Bondo Maniac

gosborne

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
When I bought my used 1999 Jeep TJ wrangler. I pretty much figured I'd be doing some work to it. No problem. I'm retired and don't mine working on my own rigs. I did plenty of upgrades and fixed broken or faulty stuff along the way. But what I didn't know was how much the owners before me loved Bondo. Not on the body but on electrical fittings, bolts,etc. When I first came across it. It was on all the switches for the aux. lights, heater switches. No such thing as using the right wire connectors. They just wrapped the wires around the plugs and covered them up with Bondo. Wire splices got twisted together and packed in a ball of Bondo.
Today I started to replace my (CKP) crankshaft position sensor. There is was again, damn Bondo. After chipping it away to find the bolts. I found small bolts encased in Bondo. Not the 7mm bolts that you would expect but 2 smaller bolts. So I chipped it away. Remove the bolts. Tapped out the Bondo from the threads and ordered me the right bolts.
Some people should never work on anything.

Last edited:
..lol Sorry about that. here you go.

bondo.jpg

Last edited:
The previous owner must have worked at a body shop. LOL When I was young and dumb and full of... I used green 3m to secure the nuts on my CZ motorcycle. I took it to the local shop for a little work and the owner told me in no uncertain terms that if I was going to use thar shit to never bring it back to his shop. I replaced all the nuts with aircraft lock nuts and never used 3m again. Live and lean.