Boulder to San Diego Overlanding

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I posted a couple weeks ago in the Colorado section I was making this trip and got some good suggestions on how to get home to San Diego.

I’m still on the road, camping on Mingus Mtn Trail outside of Sedona so I will post different places I travelled day by day. It might take me a week or so.

So a couple of caveats:
1. I’m in my JKU
2. I didn’t catch any fish (yet)

Here is what’s coming. I think I have photos of everything and some video.

Colorado:
Mosquito Pass
Weston Pass
Engineer Pass
Rim Rocker (Montrose to Moab)

Moab:
La Sal Pass
Fins and Things

Sedona:
Shnebly Hill
Broken Arrow
Soldiers Pass
Diamondback Gulch
Outlaw
Mingus Mtn

not sure if I will run anything through Havasu or SoCal on the way home. I’m making it up day by day.

Mosquito Pass - 13,185 ft

It’s a pretty barren mountain pass, very narrow ledge trail, rocky but not technical. This is supposed to be the highest vehicle road in Colorado, maybe the whole country then too? A good start to the trip.

12837567-35B0-4292-A73E-A3C243AC96CD.jpeg

4B9078C7-2486-4A69-9BB5-2E0B4E90AB00.jpeg

6CEA7FB1-8A04-4C05-B1D3-A650E79DECF9.jpeg

D7581A18-4DCD-4988-B5E9-45FE83F20E55.jpeg

Being solo has its pros and cons.

On the pros, I don’t have any plans and make choices day by day.

On the cons, I can’t afford to take too much risk, and I don’t have any friends 🤣

Weston Pass - 11,921 ft

This is just a gravel road over the Pass I ran from east to west. The road follows a stream and the scenery is much nicer with tons of great dispersed camping sites by the water. As you get close to the top there are beaver ponds of crystal clear water.

3EE7FD41-655B-4199-9249-DC3E49F5535D.jpeg

C2EA2409-8D1E-439B-A3D0-0B560A370F72.jpeg

71AE0404-9FE3-49A5-9EF5-B207EFB56D70.jpeg

ACB4F660-17B1-4791-82FA-B1EF12974F76.jpeg

Engineer Pass - 12,800’

I drove Engineer Pass from east to west ending up in Ouray. The climb was very simple, and similar to Mosquito Pass. Narrow rocky ledge roads with fantastic views. The decent was similar until tree line. Once you are in the trees on the Ouray side it’s quite a technical road. I think it would be tough to climb that side in the wet. I had to walk a few sections to pick a line before I drove them but nothing was more than ‘moderate’. I didn’t take any good photos or video of the technical section, sorry.

This section I made a YouTube video 🤣

Rim Rocker part 1 - Montrose to Nucla

After completing Engineer Pass I drove straight through Ouray to Montrose,filled up with gas, stopped at Safeway for food and headed West on 90 into the Uncompahgre National Forest.

This is washboard forest road, pleasant scenery but not outstanding. I averaged 50mph and was passed by lifted F150’s doing 70 towing trailers to haul dead elk out of the forest. The whole whole forest is marked for logging and hunting.

I would skip this section and never recommend it to anyone considering Rim Rocker. Just start the trip in Nucla.

I eventually found a safe place to camp away from the hunters but with the cows all night as a storm came through.

4C7A1F73-424F-4D60-B6E3-9326E361D1C2.jpeg

F2057820-900D-462F-9C93-5C6B79BD89B7.jpeg

Rim Rocker part 2 - Nucla to Moab

The section from Nucla to Hwy 141 near Gateway is so much fun. Navigation is easy, the scenery is amazing, the roads are easy but interesting to drive. I think this section is really the highlight and well worth the effort. The water crossings were completely dry for me unfortunately. I did not see a single other person on this section.

At Hwy 141 I stopped by the river, swam and fished, then started the climb back up onto the ridge. The navigation on this section was tricker because a couple of RR sign posts had been broken in half so I didn’t know whether to turn left or right. I did have a compass and paper map so I was able to figure it out but had to back track 1 section. Much slower driving and very rocky along this section.Again very isolated and I didn’t see anyone else.

As you approach Colorado the terrain becomes forest and you hit the state line. This is a decent camping spot. Descend out of the mountains onto Utah plain as you approach La Sal range to the east of Moab. Again a missing RR Sign post and I missed a turn.

By the time I realized my mistake I was at the top of La Sal Pass near Mt Peale and decided to descend La Sal Pass 4x4 trail into Moab rather than backtrack. This was a moderate technical track. I took one fork which I ended up backing down because it became too narrow for my JK. Finally I was in Spanish Valley after a long day.

I made a 3.5 minute video compilation for this section.

Fins & Things, Moab

I don’t need to describe this trail. I made a short highlight video (2 mins). I ran this on the same day I rolled into town after the Rim Rocker so I didn’t start until 6p so I only ran the radio tower loop and only saw 1 other person on the trail. It was a perfect temperature and very fun evening drive.

Afterwards I ate at Blu Pig which is great BBQ and I highly recommend.

Yes... broken arrow is a great trail!

You headed back west via the 8?

If so... check out the valley of names near yuma.. picacho mtns... glamis.. and anza/ocotillo.

Ill actually be in ocotillo this sat.

You’re welcome! I learned from raising children and watching friends videos of their children to keep my videos very short.
😂
Well, I was trying to find a nice way to say it (but gave up on it) that I also appreciate the lack of commentary. It was easy to enjoy what your videos had to offer based on their visual merits, alone. Good job! (y)

Soldier’s Pass, Sedona

I recommend this as a hike rather than a drive. It’s a very scenic area and it was kind of fun to get the $6 pass from recreation.gov and have the gate code to drive in but it’s just a mini-Broken Arrow crowded by hikers.

4E5A3243-D103-4A69-8B0E-7D02EA2AB185.jpeg
11883B9D-1CCB-43AF-B621-7AB20B1FD4CF.jpeg
A72EFBAE-A0FD-4638-81B6-EC79D81B1A91.jpeg
2F3248D9-65C9-496E-B0EC-12A7045BB3C7.jpeg

Reactions: Squatch