Bought an LJ

Lax22

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
found a great deal on a 1 owner 2006 LJ Rubicon yesterday. 6-speed manual and Pretty much rust free. Going to be a fun project, my second LJ but I’ve never owned any TJ or LJ newer than 04. I’m aware of the OPDA issues but with 236k I’ll run it till it needs to be addressed. It sounds damn good, No codes and passed emissions.
080257C8-2B16-4947-9CC4-BAECAF48CE70.jpeg

Nice. I'm looking into another Rubi TJ. LJ Rubicons are like unicorns nowadays.
I’ve noticed that. The prices on them are crazy, which is another reason I was surprised I got this one for what I did. Have a little work to do but it was the original owners daily driver so it doesn’t need much.

found a great deal on a 1 owner 2006 LJ Rubicon yesterday. 6-speed manual and Pretty much rust free. Going to be a fun project, my second LJ but I’ve never owned any TJ or LJ newer than 04. I’m aware of the OPDA issues but with 236k I’ll run it till it needs to be addressed. It sounds damn good, No codes and passed emissions.
View attachment 239813
Brother??
Looks like mine when I first got it, along with the one fog light lol
20190727_135548.jpg

That's what everyone starts out saying. Then you realize how awesome they wheel...
Yeah, the extra wheel base would be great but I already have a TJ that handles the east coast trails pretty well, so I can’t justify having two jeeps for trail duty.

I haven’t done much with the LJ, just trying to prep it for some upcoming work and refreshing the suspension. I did get the original soft top patched up and broke loose some questionable bolts. My Current plan is to keep as close to stock as possible since it’s going to be mostly on road. I plan to run rancho shocks with a 1-inch coil spacer (maybe) and keeping the stock springs. It has a 1-inch poly body lift that I am replacing with stock bushings and MORE 1-inch aluminum pucks. Currently it’s on pretty much new 245x75r16 Goodyear duratracs and I don’t want to go any larger since I already have a TJ on 35s.

With 236k on the clock I started general maintenance with a tune up and crown OPDA for good measure. Probably should have left it alone but its easy to change while doing the tune up so I figured why not. Right after I buttoned everything up, I was having the P0340 code and long start with bucking while driving. I wiggled the plug and it started with no hesitation, I wiggled it again and long start with code. I read about issues with aftermarket cam sensors; however, the original mopar sensor was seized in the old OPDA, so I was forced to keep the crown sensor for the time being. During my troubleshooting of the wire harness, I Unplugged the sensor and saw that one of the pins had not aligned properly and was pushed out of the back of the sensor side of the plug.

I reset the pin and plugged it back in and it’s been fine for the last few days. Still I ordered a Napa Camshaft Position Sensor and crank sensor because I could not source a mopar part. Just documenting my experience for the forum and anyone else with issues, maybe it will help save someone time and stress.

here is a picture of its current state

3F138647-92C1-4F88-BC0E-3DE3D261BF6C.jpeg

I agree just needs outboards, 40s, stretch, D60s, coilovers, cage and highlines with half doors to spruce it up.

Precisely why I never bought an Unlimited. I'd end up spending even more money on it than I have on my TJ, which seems almost impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj