Books on the TJ

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What are the best resources out there for learning about my Jeep? I know next to nothing about engines, suspensions, et al. I know you guys are a wealth of knowledge, but when you start talking about fixing problems in the engine or things underneath I find myself only getting bits and pieces. Then I look up those bits and pieces but still, it's hard to see the whole picture.

Reactions: SSTJ
The Factory Service Manual is really one of the only useful books you can use.

The way I've learned everything on mine is googling problems and happening to make sure I pay attention to the more logical answers coming from the more experienced forum users. Just getting info from the Internet doesn't cut it, you have to filter out the useless crap.

Through the Internet searching, troubleshooting and asking for help, combined with climbing under the Jeep every once in a while and looking around at what's down there, I've become pretty confident in my abilities and know how quite a bit of it works and how to fix it should something go wrong.

I knew absolutely nothing 5 years ago, I couldn't tell you what an alternator did back then. To date, I've swapped engines, transmissions, suspension, and will tackle nearly everything but gear work in the axles.

Helpful Internet posts and getting down there yourself and figuring out are the two best tools I've come up with.

Reactions: Travis
The Factory Service Manual is really one of the only useful books you can use.

The way I've learned everything on mine is googling problems and happening to make sure I pay attention to the more logical answers coming from the more experienced forum users. Just getting info from the Internet doesn't cut it, you have to filter out the useless crap.

Through the Internet searching, troubleshooting and asking for help, combined with climbing under the Jeep every once in a while and looking around at what's down there, I've become pretty confident in my abilities and know how quite a bit of it works and how to fix it should something go wrong.

I knew absolutely nothing 5 years ago, I couldn't tell you what an alternator did back then. To date, I've swapped engines, transmissions, suspension, and will tackle nearly everything but gear work in the axles.

Helpful Internet posts and getting down there yourself and figuring out are the two best tools I've come up with.
Thanks, and encouraging. There is hope after all! I'll get the manual. I see you're not too far from me. I'm in Fredericksburg, probably 2 1/2 hours from College Station. You wouldn't happen to be an Aggie would you? ;)

Reactions: Brantley
Thanks, and encouraging. There is hope after all! I see you're not too far from me. I'm in Fredericksburg, probably 2 1/2 hours from College Station. You wouldn't happen to be an Aggie would you? ;)

Nice, I haven't been over there since I went to Enchanted Rock a few years ago.

I sure am. Moving to Dallas next month for an internship and will be back in January to finish up my last two semesters in 2018. I'm ready to graduate!

I heard Aggie and had to check in. Class of 2004 here. I miss College Station and I miss Chili Fest in Snook. Enjoy your time there while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kyle_W and Brantley
First thing I bought when I got my Jeep was the service manual. It wasn't cheap, but it has paid off in spades so far. I'm not talking a Haynes or Clymer's manual you get at the parts store, although they can be helpful too, but the actual service manual you buy from Jeep.

Reactions: Morgan McClane
I found a Jeep TJ service manual on Ebay for $6. It was 2000+ pages as a an indexed PDF delivered as a download. It has been a valuable resource and looks to be legit. I thought I even saw one as a free download on one of the Jeep sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, and encouraging. There is hope after all! I'll get the manual. I see you're not too far from me. I'm in Fredericksburg, probably 2 1/2 hours from College Station. You wouldn't happen to be an Aggie would you? ;)

You can get a service manual off of Jeep.com - that's what auto shops use to work on the TJ. THE most comprehensive source of information on our Jeeps.

However, as Brantley said, keep your nose in this forum and soak it all in. Mr_Blaine, Jerry Bransford, Chris, to name a few, always have pertinent advice and information.

I am still learning, but have learned 95% about my Jeep from forums.

Also, sir, and @Brantley, the 13th of May we are having a Jeep outing in College Station. The more the merrier! Let me know if y'all want to come.

Reactions: JMT
What are the best resources out there for learning about my Jeep? I know next to nothing about engines, suspensions, et al. I know you guys are a wealth of knowledge, but when you start talking about fixing problems in the engine or things underneath I find myself only getting bits and pieces. Then I look up those bits and pieces but still, it's hard to see the whole picture.

I bought a Haynes manual and it's been awesome. Also google and YouTube. There are some things I won't do (I'll screw it up!!) or not strong enough, but I like knowing the basics.... some unscrupulous mechanics will take advantage of females if they're not informed. Shocker I know [emoji43]

Reactions: Kyle_W
Also, sir, and @Brantley, the 13th of May we are having a Jeep outing in College Station. The more the merrier! Let me know if y'all want to come.

What's happening at the outing?!

What's happening at the outing?!

I'm on my phone so I can't link the thread I made, but go under "regional" forums, find "Texas", and my thread is in there!

Just a group of guys going to the Brazos Valley Off-road Park in College Station, hoping to have fun!

Reactions: JMT