Brand new IR 2135 compressor isn't cutting it

gatertamer

Mud dauber
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
any ideas on how big my compressor needs to be to use my air guns full capacity....how many gallons...psi...scfm@90. my HBT 8 gal. 5 scfm isn't cutting it and I don't want to buy another that doesn't either.

Are you using 3/8" or 1/4" air line? If it's 1/4", switch to 3/8". But, an 8 gal tank will run out of air very fast. A 5 scfm compressor would be OK for short blasts, but not continuous use, especially with a small tank.

I use a 30 gallon Husky (still only a 5.1 scfm at 90 psi), that also feeds a 20 gal slave tank. It works great for my impact, but a die grinder will drain it pretty fast.

This is the compressor I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...table-Electric-Air-Compressor-C303H/206532808 I'd recommend one with a higher scfm though. Getting a higher output one generally requires a 220 outlet.

I use 1/4inch....so you think it may be width of hose and not scfm or HP or PSI...does more HP or PSI equal better performance?

The 1/4" hose is restricting the gun. Think of it as trying to drink through a thin juice box straw compared to a big milkshake straw. You get much better flow with the bigger straw.

Also, if you want to run the tool at 90 psi, you should set the regulator while the tool is running.

More HP equals higher scfm, which will give better performance and quicker tank recovery. Generally ignore the HP ratings on big box store compressors though. A normal 15 amp house outlet "might" run a true 2 HP motor, if it's close to the breaker panel.

Like Derek said, 8 gal runs out too quick. My compressor has a 27 gal tank and runs about 6 cfm @ 90 psi and it runs out too quick at times.

Definitely check pressure while running tools. Hit the trigger and check the gauge. Mine is set at around 110 psi and drops to 90 while in use.

it will be hard to run a good 1/2" impact gun on anything 110v. 220v is your friend. I have a 5 hp I think it is 50 gal upright in my shed probably 10 yrs old from harbor freight

Switching your air line to 3/8" is likely what you need to do, 1/4" just can't flow as much volume as 3/8" can.

You don't need a 220v compressor to run even high CFM consuming air tools. I installed 220v in my garage for my welder but my 110v compressor runs my air tools using 3/8" air lines without problem and sometime nearly continuously like if I'm running a grinder or polisher without problem. Heck even my York a/c compressor I converted for use as an OBA compressor in my previous TJ ran my 1/2" IR double-anvil impact wrench on the trail or at the auto parts recycling yard without any problem whatsoever.

20181206_094020_resized.jpg

20181206_094036_resized.jpg

20181206_094139_resized.jpg

again thanks...I think I learned to go with a bigger line...bigger tank...and scfm isn't that important....should I run my tool and at the same time set it to 90psi immediately or wait a sec?...the longer you hold the trigger the more the psi drops

again thanks...I think I learned to go with a bigger line...bigger tank...and scfm isn't that important....should I run my tool and at the same time set it to 90psi immediately or wait a sec?...the longer you hold the trigger the more the psi drops
SCFM is very important but your 5 SCFM should be plenty. Especially for a lower CFM consuming tool like an impact wrench. High CFM consuming tools are things like paint sprayers, polishers, grinders, etc.

Reactions: gatertamer

I hit the trigger, watch the gauge, then adjust as needed. CFM is important but some tools use more than others. Air ratchet, die grinder, air chisel, use large volumes of air.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
question may be moot....I didn't reread jerry's post first about him using 3/8 hose.

by the way excuse my late night postings but I work a swing shift job...im just up late

I guess i'm still missing something...I have 3/8 hose with 1/4 inch fittings, do I need 3/8 fittings on the hose?, and the 3/8 fittings don't fit my tools, do they make 3/8 that fit into the standard air tool openings?, or is there some sort of reducer (counterproductive)

20181208_142609_HDR.jpg

thank you I just ordered some....are 3/8 hose and 1/4 fittings the norm?...people keep saying go to 3/8 hose are they using 3/8 or 1/4 fittings?