Looking for suggestions on a replacement bottle jack

Len

Ok, so I've read that the factory bottle jack is sufficient to lift 35" tires enough to change a flat. That's great even better considering I'm running 33" tires. My problem is the factory bottle jack and rods to work the jack didn't come with my 06 wrangler X. I've looked an the only thing I've found is a used bottle jack set on eBay. Was really wanting a new kit but can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

Ok, so I've read that the factory bottle jack is sufficient to lift 35" tires enough to change a flat. That's great even better considering I'm running 33" tires. My problem is the factory bottle jack and rods to work the jack didn't come with my 06 wrangler X. I've looked an the only thing I've found is a used bottle jack set on eBay. Was really wanting a new kit but can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

I don't think you'll find a new one. As far as I know Jeep doesn't manufacture them anymore.

Why does it need to be a new one out of curiosity?

I'd just go for something like this:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=322334897200

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I was in the same boat, what I got is a hi lift jack I mount to my hood (but many many mounting options available) and a hi lift jack mate (an attachment with two hooks that lift your wheel directly) and then a jack stand I keep with me stowed away to put under the axle and then lower it down to do tire swap. Love the setup as I can also use my jack for winching and getting out of sticky situations offroad. All in all I spent $100 on the lift, the attachment, and the stand (I already had a set of four though) best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine came imcomplete so I bought a bottle jack from Harbor Freight. Cost was about 30 bucks and it works well and stows easily. Do not use a hi lift for tire changes. Those things are unstable and unsafe.

Do not use a hi lift for tire changes. Those things are unstable and unsafe.

X2. This has been discussed all over the web on any serious off-road forum. Hi-Lift jacks are dangerous when it comes to changing tires.

Heck, there was a thread about this recently which can be found here: High lift jack

Reactions: Kent Dakin and Len
X2. This has been discussed all over the web on any serious off-road forum. Hi-Lift jacks are dangerous when it comes to changing tires.

Heck, there was a thread about this recently which can be found here: High lift jack

Yes if you use one to lift from the body.. however if you use the hi lift jack from the wheel itself, VERY little travel is needed. In fact an inch off the ground is ALL you need and then the jack stand goes under your axle and you drop the axle down on the stand to do the tire change. That is the correct way to change a tire with a hi lift jack. You are thinking of the unsafe way people who don't have them constantly spread. NEVER lift from the body with a hi lift and expect to change a tire.. that's just dumb and people who own a hi lift know this

Yes if you use one to lift from the body.. however if you use the hi lift jack from the wheel itself, VERY little travel is needed. In fact an inch off the ground is ALL you need and then the jack stand goes under your axle and you drop the axle down on the stand to do the tire change. That is the correct way to change a tire with a hi lift jack. You are thinking of the unsafe way people who don't have them constantly spread. NEVER lift from the body with a hi lift and expect to change a tire.. that's just dumb and people who own a hi lift know this

I will admit, I've never used a hi-lift at all, so I defer to you on this one (and I'll take your word for it). I'd just heard so many negative things that I never bought one.

But yes, what you're saying makes sense. I would never try to lift it from the body, that seems like a recipe for disaster. I guess I've never needed one thus far just because the few times I have had to use it, my stock bottle jack worked just fine.

I will admit, I've never used a hi-lift at all, so I defer to you on this one (and I'll take your word for it). I'd just heard so many negative things that I never bought one.

But yes, what you're saying makes sense. I would never try to lift it from the body, that seems like a recipe for disaster. I guess I've never needed one thus far just because the few times I have had to use it, my stock bottle jack worked just fine.

Easier than hauling around a jack stand in your trunk 24/7 [emoji23][emoji23]. I wish the PO didn't lose mine.

Reactions: Chris

That is a safe way. Of course you have to carry a jack stand along with everything else. You are right though, those that jack their rig wayyyy in the air and leave it sitting on the jack during the swap is an accident in the making.

Anyone know what the actual range is of the stock jack? How tall it is collapsed and extended?

Reactions: Len
Stick with the factory jack. A used factory jack is better, faster, and far safer than a brand new Hi-Lift. And as said above, the factory jack is more than tall enough for 35's and even 37's in a pinch.

My personal theory is the newer the Jeeper is to offroading, the more he'll be absolutely positively convinced he needs a Hi-Lift. And the more experienced a Jeeper is at offroading, the more he'll understand it is not. I stopped carrying my Hi-Lift 13 years ago when I moved to it to my backyard shed.

Here's a pic I took of my factory jack lifting my 35" tire about 3" off the garage floor...

35OnOEjack.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks guys, bit the bullet an ordered a used complete bottle jack set off eBay. I needed the rods as well. That was the only thing I didn't like about the complete set. They're kinda rusty looking but hey, sand paper an paint should do the trick.

Here's a pic I took of my factory jack lifting my 35" tire about 3" off the garage floor...
View attachment 7763

I have a Hi-Lift that came with my Jeep (from PO) and tested it out today and am not comfortable using it to change a tire. It looks like your jack is on the axle by the shock - is that the best/safest place to use as a jack point? If so, I think I'm sticking with the stock jack, and I'll be happy that it takes up much less space than the Hi-Lift. I've got a 2.5" lift and 33s.

Reactions: VallenMaes
Hi-lift is good for trails if you know how to use.
So good my Hi-Lift hasn't been out of my shed since probably 2004. My opinion is the newer the off-roader, the more likely it is he'll be convinced he absolutely needs one. As I did my first 7-8 years of offroading. :)

Reactions: TJ2