Brakes

99 Jeep Wrangler .Help neighbor put new rotors and brakes on.Drivers side caliper will not release .locked wheel it was ok before Thanks
He might now have a mismatch between the sizes of the new rotors and his existing unit bearing hubs. Jeep changed the size of them in mid-1999 so depending if his TJ is an early or late 1999 model he might have gotten the wrong rotors.

The unit bearing hub changed dimensions as shown here... measuring it to see if he has an early or late unit bearing hub will tell him if he needs rotors for '97 to early '99 or 99.5 or newer rotors. If they're mismatched the brake will bind.

Reactions: astjp2 and tworley
He might now have a mismatch between the sizes of the new rotors and his existing unit bearing hubs. Jeep changed the size of them in mid-1999 so depending if his TJ is an early or late 1999 model he might have gotten the wrong rotors.

The unit bearing hub changed dimensions as shown here... measuring it to see if he has an early or late unit bearing hub will tell him if he needs rotors for '97 to early '99 or 99.5 or newer rotors. If they're mismatched the brake will bind.

View attachment 83264
Thanks

Also, according to MrBlaine, the TJ brake system is very susceptible to debris in the brake system. The brake fluid should be changed every two years (I believe that is what he recommends), when I put BMB on the front of my LJ I had a caliper hang up and he said it was due to debris in the fluid, I disassembled the caliper and sure enough, there was debris in there, I cleaned it all out according to his directions and it worked like a champ.......