Broken rear axle: Should I stay with Dana 35 or upgrade to Dana 44?

All I can tell you is what I know about the ‘05 X with 80K miles I just bought my son. PO had a 6” lift, Dana 35/3.07 rear, running 35’s. For how long I have no idea. Obviously a different situation than your’s considering gearing and all, but I got on it pretty good the day after I bought it and the axle broke.
I think the biggest problem is that the axle have many stress with the big wheels. Extremly while you drive trough curves with feet on the accelerator. The stock axle won't have the power who comes on it with this wheels. Looking for full floater or a D 44. Remember, that the front axle MUST have the same ratio ( for 35s is 4:10 or 4:56 good) or it will kill your 4WD box. Now you must decide what is by the payment and work the best for you and your son? For my own I would looking for a pair of Rubicon axles. This are Dana 44 with locker and a 4:10 ratio.

I think the biggest problem is that the axle have many stress with the big wheels. Extremly while you drive trough curves with feet on the accelerator. The stock axle won't have the power who comes on it with this wheels. Looking for full floater or a D 44. Remember, that the front axle MUST have the same ratio ( for 35s is 4:10 or 4:56 good) or it will kill your 4WD box. Now you must decide what is by the payment and work the best for you and your son? For my own I would looking for a pair of Rubicon axles. This are Dana 44 with locker and a 4:10 ratio.
Ahhh o.k. you could say "Why don't you put these axles not to YOUR Jeep?"
Easy: Here in Germany very very hard to find and too expensive. In $ I must pay for a used pair Dana 44 round about 5k bucks and DON'T know if everything is well inside.

:eeek: At my TJ I also have the 35 dana. with full floater , K&S (Schwarz from Germany) vacuum locker and 4:10 gear. Transmission 5 speed.
I drove 35 Inch for about 1 year. Now actual 33 Inch BFG K2. Now I think about going back to 35 Inch. Question: Is my 35 Dana with this modificatins strong enough to drive 35 Inch longer? :nusenuse:
That depends on how strong the axle shafts are that were installed with the full floater. Are the Dana 35's axle shafts 27 or 30 spline and are they made from carbon steel or from a known type of alloy?

T
That depends on how strong the axle shafts are that were installed with the full floater. Are the Dana 35's axle shafts 27 or 30 spline and are they made from carbon steel or from a known type of alloy?
Thanks Jerry for your answer. I must ask my friend. It was his Jeep before I bought the TJ from him. But I think he worked with the best material he could get in Germany.

T

Thanks Jerry for your answer. I must ask my friend. It was his Jeep before I bought the TJ from him. But I think he worked with the best material he could get in Germany.
Here is the answer: 27 spline and Moser shaft and not 4:10, it's a ARB 4:56. Hope it helps.

Here is the answer: 27 spline and Moser shaft and not 4:10, it's a ARB 4:56. Hope it helps.
It's still impossible to know since we don't know which Moser shafts were installed. Being that it's still a 27 spline (small) diameter shaft and not the larger diameter 30 spline shaft is not encouraging. My first inclination is that it's not up to long-term survival with 35" tires and that ARB locker if it's used hard offroad. What is generally considered worthy of 35" tires and a locker in a Dana 35 is a 30 spline alloy shaft made from an alloy like 4340.

Reactions: JEEPdriver
It's still impossible to know since we don't know which Moser shafts were installed. Being that it's still a 27 spline (small) diameter shaft and not the larger diameter 30 spline shaft is not encouraging. My first inclination is that it's not up to long-term survival with 35" tires and that ARB locker if it's used hard offroad. What is generally considered worthy of 35" tires and a locker in a Dana 35 is a 30 spline alloy shaft made from an alloy like 4340.
Thanks a lot for this information. I think he must look back to his papers who comes with the parts. Hope he still have it. This moment I drive the 33s...better drive this? Cause 35s looks very pretty. I call it a dilemma situation.

Hey guys, noob here. My wife gave me permission (crazy right.) to start looking for a Jeep. I’m going to take a look at this tomorrow https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-2000-jeep-wrangler-tj-sport-low/6798447255.html I asked him what axles he has and he said Dana 35’s front and rear with 4:10 gears and 33” BFG MT. I’m not planning on anything other than light trail use for now. Should I pass and does that price seem reasonable? If this is the wrong spot for this question, my apologies. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, noob here. My wife gave me permission (crazy right.) to start looking for a Jeep. I’m going to take a look at this tomorrow https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-2000-jeep-wrangler-tj-sport-low/6798447255.html I asked him what axles he has and he said Dana 35’s front and rear with 4:10 gears and 33” BFG MT. I’m not planning on anything other than light trail use for now. Should I pass and does that price seem reasonable? If this is the wrong spot for this question, my apologies. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

That ad has been deleted, but it won’t be a Dana 35 front. Likely a 35 rear and 30 front. 33” tires on those are the max you’d want to run with those. They “should” survive light trail use though.

Well...my son’s axle/tranny issues appear to be in the books, for now. Thanks for all the help on here guys. I really mean that, I could never have done to this Jeep what I did without the advice I received here. I got a great deal on a nice set of axles (Dana 44 & Dana 30, gr/3.73) from another forum member and had them bolted up this week. Would have been sooner but had to get a guy to cut 2.5” off the rear drive shaft after going from the Dana 35 to the Dana 44. DEFINITELY a HUGE difference in 1st gear as it doesn’t lurch like before. Also, 5th & 6th gears are no longer just numbers on the shifter...they’re actually viable, LOL! Turns out whatever we were feeling while shifting was all in the rear end, because the tranny shifts like butter now.
BIG thanks again to everyone who answered all my ignorant questions!