Brake pedal click when releasing

Sed_7

Hello Everyone,

New TJ owner here; it's my first car ever. Happy to be a part of this community!

I've recently noticed that when releasing my brake pedal, there is a single click sound. It sounds like it's coming from inside the vehicle. Does anyone else experience this or know that cause/solution to fix it?

I've searched the forum for "brake click" and I haven't seen this come up before. I've checked out a JK forum, but I wanted to see if anyone with a TJ has experienced this. Thanks in advance!

To confirm, you're hearing a sound when you take your foot OFF the brake pedal (after pressing it in?)?

It's probably the pin switch breaking contact. I heard something similar in my '03 yesterday.
I think the fix is here:

Capture2.JPG

try pushing the break pedal with your hand and look & listen. most likely nothing serious.

Check the pin that holds the brake pedal to the dash as well as the brake pedal to the booster rod...

I always thought it was a relay making that sound, similar to turn signal clicking

@Sed_7 did you ever figure this out? Mine started doing the same thing this morning. All lights work as they should, a relay on the steering column is latching when the brake pedal is not pressed. It was pretty cold this morning, and the latching frequency slowed down as the jeep interior warmed up(?). It did speed up again once I came to a stop off the freeway, so I'm not sure it's temperature related.

....The jeep is also very muddy in the engine bay, so it could be related to that.

@Turl Honestly, no, never figured out the cause. Mine still clicks (I'm pretty sure, maybe I'm just used to it by now) but hasn't caused me any problems so far! It still clicks in the heat of summer, and my engine bay is quite clean, if that helps narrow things down.

I'd unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall. Should be able to slide it forward a 1/2" or more. Then you can see if it's the linkage or brake switch in the cab or master cylinder.

As cheap as brake switches are I'd be tempted to throw one at the problem first.

-Mac

Thanks both for your replies. For whatever reason mine clicked for two days of driving and hasn’t since then. I’ll keep watching for it to come back. Maybe there was mud closing the contacts and it worked its way loose.