Bragging Moment: Pulled a Chevy 2500 out of the ditch

ballpark

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Michigan got some snow this morning. Maybe 8” but it fell pretty quickly. Driving to work, I saw a Chevy 2500 pickup truck stuck in the ditch. He had slid off a drive way approaching the road.

Asked if he wanted a a pull and he gladly accepted. The road was uphill from the driveway.

I pulled him backwards several times (with a quick jerk of the tow strap) away from the road. The difference in mass was very noticeable.

After we pulled him back, we removed all snow from under his truck and in front of him. He would drive forward and immediately get stuck. We did this twice.

Finally, i said, let me at least try pulling you up the hill to the road. Long story short, in my 1997 TJ stock Sport, pulled that truck up on to the road.

Made my morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's nice to be in the position to help others.

Not with my Jeep, but my body, I pushed a Toyota Tacoma out of my yard this afternoon. After I showed him how to lock his front hubs so his 4 wheel drive would work, I didn't have to push too hard :)

Reactions: Mikester86
Nicely done! Nowadays I'm honestly a bit leery of liability. Wouldn't have felt this way 20 years ago. Sounds like a nice person helping a neighbor out, how it should be. Bravo!

I really enjoy helping. There were a few people that just needed a quick push this morning as well. Makes me miss college where it snowed 300” per year. Every winter morning was like this.

Not in my TJ but I pulled a Ford F150 and the Tow truck it was on top of out of sand in the desert with my Landcruiser 71

7e244c59328469fbf631857a99053efa.jpg

[emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
I've used my winch more in the last 2 weeks than in the last 2 years. Lol

I pulled a kids Mazda " dude car "back up on its wheels, he lost control in snow and had it on its side.

I helped my brother with his logging operation using the Jeep exclusively.
Pulled the Oaks over with winch then drug logs to landing site with recovery hook on bumper, fun.

How do you use a winch in the snow? Where do you get the traction?

How do you use a winch in the snow? Where do you get the traction?

In my case I was able to pull my driver's side tires in a roadside ditch and pull car with slight angle.....good question though.

Offroad winching sometimes requires the use of a tow strap anchored to tree for additional stability.