Broken rear axle: Should I stay with Dana 35 or upgrade to Dana 44?

A few months ago I bought a TJ with your same setup (Dana 35, 35" tires, 3.07). First time off road resulted in me breaking stuff. I went with a Dana 44 Swap and re-geared the front, so now have 4.88. It's like a different rig, Jerry is spot on.
Thanks! I’m trying to work out a deal on a Dana 44 rear so if that happens I’m good. Also, the tires that came with it are already shot so I’ll go ahead and just drop down to 33’s anyway.

Yes, I missed that part. IMHO, you will need to regear both axles to keep the 35's...but if you're trying to keep your costs down, sell the 35's (if they are worth anything) get 33's and just regear the front. It won't be ideal (3.73 is a bit high even for 33's) but it will at least go down the road without needing a mile to get up to speed.
So are you saying it’s OK to regear the front to a 3.73 while keeping a 35 rear with 3.07 ratio? I was thinking both front and rear have to be the same ratio?

So are you saying it’s OK to regear the front to a 3.73 while keeping a 35 rear with 3.07 ratio? I was thinking both front and rear have to be the same ratio?

Correct, both the front and rear need to be the same ratio, if you want to use 4wd. What Mike H was saying was, the least expensive/best thing for you to do was to get the Dana 44 with 3.73 ratio, and regear the front to 3.73 to match. Also, 33" tires would be a better size for the 3.73 ratio than 35" would be.

Reactions: Jeepin’
Correct, both the front and rear need to be the same ratio, if you want to use 4wd. What Mike H was saying was, the least expensive/best thing for you to do was to get the Dana 44 with 3.73 ratio, and regear the front to 3.73 to match.
Gotcha. Thanks again!

Gotcha. Thanks again!
But regearing the front to 3.73 to match the Dana 44's 3.73 ratio would be the wrong thing to do due to the 35" tire size. It might cost less but the correct thing would be to regear both axles to 4.88 so the engine isn't lugging when trying to turn those big 35" tires.

Plus it'd get a bit better mpg when the axles have the correct ratio in them since the engine would be running more efficiently.

But regearing the front to 3.73 to match the Dana 44's 3.73 ratio would be the wrong thing to do due to the 35" tire size. It might cost less but the correct thing would be to regear both axles to 4.88 so the engine isn't lugging when trying to turn those big 35" tires.

Plus it'd get a bit better mpg when the axles have the correct ratio in them since the engine would be running more efficiently.
The tires it came with are shot so I’m in the process of pricing new ones now anyway. I’ve already decided to drop to 33’s. That’s a better decision whatever I decide to do with the axles right?

The tires it came with are shot so I’m in the process of pricing new ones now anyway. I’ve already decided to drop to 33’s. That’s a better decision whatever I decide to do with the axles right?
33's would be fine too, 4.56 would be a good ratio for that size tire.

If the front 30 is good from that sport, try and pick it up cheap along with the 44. 3.73 isn't what you want for 33's so I would not pay to have the front re-geared to match the rear. That way you can get by until you can re-gear to the proper ratio.

If the front 30 is good from that sport, try and pick it up cheap along with the 44. 3.73 isn't what you want for 33's so I would not pay to have the front re-geared to match the rear. That way you can get by until you can re-gear to the proper ratio.
A 3.73 ratio would be better than 3.07 though right?

What? No. Both axle ALWAYS need to be the same ratio unless you want to run without a front driveshaft. I said if you buy the Dana 44 used with 3.73 ratio, you can save money by not regearing both axles to something higher than 3.73. Regear the front to 3.73, leave the rear alone, sell the 35's (the tires) and buy 33's (again, tires).

Yes BUT it won’t get you where you (eventually) want to be which is proper gearing (a gear ratio that matches your chosen tire size). You’ve got two things going on here, one, you have to make a change due to breakage and two, you want to save a buck which makes perfect sense particularly given that you didn’t see this coming therefore it’s an unanticipated expense. Everyone on this forum can sympathize. The problem is you can’t do both with this (3.73) axle, at least with a proper outcome anyway. In order to swap this axle in and have appropriate gearing you’re going to have to regear both to somewhere in the 4+ range (many will say 4.56 is ideal for 33s & manual transmission). Yes, you can do a half measure which would be to only regear the front to match the 3.73. Yes you can still drive the TJ & yes it’ll even be fun, but it will wear on you and eventually you’ll regear both front & rear so in the long run the ‘cheap’ fix is more expensive because you will have regeared 3 axles at that point. You could also, as suggested above, buy both from the same jeep already geared at 3.73 but this is another version of the same half-measure, you’re just trading regearing the front to match the rear for buying another axle you don’t need and the extra expense (or your time & labor) to put it on. In the end you’re at the same place, an improperly geared TJ. Best way to proceed is to hopefully get a good deal on the 44, take it & the TJ to a professional and have them regear both to 4.56 & be done with it. A real punch to the wallet indeed, but it’ll be done & it’ll be done right & there’s really no substitute for that.

What? No. Both axle ALWAYS need to be the same ratio unless you want to run without a front driveshaft. I said if you buy the Dana 44 used with 3.73 ratio, you can save money by not regearing both axles to something higher than 3.73. Regear the front to 3.73, leave the rear alone, sell the 35's (the tires) and buy 33's (again, tires).
Gotcha. I now know how stupid I’ve sounded with some of my questions and comments

Yes BUT it won’t get you where you (eventually) want to be which is proper gearing (a gear ratio that matches your chosen tire size). You’ve got two things going on here, one, you have to make a change due to breakage and two, you want to save a buck which makes perfect sense particularly given that you didn’t see this coming therefore it’s an unanticipated expense. Everyone on this forum can sympathize. The problem is you can’t do both with this (3.73) axle, at least with a proper outcome anyway. In order to swap this axle in and have appropriate gearing you’re going to have to regear both to somewhere in the 4+ range (many will say 4.56 is ideal for 33s & manual transmission). Yes, you can do a half measure which would be to only regear the front to match the 3.73. Yes you can still drive the TJ & yes it’ll even be fun, but it will wear on you and eventually you’ll regear both front & rear so in the long run the ‘cheap’ fix is more expensive because you will have regeared 3 axles at that point. You could also, as suggested above, buy both from the same jeep already geared at 3.73 but this is another version of the same half-measure, you’re just trading regearing the front to match the rear for buying another axle you don’t need and the extra expense (or your time & labor) to put it on. In the end you’re at the same place, an improperly geared TJ. Best way to proceed is to hopefully get a good deal on the 44, take it & the TJ to a professional and have them regear both to 4.56 & be done with it. A real punch to the wallet indeed, but it’ll be done & it’ll be done right & there’s really no substitute for that.
Just went right there and addressed the elephant in the room being the fact I don’t want to spend the money didn’t you LOL? I’ve decided to do just what you suggested and try to get the 44 and have it + the front regeared. Thanks again for all the advice, I obviously didn’t have half a clue when I set out to make my son’s Jeep dream come true...

Reactions: jazngab
Just went right there and addressed the elephant in the room being the fact I don’t want to spend the money didn’t you? I’ve decided to do just what you suggested and try to get the 44 and have it + the front regeared. Thanks again for all the advice, I obviously didn’t have half a clue when I set out to make my son’s Jeep dream come true...

Yes :p:p:p, and like I said we can all sympathize for sure; you just did a really cool thing for your son & to learn that the spending isn't over is a tough one, but that's par for the course when you own a TJ :icon_domokun:.

If it makes you feel better, I bought mine in 2016 for $9,500 & figured I was done. I spent more than $9,500 in 2017 ripping this & that out & replacing it. Granted much of that was elective as opposed to necessity based, but one way or another these things'll getcha

But in a good way

Absolutely. Just don't pay 600-1000 for a front re-gear, to a ratio you'll eventually change a second time. That is why I suggested buying the Dana 30 from that sport, if you end up going that direction, for say 200-300 or hopefully less.

Yes :p:p:p, and like I said we can all sympathize for sure; you just did a really cool thing for your son & to learn that the spending isn't over is a tough one, but that's par for the course when you own a TJ :icon_domokun:.

If it makes you feel better, I bought mine in 2016 for $9,500 & figured I was done. I spent more than $9,500 in 2017 ripping this & that out & replacing it. Granted much of that was elective as opposed to necessity based, but one way or another these things'll getcha

But in a good way
Nope. That doesn’t make me feel any better :p! It’s a great learning experience for he and I and that’s just the way we’re gonna look at it at this point. This particular TJ looks and feels literally flawless otherwise, besides the possible tranny rebuild, which considering the way the rear diff gear teeth look this could be what I was feeling and the tranny may be OK? Has 80k miles, the 6” lift was done correctly and the motor hums like a sewing machine. A/C works, paint is perfect, brand new soft top, and it even has a kick ass sound system. I paid 10K for it so maybe you could tell me if that was way too much or what?

Absolutely. Just don't pay 600-1000 for a front re-gear, to a ratio you'll eventually change a second time. That is why I suggested buying the Dana 30 from that sport, if you end up going that direction, for say 200-300 or hopefully less.
OK...so the deal is done and now I just have to go pick up the Dana 44 rear/3.73 AND Dana 30 front/3.73. My question now is, my son’s Jeep’s PO did tell me he had to replace the drive shaft within the past 2 years. He said he had it replaced with a “heavy duty shaft” with eliminator as the previous shaft didn’t have one. Looking at the angles the previous shaft must have been in (fairly steep), should I assume there could be damage to my son’s Jeep’s transfer case as well? The reason I ask is because the seller I’m getting the Dana 44 from has the transfer case available too...