Broken Driveshaft

KSHE

So last night my driveshaft snapped and came off. Not a great way to roll into the weekend by any means. I am looking online for a replacement. However I do not have a lift, and many of the replacements I am finding are intended for TJ's with a lift kit. Posting here to see if anyone has any ideas or can help me out. Thanks.

61957296890__3C1BAB14-CABD-4F47-82BE-D087BE741652.JPG

It looks like just your U-Joint broke, that is an easy replacement and doesn't require the entire driveshaft.

Oh and you can still drive around in front wheel drive if you need to just in case you didn't know.

It looks like just your U-Joint broke, that is an easy replacement and doesn't require the entire driveshaft.
X2

Make sure to do both u-joints and inspect the slip yoke sealing surface for damage.

True that. Certainly wasn't recommending to do that long term, but I know that I have gotten home a time or two in front wheel drive.

Yes, I was only pointing out to OP be careful depending on front wheel drive for too long. After that, I fully agree with your temporary solution.

You could drive around in 4wd without a rear shaft indefinitely if needed. No harm.
Well the point is if the front u-joints are in the same condition as the rear ones were then maybe not indefinitely.

He would still be driving around indefinitely on the rear driveshift if the u-joints were in good condition.

Assuming the front is in good condition then yes who needs a rear driveshaft.

Reactions: Blondie70
I see. The way it read was that driving like that was a limp / temporary only / use caution scenario.

I see. The way it read was that driving like that was a limp / temporary only / use caution scenario.

I certainly would never do it long term, and wouldn't recommend it either since it is a jeep and should be 4 wheel drive capable, especially if you are just doing it because another part is not working properly. I would always recommend getting the broken part functioning again. You are right though, there wouldn't be any thing wrong with it I reckon.

KSHE, while you are at it, I would take the recommendation of Hokahay and check out the front driveshaft joints as well.

I certainly would never do it long term, and wouldn't recommend it either since it is a jeep and should be 4 wheel drive capable, especially if you are just doing it because another part is not working properly. I would always recommend getting the broken part functioning again. You are right though, there wouldn't be any thing wrong with it I reckon.

KSHE, while you are at it, I would take the recommendation of Hokahay and check out the front driveshaft joints as well.

It's safe, it's fine. If you need to - do it. Of course we want our Jeeps 4wd....? Of course we don't want to drive much if we KNOW there are parts about to fail. I'm simply saying that driving in 4wd without a rear driveshaft doesn't need to be treated like some sketchy thing oooh you better be careful! don't do that much! You can do it, do it safely, and do it for as long as you need. It isn't harming anything. That's all.

Reactions: Zorba
Thanks for all the help everyone. Getting replacement U-Joints and hoping my brother in-law and I can get it back up and running soon.
Hopefully you're replacing it with a Spicer 5-1310x u-joint and not a store brand or a greasable like the Spicer 5-153x. Greasables with a single zerk screwed into the trunnion (body) are not as strong as sealed u-joints like the 5-1310x.