bottle Jack Upgrades

jgaz

TJ Enthusiast
Several years ago I was installing rear leaf springs in my neighbors work van. Before we could finish the job my neighbor was called away on a family emergency. I needed at least a third hand to wrestle the springs into place. Because my floor jack was under the diff, I grabbed my old bottle jack. I stacked up a mismatched collection of boards and blocks and managed to get the springs into place.

Later I started looking for ways to improve on this situation since I knew I'd be even less likely to have help with things like this after I retired and moved out west. Searching the internet led me to a site called "safe jacks". (sorry but I don't have the link). I decide to "reverse engineer" some of their products. Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Your basic 35 year old bottle jack
jack pic 2.JPG

I started with a piece of 3/8" plate welded to a section of 1 1/4" ID tube. 1/4" would have been fine but we had the 3/8" on hand
jack pic 10.JPG

Next we welded two different lengths of 1 1/4" OD round stock into two lengths of the 1 1/4' ID tube. The shorter of these gives a 3" increase in reach while the longer piece gives a 6 1/2" increase in reach. These two lengths can be combined to give an almost 10" increase in reach
jack pic 9.JPG

Not that this pic is needed but it shows the longer extension with the flat plate. All attachments were constructed with a 1" overlap onto the jack ram.
jack pic 5.JPG

While we were at it we also fabbed up a saddle that would accept a 4 1/4" tube or axle tube. Please note: I did this project with a friend of mine. The good welds you see are probably his. If some don't look as good they are mine.
jack pic 8.JPG

Here is the completed kit shown with a new handle and a black Friday special kit bag. I glued up a double thickness of 3/4'"plywood to serve as a base for the jack and also to protect the bottom of the kit bag.
jack pic 3.JPG

This was a pretty straight forward project. I don't really know the total cost since between the two of us we had most of the material on hand to make two sets. I've used it a number of times since building it and it really makes things safer and much more convenient.

Very nice, I can definitely see benefits of those extensions and adapters for the top. The only suggestion that seems like a necessary but missing part of that kit would be a larger removable (or not) steel base to compensate for the significantly taller lift heights it is capable of. A larger steel base the jack is firmly attached to so it can't fall over when supporting something at a taller height than the jack was originally designed for.

Heck I'd buy what you made as is but would likely weld that larger steel base on if I couldn't couldn't come up with a strong enough removable steel base. :)

Thank you sir.
You have a good suggestion to improve my kit. There is an example of the base you are talking about on this site.

https://safejacks.com/collections/universal-base-plates

This is where I got (copied) my idea for my jack kit. His stuff is really nice, but a bit pricy.

I have even thought about routing out a shallow pocket in the wooden base I already have. It wouldn't take much to add a couple of removable fingers to hold the jack in the pocket. With what I've used this for so far it hasn't been a problem but then I haven't really used it on an uneven surface either. Hmmm......another project?

After the heat chased me out of the garage this afternoon I was bored. These are a few pictures of my extensions and adapters in use while I was setting up my garage/shop last year. The picture of my LJ was right after a friend scored my LJR rocker guard take offs on Craigslist. Most of my tools were still in Michigan and I was just trying to see how the guards were supposed to mount up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The one upgrade I did to my jack was bonding a rubber pad to the base. It made the jack more stable when jacking on hard surfaces like steel or concrete. Otherwise nice job on the kit.

TJ4Jim, did you do this to the stock TJ jack or a hydraulic jack like mine?

I sourced a couple of OEM bottle jacks from the bone yard that weren't flat on the bottom. I glued rubber backed carpet on the bottoms of these since I was using these jacks on a finished dry bar counter top to help me install upper cabinets.

On my bottle jack like yours. It helps hold the jack in place when doing stuff like jacking the leaf spring down on my son's XJ last week.

Jerry Bransford's near miss has given me the motivation to make a long planned modification to my jack system.

I've only used it on flat surfaces such as the garage floor and then only as a third hand. My system is cabable of increasing the reach of the jack to a point where, as others have pointed out, the jack could be more prone to tipping.

I didn't want to weld on a larger base partly because I just used the jack in a horizontal position to straighten a friends RV bumper. My jack barely fit in it's stock configuration for that job

This was a quick and dirty, no weld, modification to a block I was already using. Time will tell if there is a Mod3 version.

IMG_4459.JPG

I added a scrap of 3/4 " plywood to the original block made for the kit. I just cut a hole to closely match the size of the jack and glued the new piece to the block to form a recess.

IMG_4463.JPG

A threaded tee nut was installed in the bottom plywood to accept a 5/16 bolt which secures the jack. Ideally I'd have used two bolts diagonally opposite of each other but there was only one "ear" on the jack that would accept something larger then about a #8 screw

As I said, I've never had a problem but.......! Thanks Jerry

Last edited:
Nice work on the jack jigs jgaz. :thumbsup: You've given me some ideas.

I made a couple of adapters for lifting my front axle. I find it the easiest and fastest way to lift the front end for doing simple things like changing tires, checking brakes, lube jobs, etc.

upload_2017-7-18_8-15-33.png

upload_2017-7-18_8-15-54.png

Reactions: jgaz
Several years ago I was installing rear leaf springs in my neighbors work van. Before we could finish the job my neighbor was called away on a family emergency. I needed at least a third hand to wrestle the springs into place. Because my floor jack was under the diff, I grabbed my old bottle jack. I stacked up a mismatched collection of boards and blocks and managed to get the springs into place.

Later I started looking for ways to improve on this situation since I knew I'd be even less likely to have help with things like this after I retired and moved out west. Searching the internet led me to a site called "safe jacks". (sorry but I don't have the link). I decide to "reverse engineer" some of their products. Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Your basic 35 year old bottle jack
View attachment 4938

I started with a piece of 3/8" plate welded to a section of 1 1/4" ID tube. 1/4" would have been fine but we had the 3/8" on hand
View attachment 4939

Next we welded two different lengths of 1 1/4" OD round stock into two lengths of the 1 1/4' ID tube. The shorter of these gives a 3" increase in reach while the longer piece gives a 6 1/2" increase in reach. These two lengths can be combined to give an almost 10" increase in reach
View attachment 4940

Not that this pic is needed but it shows the longer extension with the flat plate. All attachments were constructed with a 1" overlap onto the jack ram.
View attachment 4941

While we were at it we also fabbed up a saddle that would accept a 4 1/4" tube or axle tube. Please note: I did this project with a friend of mine. The good welds you see are probably his. If some don't look as good they are mine.
View attachment 4942

Here is the completed kit shown with a new handle and a black Friday special kit bag. I glued up a double thickness of 3/4'"plywood to serve as a base for the jack and also to protect the bottom of the kit bag.
View attachment 4943

This was a pretty straight forward project. I don't really know the total cost since between the two of us we had most of the material on hand to make two sets. I've used it a number of times since building it and it really makes things safer and much more convenient.
Nice work...Wanna sell a few?

Nice work...Wanna sell a few?
Sorry, but no. I did those pieces as “government work” before I retired.

Something like that project could be easily done during my lunch break while employed. At that time I had access to a large assortment of metal working tools.

@PC06 has some great ideas in his post above for some simpler designs that accomplish the same results.