Bosch fuel pump strainer / filter question

WV Native

I’ve got to drop the fuel tank on my 2003 and have been gathering up components to replace the fuel pump while the tank is down. I’m at 20 years and 150k miles on the original pump so I think it’s wise to replace it.

I’ve read on here that a fella can simply replace the pump with a Bosch pump and reuse the rest of the parts on the sending unit since the assemblies are no longer available.

This is the pump I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BZL922?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

My question is in regards to the strainer/filter that comes with the pump. I’ve read accounts that the filter supplied had to be replaced but others made no mention of it. I’d like to hear from someone who has used the Bosch pump and rebuilt the pump assembly.

Will the filter supplied with the pump work or do I need to purchase another one or any other parts to make it work?

IMG_7875.jpeg

IMG_7876.jpeg

First off if you bought it from Amazon odds are it's not a genuine Bosch. Amazon and eBay are full to the brim with fakes.
Second the OEM hanger uses a very specific pump unit with a built in siphon jet. That functions to fill the bucket of the pump and keep it submerged. I'm not going to say it won't fit, just not correctly.

First off if you bought it from Amazon odds are it's not a genuine Bosch. Amazon and eBay are full to the brim with fakes.
Second the OEM hanger uses a very specific pump unit with a built in siphon jet. That functions to fill the bucket of the pump and keep it submerged. I'm not going to say it won't fit, just not correctly.

That’s not great news but I appreciate the heads up. I’m planning on dropping the tank tomorrow so I reckon I’ll find out.

I was somewhat apprehensive about rebuilding the assembly with the new pump. I wondered how difficult it would be to disassemble the assembly.

When I click on your amazon link, it shows that I last purchased it July 2020, which means that's the exact one I bought and installed in my '04. It installed fine and has been working fine ever since.

Reactions: SSTJ and WV Native
When I click on your amazon link, it shows that I last purchased it July 2020, which means that's the exact one I bought and installed in my '04. It installed fine and has been working fine ever since.

How hard was it to remove the old pump and install the new one in the fuel pump assembly?

How hard was it to remove the old pump and install the new one in the fuel pump assembly?

The hardest part is getting the white plastic lock ring off and then back on after you install the pump. The threads are difficult to line up. It's pretty straightforward once you open it up - only took a few minutes to install. Pay attention to the fuel and electrical lines you disconnect so that you don't have to guess when putting everything back together.

Reactions: JMT and WV Native
WV, I just did this a few weeks ago but with a Bosch 69316 For my ‘98. There are a total of 3 filters:
1) in the regulator as Jerry mentioned which the FSM (and both Rockauto and Mopar searches) refers to as Filter/Regulator. On Rockauto under filter it says yours is Mopar 4798301, same as mine. Several mopar filter/regulators supercede this. RA substituted 52100053, also a 49psi regulator-works fine.
2) at the bottom of the pump
3) at the bottom of the pump assembly.

The bottom of the Bosch pump strainer (similar to your pic) wasn’t right for inside the fuel pump assembly bottom. The Delphi FS0112 contains a rubber adapter and strainer that fits the pump bottom perfectly. I got the strainer at the bottom of the assembly from Orielly’s since it fit better. See pics below and good luck.
TJBUD

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0382.png

Reactions: JMT