Boxing in lower control arm mount

Lonewolf

TJ Enthusiast
I wanted to strengthen the lower control arm mounts and was wondering if I can just use a piece of 3/16 plate and weld it in and leave about a 1/2 inch from the lca. Or should I wait and order the Currie mini skids , does the extra length and offset on the Currie skids make a difference? Or am I overthinking it?

I'd get the currie. They're offset/angled just a bit that allows them to box in the entire underside of the joint housing. Similar to the artec ones I have

20200424_082005.jpg

Reactions: SvtLdr
x2 on waiting for the Currie skids. The offset allows the skid to weld to the axle tube. This provides more strength (3 welds) than just connecting the bracket sides to each other (2 welds).

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Reactions: JMT
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The Rock Jock and JKS are both the OGS or Offroad General Store versions that were done by Hinkley at some point. RJ now does their own in the design, JKS does theirs and depending on how well the knock off is done, it can or cannot be good.

• Haha
The Rock Jock and JKS are both the OGS or Offroad General Store versions that were done by Hinkley at some point. RJ now does their own in the design, JKS does theirs and depending on how well the knock off is done, it can or cannot be good.
To get the best ones should I get the RockJock design?

good place to scratch that weldin itch.
That and I want to do the 1/4" weld washers for the front lower CA's. I can't find any weld washers that are 2" OD and 9/16" ID, so I guess I am just going to make those with my rudimentary tools.

Not if you know what you are looking at. Enlarge the eBay version and look at the bend line and how short both the tang that welds to the axle tube and the bent flanges are.
I see it now.

@mrblaine, I went out and measured the front lower CA for a 2” OD weld washer and it takes me all the way to the edge of the stock bracket. Are you sure you’re supposed to use a 2” OD weld washer?

Also, it looks like I could use them on the front and rear CA frame mounts. Is it okay to cut all of that away in the pic below?
75AB634D-6CCC-4C7A-B470-54FEAE744ED0.jpeg

One of my front stock CA brackets is misaligned. Thus the need for mini skids before this happened. 😒
75DED0AE-B251-431B-8A61-5E50DC59EBDF.jpeg

Looks like I need to trim the front shock mounts so the CA’s clear during articulation. ☹️
739D6E90-E628-4BD4-A242-4934AAFFBCC4.jpeg

I would advise you to stay away from Artec brackets. They should be included in the hangy downy thread....
The main problem is that the angle is far steeper than stock and hangs lower than stock. I made my own 3/16" brackets that mimicked stock. The steeper angle of the Artec bracket will stop you in your tracks while the stock and similar will act more like a ramp. In the picture, the cardboard is stock.

PXL_20220223_015547996.jpg

@mrblaine, I went out and measured the front lower CA for a 2” OD weld washer and it takes me all the way to the edge of the stock bracket. Are you sure you’re supposed to use a 2” OD weld washer?
You want the washer close to the OD of the joint body. If you want the joint body to take all the abuse, then use heavy grade 8 washers under the head of the bolt and under the nut and trim away to that without a weld washer.
Also, it looks like I could use them on the front and rear CA frame mounts. Is it okay to cut all of that away in the pic below?
That really weakens the mount. Are you sure you want that?
View attachment 311419
One of my front stock CA brackets is misaligned. Thus the need for mini skids before this happened. 😒
View attachment 311420

Looks like I need to trim the front shock mounts so the CA’s clear during articulation. ☹️
Yes you do.

I was going to order some. I'm not spending over a dollar apiece in shipping because they are too stupid to use USPS Priority Flat Rate which would cost 7.50 for the 20 I was ordering. Morons.
When I ordered mine from them they did use USPS flat rate box shipping