Broken lug stud help

You can see the spacing on the threads get wider where the stud is stretched.
You caught me mid-edit… so I guess the stretch would standout because the threads captured in the lug nut would stay relatively the same making those on either side obvious to the eye?

You caught me mid-edit… so I guess the stretch would standout because the threads captured in the lug nut would stay relatively the same making those on either side obvious to the eye?
Not either side generally. Between the lug nut and the hub flange is where I usually see the stretch. I've seen them bad enough that the spacing on the threads was double what it should be and the stud was still in one piece. I strongly urged the owner not to drive it like that and he insisted he had known of the issue for some time and was not dead yet.

• Face Palm
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Not either side generally. Between the lug nut and the hub flange is where I usually see the stretch. I've seen them bad enough that the spacing on the threads was double what it should be and the stud was still in one piece. I strongly urged the owner not to drive it like that and he insisted he had known of the issue for some time and was not dead yet.
Good point on the “either side” correction, I have not finished my coffee yet.

As you have written many times, it is never a problem right up until the moment that it is a problem.

Reactions: SvtLdr
My 2 cents for what it's worth:

1. Thank whatever deity you believe or don't believe in that you didn't make a sell of that vehicle yesterday. Imagine what might've happened - then imagine what would happen next...
2. You're still planning to sell it right? See #1 above.
3. Do you trust that all of the other studs (on -all- of the hubs) are ok? Even after "checking" - whatever that entails?
4. See #1 again...

Honestly - if it were me - I would replace every single stud on every hub - then have the wheels remounted and torqued correctly. Then drive around a hundred miles - then re-torque.

/see #1 again

Reactions: DropTopDon
When I bought my TJ a few years ago it had only 4 lugs - didn't notice until after I drove 100 miles!
you were probably fine, but in the case of the OP we know that 4 lug nuts came off and 1 broke. it's like $20 for a set of 5 studs. I know I'm not risking my life or others for $20. especially when i've already got the parts removed to replace 1 and all thats needed is 4 more hits with a BFH ......

Reactions: DropTopDon
you were probably fine, but in the case of the OP we know that 4 lug nuts came off and 1 broke. it's like $20 for a set of 5 studs. I know I'm not risking my life or others for $20. especially when i've already got the parts removed to replace 1 and all thats needed is 4 more hits with a BFH ......
Just called the local autostore. $2.59 a pop for dorman front studs. I am just going to replace all of them probably since I don't want anything to go wrong for the next owner.

image.jpg

Anyone have any advice on getting the unit bearing out? Took the big nut in the middle out and the 3 bolts on the back out but it seems to be stuck in place. Hammering a screwdriver in between the flange and shield seems to be just damaging the shield

You can use the power steering to pop it off. It take some thinking but it's the easy way to free a hub. As you turn the wheel you can wedge something to pop off the hub. To check the studs I'd thread on a lug, if it binds the studs are probably bad.

Did you have any success with getting the studs in? I have to say that video made it look easy to remove and re-insert a new one, but then again, things looked a bit different than what your picture shows (or at least seems to)? Have you tried a puller on it (assuming it can be removed in that manner)? I wonder what the heck is holding it all together?

One thing I do know, if it doesn't feel like it's going to budge - don't keep going. More than likely, something will break - and whatever it is, it will be expensive to fix (or your injury will be). Instead, stop - and re-assess things like you're already doing. Something is keeping it together (hopefully it ain't something where you have to tear half the front-end off just to remove the stud).

(hopefully it ain't something where you have to tear half the front-end off just to remove the stud).
Removing the hub isn't a big deal. Just leave the axle attached and pull it all out together. I can't really tell from your comment, are you doing this or just researching it in general? The studs have splines and are press fit in the hub.