Bronco "trail turn assist"

OMG!!! Who would have thought an unlocked differential could do something like that? That's it, I'm never locking my differentials again.

OR

OMG!!! Who would have ever though to use a steering brake on any vehicle other than a tractor?

Either way those guys in suits, sitting behind their desks, drinking their pumpkin spiced Latte's while electronically scribbling some code in an air conditioned office must be some kind of geniuses.

Actually, to answer your question, independent control of each rear brake is what looks to be happening there. Parking brakes, probably not involved.

OMG!!! Who would have thought an unlocked differential could do something like that? That's it, I'm never locking my differentials again.

OR

OMG!!! Who would have ever though to use a steering brake on any vehicle other than a tractor?

Either way those guys in suits, sitting behind their desks, drinking their pumpkin spiced Latte's while electronically scribbling some code in an air conditioned office must be some kind of geniuses.

Actually, to answer your question, independent control of each rear brake is what looks to be happening there. Parking brakes, probably not involved.
Yeah, it's electronic using the ABS sensors most likely.

The question wasn't whether the system uses the parking brake, it was whether the function could be duplicated using the parking brakes and a modified handle system to actuate wheels independently.

And I think the answer is yes.

This popped up on my feed.

Can something like this be replicated with independent rear parking brakes?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWQ91YgFKNw/?utm_medium=copy_link
Blaine talked about this, I think why he doesn't generally do it. Personally I think the dig is a little more useful but I guess this kinda is a variant of a dig. You can do close to the same think with a locker in the front and the rear unlocked. Just apply the parking brake a bit and the low traction wheel will spin in the rear and the front will go around. Works much better when you can disengage the rear obviously.

Ask @B00mb00m or @NashvilleTJ they have steering brakes.

It can be done.

Jeep - Cutting Brakes - 3-27-2010 205.JPG

Boom runs actual hydro cutting brakes - I run a split rear mechanical parking brake. You can see a description of what I did over on my build thread starting on post #540.

Last edited:
Was it worth the effort before somebody dives into the whole build?
It actually only took a few hours as I recall. I don't use it much, but it's a nice to have feature on occasion. It does work, and can lock up each rear wheel independently - but I am running pretty big brakes.

Your guy will be @B00mb00m.
Ohhh yes! I am the cutting brake evangelist!! It's my favorite mod (with an Atlas). Its still useable without an Atlas but cutting brake really becomes effective when paired with a front dig. I have JL rear brakes which are a huge step up from tj brakes or jk brakes and more braking power would still be better. I was mostly interested in adding the cutting brakes for tight trail turns of which we have MANY on the Wetside of Washington.

Here's where I start the install or the brakes.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...e-the-3-rs-of-a-first-build.30419/post-862451
I wouldn't say this is all that costly of a mod by itself but you need to make new brake lines and probably do a bit of welding. Key for me was to flip the cutting brake lever pivot location so I could make the install in the console fairly clean looking. If you're doing it with an atlas then it becomes a very expensive mod.

Here's the final install pics
PXL_20211127_180432953.jpg
PXL_20211127_180445106.jpg

I also find myself using it as traction control. More than a couple obstacles around here when it gets really slippery a locked rear will just slid ride off the line. So sometimes I will go in open rear diff and apply cutting brake as I get a little slippage and it keeps me from getting kicked off the line.

Blaine has brought up a cool idea which is now a lot of the factory calipers have a solenoid operated rear parking brake that might be a very cool cutting brake option. I was told the feel of the cutting brakes is really important but that is from my buddy with 14 bolt rear brakes. With my smaller brakes I'm pretty much all on all off. Either way having cutters gives you something new to play with on the trail and it's tons of fun.

This popped up on my feed.

Can something like this be replicated with independent rear parking brakes?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWQ91YgFKNw/?utm_medium=copy_link
I have to say, that was a really good cutting brake turn. The key to get it to work that well is to bump the inner tire up against a stop or get it unloaded like weight on opposite corner. It doesn't work me to just go into any turn and clamp inner brake. My cutters are not strong enough for that.

Ohhh yes! I am the cutting brake evangelist!! It's my favorite mod (with an Atlas). Its still useable without an Atlas but cutting brake really becomes effective when paired with a front dig. I have JL rear brakes which are a huge step up from tj brakes or jk brakes and more braking power would still be better. I was mostly interested in adding the cutting brakes for tight trail turns of which we have MANY on the Wetside of Washington.

Here's where I start the install or the brakes.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...e-the-3-rs-of-a-first-build.30419/post-862451
I wouldn't say this is all that costly of a mod by itself but you need to make new brake lines and probably do a bit of welding. Key for me was to flip the cutting brake lever pivot location so I could make the install in the console fairly clean looking. If you're doing it with an atlas then it becomes a very expensive mod.

Here's the final install picsView attachment 292817View attachment 292818
I also find myself using it as traction control. More than a couple obstacles around here when it gets really slippery a locked rear will just slid ride off the line. So sometimes I will go in open rear diff and apply cutting brake as I get a little slippage and it keeps me from getting kicked off the line.

Blaine has brought up a cool idea which is now a lot of the factory calipers have a solenoid operated rear parking brake that might be a very cool cutting brake option. I was told the feel of the cutting brakes is really important but that is from my buddy with 14 bolt rear brakes. With my smaller brakes I'm pretty much all on all off. Either way having cutters gives you something new to play with on the trail and it's tons of fun.

Now you're making me think about this mod. Damn like Now isn't the time to do it if I'm going to.