Brick and mortars...

If the guy in India can get me the right part the first time and take care of mistakes, I am fine with that
No. I got the point. Your choice to support on line, foreign investment, or loss of USA jobs is the problem. USA support of on line was first driven by price. That loss of business has driven the need of local businesses to hire uneducated sales people. You, we, cannot support "Make USA Great Again" if you want to compete with a guy who can live on $5.00 a day. America will only be great again if you shop local and support your neighbour and understand businesses need stability. When we force them to cut costs, eventually we will lose the service we used to enjoy. It is a multi year process. And the recovery will take years too.

The comment, "I don't feel you got the point of this thread." means you don't get the point.

Reactions: ac_
No. I got the point. Your choice to support on line, foreign investment, or loss of USA jobs is the problem. USA support of on line was first driven by price. That loss of business has driven the need of local businesses to hire uneducated sales people. You, we, cannot support "Make USA Great Again" if you want to compete with a guy who can live on $5.00 a day. America will only be great again if you shop local and support your neighbour and understand businesses need stability. When we force them to cut costs, eventually we will lose the service we used to enjoy. It is a multi year process. And the recovery will take years too.

The comment, "I don't feel you got the point of this thread." means you don't get the point.

Don't take offense to my statement. I didn't mean to imply anything other than I didn't believe you understood my statement. Thanks for the clarification.

But what am I supposed to do? Do I go to the parts store then ask for the part. They say they can't help me, so I go to 2 more and they can't help me either. Then I come home figure it out in 10 seconds, Then get back into my car and drive back hoping they can still find my part with the part number, and then keep going down the 3 again? And then when they can't then order it online?

And besides that, I did order it online from the USA. I just used "india" as an example because someone else used it. I think the part in reality is Japanese, but it would have been from Japan whether I bought it at NAPA, or AMAZON, Or INDIA. The transmission is Japanese. And to the best of my knowledge buying a US made transmission wasn't an option in the TJ.

I went asking for a GE 95 bulb, the girl at napa said they only have 195 bulbs...so I looked it up on their website, it was item #2, lmp 95...then I asked for a 1196...that one she found because I was able to give the napa number...and it came in a GE box...

Corporate and consumer laziness, bolstered by current technology and a generation that continues to suck on that teet. We as consumers need to take up the slack and make up for the lack of service if we want to support our locals. Do the homework, get the part numbers, then find a local who can order it. If it costs a little more then so be it. You are trying to support them. How else can brick and mortar compete? If Sears can't figure it out, then who will? It's a dark road we are heading for.

And of course, corporate greed, they won't pay those retail parts guy anything hardly. If you know anything about cars you would make way more working on them under the shade tree.

I went to Home Depot to rent an impact wrench, guy behind the counter: "Whats an impact wrench?":rolleyes:

Chain stores, like already mentioned, are just store workers. I find the old school "mom n' pop" stores (though few and far between) still know what they are talking about and what they are selling. Price may be higher, but at least I can talk to an intellectual

I went to Home Depot to rent an impact wrench, guy behind the counter: "Whats an impact wrench?":rolleyes:

Chain stores, like already mentioned, are just store workers. I find the old school "mom n' pop" stores (though few and far between) still know what they are talking about and what they are selling. Price may be higher, but at least I can talk to an intellectual

I would totally support a ma and pop shop that sold autoparts if they knew what they were doing. In fact I order most of my parts from Allen's OFF Road, but he only has a limited supply of what he sells. But I ordered my Elocker and gears from him.

Unfortunately if I can find a ma and pa parts place it will most likely be online.

Corporate and consumer laziness, bolstered by current technology and a generation that continues to suck on that teet. We as consumers need to take up the slack and make up for the lack of service if we want to support our locals. Do the homework, get the part numbers, then find a local who can order it. If it costs a little more then so be it. You are trying to support them. How else can brick and mortar compete? If Sears can't figure it out, then who will? It's a dark road we are heading for.

There used to be a store/machine shop here in Everett that was run by two brothers. I shopped through them exclusively, and had them do all the machine work on one of my engines. It was great...right up until they had to close down because the elder brother was caught embezzling money from the family business.

*Sorry...no point to the story. Just thought it was interesting, in a sad way.

Reactions: tworley and ac_