Bought a Jeep on a whim

Jeepwan

I was keeping an eye on the auto pages, saying maybe I'll just think about it. Then I decided to message someone just to maybe talk. Then I went see one, thinking I'll just see one. All of a sudden, I'm driving back with a 2004 Jeep TJ Sahara. Never had a jeep before, or a car actually! Got a good deal though with 173,000 KM (107,000 miles)

Good:
Frame is in good shape
Not too too much rust underneath
Came with the original tires and the big ones on there
Engine running fine as far as I can tell
Interior isn't too banged up for the most part
Bluetooth alpine system means I'm not stuck without modern driving aids

Bad:
Missing a fender flare and fender is banged up
Sometimes takes a couple tries to start
Headlights seem a little shoddy
Brakes aren't great but also that could be a jeep thing?
Some rust on the body

But anyways, happy to be part of the Jeep community. I have been excitingly waving at every Jeep I see.

What can I expect, what should I do, what are your tips!

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-19 at 10.29.43 PM.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Now that you own a Jeep, you should prepare to have your wallet emptied! Cuz there’s always something you’ll wanna get for it!

Don’t ask me how I know that! 🤣

Reactions: Ron505
Looks great. Plenty of options for the radio these days that have all those modern features. The flares are easy to find. All the brake parts are pretty inexpensive, it's always worth doing them on a new rig. The brakes aren't great but they shouldn't scare you. Take a look at blackmagicbrakes.com when you get to servicing the brakes, not the cheapest but the money is well spent. Personally as a minimum I'd change all the fluids: oil; transmission; brake; coolant; transfer case; diffs. Don't take the previous owners word for when anything was serviced.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Looks like a project, but a fun one if you have the time and money. I’d start by fixing things up.

Reactions: Head Lice
I was keeping an eye on the auto pages, saying maybe I'll just think about it. Then I decided to message someone just to maybe talk. Then I went see one, thinking I'll just see one. All of a sudden, I'm driving back with a 2004 Jeep TJ Sahara. Never had a jeep before, or a car actually! Got a good deal though with 173,000 KM (107,000 miles)

Good:
Frame is in good shape
Not too too much rust underneath
Came with the original tires and the big ones on there
Engine running fine as far as I can tell
Interior isn't too banged up for the most part
Bluetooth alpine system means I'm not stuck without modern driving aids

Bad:
Missing a fender flare and fender is banged up
Sometimes takes a couple tries to start
Headlights seem a little shoddy
Brakes aren't great but also that could be a jeep thing?
Some rust on the body

But anyways, happy to be part of the Jeep community. I have been excitingly waving at every Jeep I see.

What can I expect, what should I do, what are your tips!

View attachment 253588
Howdeeee

...........and I ALWAYS wonder why people cover their license plates in pics, WHY ??? you drive around with them, and park everywhere with them every day ?? Enlighten me !
Depending on the state, your info can be public based on the plate number or the person/entity asking. For my part, I had my California plates blocked (confidential) at the DMV for many years up until recently. Had all of my DMV paperwork sent to a PO Box too. Sometimes it's just to make it harder for someone to be a stalker. If you've had a stalker, you'd understand. Sometimes it's -fuck you- I don't want you to see my underwear. I walk around with boxers on and sometimes people see them. Doesn't mean that I actively want people to know what color my chones are. The State that I live in now has a County code prior to the plate number so just by looking at my plate you could tell what County I'm in. Maybe that's a factor. What's actually alarming is when people put their HAM call sign as their plate. All of the info associated with that call sign (at least what was submitted) is available in a few seconds online.

Depending on the state, your info can be public based on the plate number or the person/entity asking. For my part, I had my California plates blocked (confidential) at the DMV for many years up until recently. Had all of my DMV paperwork sent to a PO Box too. Sometimes it's just to make it harder for someone to be a stalker. If you've had a stalker, you'd understand. Sometimes it's -fuck you- I don't want you to see my underwear. I walk around with boxers on and sometimes people see them. Doesn't mean that I actively want people to know what color my chones are. The State that I live in now has a County code prior to the plate number so just by looking at my plate you could tell what County I'm in. Maybe that's a factor. What's actually alarming is when people put their HAM call sign as their plate. All of the info associated with that call sign (at least what was submitted) is available in a few seconds online.
Ok, but every day you drive on the road & park in parking lots your plate number & the vin on your dash are exposed !!!

Reactions: MikekiM
This is EXACTLY right. Don't put any info out there that you just don't have to. A few hundred people might see my plate in person, as opposed to BILLIONS on-line. And yea, that's why I don't get a Ham plate either - and have a PO box for my Ham license.

Its called "Limit your exposure" (as much as you can). My legal name is very difficult to find on the 'net. Certainly not impossible, but MUCH harder than most. That is by design...

Reactions: ejay