Broken Body Mount Bolt

derekmac

TJ Addict
So in my quest to check all the body mount bolts before doing a BL, I have managed to snap one. The three middle ones on each side came out without issue, but the rearmost one on the passenger side snapped. It started to come out, then started to creak, then SNAP.

I haven't really found anything TJ related for getting at these, but have found YJ stuff. Can these ones be accessed inside by cutting an access hole? I did it before going to work today, so haven't had a chance to look for a good way to get at it.

I haven't tried the other three rear ones or the front one yet. I want to have a fix plan in place now before I do, lol.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Been there....Hold on. I have pictures. This is the drivers side, but Passenger should be similar. Might have to work around the Evap system. though. I'd cut the two sides and the top if I had to do it again. Fold it down, and get to the cage nut.

gjPdJK08yITZ27MpuLZ0bcjFxHD75scb2Dp81ppYhH571hPjfL04EKEXtuDgerSB_2Ztl6R5kgSKIWH14-=w1634-h919-no.jpg

Mine was so Stuck, I ended up cutting the cage nut too, and pulling the whole thing out.
3yCUeijPhMhRd8zAlnyOOo6zVEeXulhekOKHBfuE_YSvzmvWcrvUG7tUHziteKg8w00tn0NCnUiI8UPXl3=w1634-h919-no.jpg

j2KlN0wh3MWac8lSSH4d2pbeifkD9M-XfO9ijFa44QuH6-sYzsxF7KINFPhWgVvmFTZAFBo8Y8jIs2MqIMG=w518-h919-no.jpg

Once its free, I slid the nut back in, welded the cage back together, and I owe it a "trapdoor" replacement. I'll have to throw a patch in there to close it back in.

I'm going to assume that my drivers side might need this too, lol. Going at it from the backside didn't even occur to me. Thanks for the pics and tips!!!! :)

Reactions: Mike_H
So I haven't had the chance to fix it yet, and I'll probably just wait until I try the other three rear bolts before I do. I did check, and I should have easy access to cut an access hole on the pass side.

I'd like to start spraying the two mount bolts by the shocks now. Do I need to drill a hole inside the tub to get at them? I don't mind drilling or cutting access holes to get at them. I already have access holes for the upper rear shock bolts, so a couple more won't hurt, lol.

They are not that far from the shocks, so I'd look through your existing access holes and try that first. To me, it's not a big deal to drop the tank, so I did that for better access and you can get to them from the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
They are not that far from the shocks, so I'd look through your existing access jokes and try that first. To me, it's not a big deal to drop the tank, so I did that for better access and you can get to them from the front.
My luck the tank bolts would snap, lol. :)

I'll pop one of the patches off and see if I can get some penetrating fluid on them.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Mine did...so I replaced them. I should have said its not a big deal anymore...to drop the tank
lol. I must say though, I've been lucky so far with bolts. For an 05, and living in road salt hell, I've only had a few bolts so far that snapped. The PO did keep it well undercoated though, and I dare say that helped.

Living in the rust belt my life I have learned one thing, even after hosing stuff down with your favorite brand of rust penetrant, and heating stuff up to get it to break lose, you may get it lose but you can still break the bolt. I always run the bolt back in and out a few times even if I haven't gotten it out all the way yet. It helps break up the rust. Then I'll usually run a tap back through the nut and a die on the bolt if it is still usable.

Living in the rust belt my life I have learned one thing, even after hosing stuff down with your favorite brand of rust penetrant, and heating stuff up to get it to break lose, you may get it lose but you can still break the bolt. I always run the bolt back in and out a few times even if I haven't gotten it out all the way yet. It helps break up the rust. Then I'll usually run a tap back through the nut and a die on the bolt if it is still usable.
My personal favorite is when you spend half an hour on one bolt, taking every precaution to move slowly and try and not to force anything, only to have it snap anyways. Frustrating as hell...

Last edited:
Well I tried the two mounts by the shocks, and they came out easily! The front one wouldn't budge, and neither would the rear driver side one. I didn't want to break them, so I didn't try too hard. I put some penetrating fluid on the bolt for the front mount, and hopefully it'll creep up it.

I also picked up one of these to use with my air hammer. It'll give the same hammering action as an impact gun, but I get to control the rotation.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and Squatch
I've been spraying the front body mount bolt as best I could every couple of days for the last week, and the damn thing still doesn't want to turn. If that one breaks, does the rad need to be moved to get at it?