Brand new to me LJ: No reverse at all

cgmacd3

So I am the new lucky owner of an auction Jeep from the east coast...….Have had lots of fun Jeeps and always wanted an LJ so when I found this 05 TJ "Unlimited" in "great shape!" I was pumped! I can never resist a "Deal" so you know how that goes....

Fast forward to the Jeep being delivered and yeah....its pretty darn rusty and drum roll please.....will NOT go into reverse....Just grinds no matter what trick you try....I have tried them all, clutch twice, go to 1st then reverse, I have been a keyboard jockey for the last 24 hours....SO

I pulled the dust boot and shifter and can shift the jeep into reverse with my hand simply pushing the shifter fork forward? There is a little more play in the reverse shifter fork direction so my shifter is an 1/16 or an 1/8 shy of getting her into gear? I have inspected both boots etc and no luck......The shifter itself does look a little beat up and Twisted??? See pictures

When I drive around normally the jeep feels great, clutch feels ok for 120k miles and all the gears are tight and precise....nothing comes out of gear?? Does anyone know if there is an adjustment of the shift assembly or is mine bent and mangled so much that reverse doesn't engage fully enough anymore...

I know the 05 is notorious for reverse problems but I am still clinging to the hope of some mod or fix...I have even thought of trying to put a bead on the shifter itself to get that 1/8??? Anyone ever tried that? It also seems hard to get into a vice without wrecking the whole unit to try and manipulate that hard steel?

At this point with the cost of new trannys rebuilt or whatever you try its worth a shot.....

Speaking of that does anyone have a recommendation on where to get a new rebuilt or whatever unit? Going to throw a new clutch etc in...….Never done a trans rebuild personally and am not sure I want to start on this Dailymer one after reading a bit but still might try,,,

Thanks a lot Chris
Photo Jan 29, 5 35 39 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 5 35 39 PM (1).jpg

Photo Jan 29, 5 35 13 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 5 35 24 PM.jpg

This last pic is the slop in the reverse......its the shifter fork on the left....?? Hmmmmmm

Reactions: Chris
Post pictures of the frame before you invest anymore money in the Jeep.

I have watched that video and called them...pretty cool guys....I really dont think there is a body lift but I guess there could be it has 18’s and maybe one size bigger tires??? I’ll try and post a pic...

Now you got me thinking.....but its at my office all torn apart.....I looked down the inspection plate at the top and shredded the two boots and it sure looked like it was moving right....?

Thanks again guys much appreciated. As far as the rust The frame is fine....surface that’s it....windshield frame is pretty bleak but a new one from Quadretec is cheap and easy...