Looking for suggestions on a replacement bottle jack

Reactions: derekmac
Nice tool. I like the 6000lb one which reaches up to 21 1/2”, at only $50. Thanks for sharing.
I did end up buying one of the 6000lb ones, and I love it. After a couple of guys seen it being used on a run, they ordered one too. I use mine in the garage quite a bit too.

I did end up buying one of the 6000lb ones, and I love it. After a couple of guys seen it being used on a run, they ordered one too. I use mine in the garage quite a bit too.
I watched the video. Is it decently fast? I think either way I’m all in. This is a safe, small and cost effective solution. I’m pumped (no pun intended).

So good my Hi-Lift hasn't been out of my shed since probably 2004. My opinion is the newer the off-roader, the more likely it is he'll be convinced he absolutely needs one. As I did my first 7-8 years of offroading. :)
Yeah, I don't remember when was the last time I used mine in the trails.
It was bought when I was a rookie, and I remember I bought it because I see it cool to display.

Last edited:
Seeing this photo of the last time I used my Hi-Lift in 2003 was the clincher for me to never use one again.

This photo was taken on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley after I broke a front axle shaft on my previous (stolen) TJ. I'm removing it so I can finish the trail in 3wd which makes it tough to finish that particular trail. The jack was straight when I first jacked up the side but the Hi-Lift is so unstable at tall lift heights that it started leaning without me realizing it. With more experience with that level of repair I would have known to use the bottle jack to simply jack up the front axle which would have worked better, faster, and far more safely.

This is an embarrassing photo for me but it was good for learning a lesson... don't use a Hi-Lift when a bottle jack will do. Oh... that big rock placed precariously under the Hi-Lift was only because the Hi-Lift couldn't lift the Jeep up far enough to get the axle up high enough to get the tire off & tear the axle down. Yes the axle was strapped to the frame. The second photo shows where the axle broke, the third shows where the axle had been strapped up to the frame in a futile attempt to prevent it from sagging while jacking the body up with the Hi-Lift.

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0048withArrow.jpg

DSCF0051.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: jeep_boss
Bumping an old thread. I also don't have the factory bottle jack. How many tons is the stock one / how many tons bottle jack should I buy? I need one immediately, so I don't have time to source a used one.

Reactions: Xposure
Bumping an old thread. I also don't have the factory bottle jack. How many tons is the stock one / how many tons bottle jack should I buy? I need one immediately, so I don't have time to source a used one.
I actually haven't been able to get a clear answer here either on what the stock jack was rated for. I went with a 6 ton Craftsman Bottle Jack but mainly because of the height range it gives you. I can put it under the axle and get a wheel high enough to change a tire. The one I bought is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L2K56S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However I think any 4 ton jack would work if you had some additional help (block of wood) with the height issue that comes with them. (They're slightly too short). The 6 ton one I picked up works great, used it many times so far and fits under the passenger seat just fine. If you need one in a hurry, grab any prime eligible 6 ton jack and you'll be happy.

A 2 ton at the minimum but a 4 ton gives additional height. Make sure it works before you just start carrying it. I was wheeling with a friend when he needed his new bottle jack. It didn't work, it leaked hydraulic fluid like crazy the first time it had a load on it.

eBay carries used OE factory jacks, I'd get one on there together with the crank & 2-piece rod it requires.

Thank you. I need it tomorrow, if not today. My floor jack broke and I need to replace my brakes (bought some Black Magics) tomorrow before I leave for a road trip Friday. So, it’ll definitely be tested.

I carry the factory jack (which I have never had occasion to use) and also a 6-ton bottle jack. The 6-ton jack sees the most use of any jack I own with the possible exception of the floor jack in my garage. Two of the reasons I picked 6-ton over 4-ton were the additional lift height and the diameter of the 6-ton ram which better fits the extensions and jack pads that I purchased from Bogert Manufacturing.*

Bottle jacks are relatively cheap at Wally World, Harbor Freight, Costco, etc.

I don't use a jack, since i go to the gym and can just lift up the side of the jeep. The weight savings of not carrying a bottle jack has brought an increase of 5 hp.

Now.. if you really need a jack.. why not tow a floor jack? That's a good compromise for sure!

:coleman:

I actually haven't been able to get a clear answer here either on what the stock jack was rated for. I went with a 6 ton Craftsman Bottle Jack but mainly because of the height range it gives you. I can put it under the axle and get a wheel high enough to change a tire. The one I bought is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L2K56S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However I think any 4 ton jack would work if you had some additional help (block of wood) with the height issue that comes with them. (They're slightly too short). The 6 ton one I picked up works great, used it many times so far and fits under the passenger seat just fine. If you need one in a hurry, grab any prime eligible 6 ton jack and you'll be happy.

Does that Craftsman you bought fit under the passenger seat?

Does that Craftsman you bought fit under the passenger seat?
Oh yeah! I think it’s a really good bottle jack and the size is perfect. Does not move while driving but off-road it may make a little noise but you can bungee it down too. I definitely recommend!

Davey's jeeps has the factory bottle jack kit (jack + rods). My TJR came with the factory set thankfully and I have so far only tried using the jack in my garage after I got my new rims/tires so that I am aware of what to do if a need arises in the future (I run a matched spare/rim on my jeep and plan to do a 5 tire rotation). The factory jack and the kit fit well underneath the passenger seat.

does anyone have a picture of how their stock bottle jack and the rods/lug wrench mount in & around the passenger seat? I don't see any brackets to fit anything into, & is there supposed to be some kind of strap to hold down the jack? I have the jack itself, the 2 piece rod and the lug wrench & I'd like to mount them properly rather than it all taking up space in my tool box...

Ok, so I've read that the factory bottle jack is sufficient to lift 35" tires enough to change a flat. That's great even better considering I'm running 33" tires. My problem is the factory bottle jack and rods to work the jack didn't come with my 06 wrangler X. I've looked an the only thing I've found is a used bottle jack set on eBay. Was really wanting a new kit but can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?
All cars use the same basic screw type bottle jack ...My TJ came without one also ....went to the local salvage yard and got one out of a 2007 Chevy truck complete with folding handle for $20...works great ...you'll have to get a separate lug wrench....take care

Oh yeah! I think it’s a really good bottle jack and the size is perfect. Does not move while driving but off-road it may make a little noise but you can bungee it down too. I definitely recommend!
When the factory jack is mounted in its mounting bracket under the seat, you unscrew it so the jack extends outward enough to hold the jack tightly between its two mounting points. When properly extended, the jack also serves to secure the jack handle and prevent it from rattling.

This is the best photo I have found which shows its mounting point. But IIRC, the owner has the below jack rotated 90 degrees from its proper orientation where the knob the jack handle fits into should be pointing straight up. That orientation allows it to lock into its bracket and gives good access to the knob so it can be turned to extend the jack so it locks firmly in place between its mounting brackets. I'd take a photo of mine but the shoulder harnesses that pass through the seat prevent me from moving the seat forward enough to expose the jack.

The tools are secured with the pair of velcro straps adjacent to the passenger side seat base

Jack.JPG

Last edited:
When it is mounted in its mounting bracket under the seat, you unscrew it so the jack extends outward enough to hold the jack tightly between its two mounting points. When properly extended, the jack also serves to secure the jack handle and prevent it from rattling.

This is the best photo I have found which shows its mounting point. But IIRC, the owner has the below jack rotated 90 degrees from its proper orientation where the knob the jack handle fits into should be pointing straight up. That orientation allows it to lock into its bracket and gives good access to the knob so it can be turned to extend the jack so it locks firmly in place between its mounting brackets. I'd take a photo of mine but the shoulder harnesses that pass through the seat prevent me from moving the seat forward enough to expose the jack.

View attachment 51207
Thats actually pretty cool, i've never seen how the stock jack was mounted as mine did not come with one...that absolutely makes sense though, I really like that!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford