Brakes are constantly applied

Hey Guys,

today i drove the tj for the first time in 10 years. Strangly the brakes a constantly applied. I can realeas my foot on the hill and the tj stops. Whats the cause for that? The brakes were somoking when i stoped. Whats the cause for that

best regards lennart

Hey Guys,

today i drove the tj for the first time in 10 years. Strangly the brakes a constantly applied. I can realeas my foot on the hill and the tj stops. Whats the cause for that? The brakes were somoking when i stoped. Whats the cause for that

best regards lennart
After sitting for 10 years, that’s not strange at all. As JeepCJTJ said, it’s likely corrosion with the calipers / caliper mounts. After 10 years, there are likely a lot of other things that need attention. Have you changed the oil?

Hey Guys,

best regards lennart
After sitting for that long it could be a bunch of things. As mentioned above, any corroded or heavily rusted parts could seize up the caliper pistons, calipers from moving, rotors are likely trash, lots of stuff in the brake system doesn't respond well to not being used.

Reactions: LennartfromAustria
After sitting for 10 years, that’s not strange at all. As JeepCJTJ said, it’s likely corrosion with the calipers / caliper mounts. After 10 years, there are likely a lot of other things that need attention. Have you changed the oil?
It occurs to me that there is likely a fair bit of rust inside the caliper piston bores after that length of time.

Check the parking brake as well. I've had cables get stuck before, though usually from ice, not corrosion. (Corrosion is more likely here.) If the parking brake isn't fully releasing it could also cause a similar issue. (Often you will get a slight shudder if the parking brake is partially applied.)

Reactions: LennartfromAustria
Yes i changed it, i am a bit worried because my vather had 10W40 Oil in the garage. So i used it, is it ok or should i see if i can get a 10W30 Oil. He ran from the beginng vull sythetic oil but he doesnt remember if it was 10W30 or 10W40.

For the break problem, i orderd a set of raybestos brake calippers 100 Dollars here in Austria haha... new Rotors and Pads. The Pads and Rotors were fine but the right side cought fire from the stuck caliper...

Beyond all the brake issues folks above commented on, you’re also running on bad rubber if you didn’t swap the tires. You’ll likely have a good bit of dry rot and flat spots that will make driving not very fun.

surprisingly not an issue, speaks of good Quality. Yes the rubber is hard and the grips isnt that good but not issue with flat spots or cracks in the rubber.You have too know my dad bought in 2011 new tiers, new discs and pads. Than he parked the jeep for 10 years

It telling you "Screw you, you leave me sit for ten years and you think I should just act like nothing happened"
It was clearly angry with me :ROFLMAO: But now the jeep has a new fuel pump, new brakes callipers pads, all new fluids. I just have a issue with the engine oil is 10W40 fine because the Jeep has just 36.000 Miles

Check the parking brake as well. I've had cables get stuck before, though usually from ice, not corrosion. (Corrosion is more likely here.) If the parking brake isn't fully releasing it could also cause a similar issue. (Often you will get a slight shudder if the parking brake is partially applied.)
Where can i lube them, is there a specific spray or grease for that

How would some one doo this without running the mater cylinder dry. Is it possible too empty the zylinder complety and then fill it up again and then bleed the brake system
Push the brake pedal down about 2" or so and prop it there with a stick to the front of the seat. That will stop the master reservoir from draining out the fluid.

After sitting that long.you should seriously consider doing a complete overhaul with new brake lines and all.

Also, replace the tires. If they've been on there for the 10 years it's been sitting, they are shot. They might look alright but they are most likely rotted. It won't take much for them to disintegrate if you are going to keep driving it.

Always put safety first.

Reactions: ParadoxD
Yes i changed it, i am a bit worried because my vather had 10W40 Oil in the garage. So i used it, is it ok or should i see if i can get a 10W30 Oil. He ran from the beginng vull sythetic oil but he doesnt remember if it was 10W30 or 10W40.
It'll be fine. You can run synthetic but it might cause some leaks, particularly the rear main seal, which is why most guys run conventional oil.

surprisingly not an issue, speaks of good Quality. Yes the rubber is hard and the grips isnt that good but not issue with flat spots or cracks in the rubber.You have too know my dad bought in 2011 new tiers, new discs and pads. Than he parked the jeep for 10 years
They're not safe. Tires have an expiration date. Most people advise swapping tires after no longer than 5-7 years, and at 10 years you should absolutely change them. Even if he bought them brand new they are probably manufactured well before he purchased them (which you can tell from a code stamped in the sidewall).

Reactions: GeorgeB
Deterioration from a vehicle sitting idle for long periods is often far worse than degradation caused from daily driving and normal wear and tear. Everything may look "fine" but most often than not the demons will be lurking. You start driving a vehicle that's been idle for a substantial period of time without first performing the proper maintenance/replacements/inspections and you're just setting yourself up for disaster.

Brakes and tires and huge safety issues. If you're not worried about yourself then you should worry about anyone else inside the vehicle or anyone near you while driving it.

Reactions: ParadoxD