Bottoming out when braking

NPhopper

TJ Enthusiast
Original poster
Hello let me start by saying ive never posted on this forum before. Let me also state i know close to nothing about suspension. I recently installed black magics brakes 15 in big brake kit. Ordered directly from @mrblaine. This is a phenomenal kit, best brakes I've ever had. I have 31s at the moment but plan on getting bumpers and moving up to 35s in the future so that's why i went for the kit now because the brakes needed replacing and i dont have a whole lot of money. Rather spend the money now then spend the money on new calipers and everything just to replace them. Anyway a little background on this jeep.

Its a 2004 jeep wrangler and had a soft top from the factory but P.O. put a hardtop on it.
its got 102000 miles. '
Im finding most things being original and replacing them.
it has a 2 in puck spring lift from teraflex on top of the spring(cant wait to get rid of this )

Now to the problem when braking really hard it seems im getting a clunk first things first i checked all the caliper bolts and everything from the brake job, everything was tight as expected. i checked all the lower control arms and upper control arms, all were tight . noticed the front axle u joints had a little play and look original. (going to replace those soon).I dont see the u joint being the cause of the clunk. now let me state the cluck only happens when going to a complete stop quickly not when just braking or going over bumps.

I decided to put an old action like cheap camera i had facing to make sure the calipers weren't moving. so i did and in the video i see my calipers look fine although i noticed my bump stops or what i think is the bump stops( small boot contacting the axle) and when i brake it hits it and thats when the clunk occurs.Im going to post the video hopefully i figure out how . lol

Is the thing i think the bump stop is suppose to contact the axle like that? I think all of this is the original components. So could my shocks and springs be worn out? could it have to do with the 2 inch spring puck lift? Or is this normal and not the source of the clunk i am hearing. @Jerry Bransford @mrblaine

There's too short of a space available under the bump stop. It's hard to see clearly but it looks like someone added a bump stop extension which is making the bump stop too long for the height your of suspension lift.

Can you take a good clear well-lit (use your flash) photo of your spring assembly so the bump stop can be seen clearly?

Hows this ?

1610056551697696032559867095938.jpg

Good, remove that silver colored spacer which has removed too much space away from the bump stop to be able to work properly in without limiting travel too much.

He needs to check shock travel. Looks like stock shocks and the bump stop may have been added along with a budget boost.
Hmmm welp this means its time to learn about suspension, and a great time to buy everything needed to incorporate the currie 4 inch lift. Perfect excuse... now i just need 4000 dollars...lol

Unrelated question but somewhat related i have a small amount of moment in the caliper from the big brake kit i check the torque on all of the bolts and all is good its not moment at the caliper saddle but its at where the caliper attaches to the saddle is this normal?i assume it is but i wanna just make sure while im going through all this trouble. Thanks for yalls help i really appreciate it!

Hmmm welp this means its time to learn about suspension, and a great time to buy everything needed to incorporate the currie 4 inch lift. Perfect excuse... now i just need 4000 dollars...lol

Unrelated question but somewhat related i have a small amount of moment in the caliper from the big brake kit i check the torque on all of the bolts and all is good its not moment at the caliper saddle but its at where the caliper attaches to the saddle is this normal?i assume it is but i wanna just make sure while im going through all this trouble. Thanks for yalls help i really appreciate it!
Sometimes the caliper guide pins need to be pulled and greased back up with silicone brake grease. It is normal to have slight movement but not so much that the caliper squares itself up each time you step on the pedal.

Sometimes the caliper guide pins need to be pulled and greased back up with silicone brake grease. It is normal to have slight movement but not so much that the caliper squares itself up each time you step on the pedal.
Thanks i will do that... definitely wont have any effect on my current problem but it will keep the brakes in good shape.

Just wanted to mention black magic brakes is one of the best customer service and companies ive seen.. i wont hesitate and sure as hell dont mind if its a little more money than other places.. ill always purchase from you. Including the future rear disc conversion. Keep it up man !

Reactions: mrblaine