Bought a 2005 LJ yesterday

2busy2work

I just purchased a 2005 LJ. It is an 4.0L with auto transmission with 140K miles. It is pretty much a stock LJ. So far, I have found no rust other than a few paint chips and a few small dings.

20191230_150747 (Large).jpg

It does have a few issues that will have to be addressed. It will pop a code when cold - something about the cam sensor replacement. It has some shimmy that feels like tire shimmy and not DW. The tires need replacing and the wheels have the wrong backspace. You can see all the spray down both sides from a mud puddle. So, I plan to find some OEM wheels to get the backspace correct and install OEM tire size since I don't do hard core offroading. I hope that fixes the shimmy. I feel a little vibration at speed that may be a bearing or u-joint. Both diffs need pinion seals. I already ordered some fitted floor mats, rear window lift rods and a cheap steering stabilizer.

20191222_094456 (Large).jpg

It needed a deep cleaning especially on the inside. So today I cleaned it up and changed the oil to synthetic. I have been reading about PM and common issues here on the forum and will start replacing spark plugs, o2 sensors, cooling system, etc. And I may go ahead and swap to a WranglerFix PCM just to be ahead of any shifting issues. I mostly read the forum for help and have already benefitted from many of the threads I read. So, thanks for any help offered in advance.

Charlie

Reactions: DrDmoney
Looks like a nice platform to start with. Did you get it in Georgia? You can find some Jeeps in pretty good shape in the south.

I'd get rid of the cold air intake and go back to the stock air box. You're not getting any better performance and the stock set up with a good filter will be better for your throttle body. It also looks like you may have a throttle body spacer. You could remove that too. It doesn't really help with these motors.

A good source for used OEM parts is www.daveysjeeps.com and www.car-part.com/ .

The How-To forum and the Resources forum here will be a big help. You can download factory service manuals in the Resource Forum.

On a side note, I know those style wheels are pretty dated, but they have always been one of my favorite styles. I have a set of American Racing Outlaw II's on my '99 Silverado for the last 20 years. My brother calls them old man wheels. LOL

Thanks guys. It is a Florida, Georgia, Alabama and now back to Georgia Jeep. I will look for the intake parts and airbox thanks for the info. I try to keep my vehicles close to stock.

I have already found the manuals and they have helped me figure out a few things.

The wheels are not going to stay...the wife doesn't like them at all. I would keep them if they did not sling road water and debris all over the sides. But, I am going to change them and get some better tires.

I am glad to hear the WranglerFix PCM is working well. I will be adding the WranglerFix as soon as I can get one ordered. I want to talk to Mark first to be sure and get the right one.

I knew I wanted the LJ when I started looking. I wanted the space to carry three Boykin Spaniels, hunting gear and the towing capacity. Also, Ihad a 1962 CJ6 many years ago. So, this is almost nostalgic for me.

Thanks, I will be lurking unless I find something that may be helpful to the group.