Brake light issue

Jcw78

I just bought a 2001 Sahara and am having issues with the rear brake lights. The third brake light works fine. The blinkers both hyper flash but do no light from the rear with brakes, lights or blinkers. The front works fine. The hazards flash in front but not the back. All fuses check out. I have checked the ones behind the glove box and the MFS fuse under the hood.

My question is could the problems be related to the MFS itself? I know nothing about wiring so hoping it can just be a switch that I can replace. Any help is appreciated.

My first guess is that the LED brake lights that are in there are incorrect. Also, you are getting the hyperflash because the flash control needs to be changed for an LED compatible module. The brake lights that are in there must be the type that have a constant light on as well as a bright light capability for the brake and signal functions. I suspect that you only have red LEDs with only the constant light and not the brake/signal function. I would start there. You can modify your flash module to not have a hyper flash, and there is a youtube vid, or you can buy an LED compatible module.

Last edited:
I didn't notice LEDs being mentioned, if that's what you have glowell222 may have it right.

If not, and it's only in the back, you have three possibilities, bad ground, bad bulbs, bad wiring.

Did those lights work when you bought it? Did you change anything (electrical or not) just before they stopped working?