Brown Dog or M.O.R.E. MML?

Quigley

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi Jeeples,

Getting reading to address my suspension in the next couple weeks and my first round of updates will be a MML and BL. I’m set with the savvy 1.25” BL, but I’m stuck between the BD or MORE mounts. Is there a significant difference between the two. I want to stick with rubber since my trans mount is rubber. Is there anything that is significant between the two? I’ve notice more people on this site run the MORE , but haven’t come across any major negatives other than installation errors or mount compounds being mixed and matched. Educate me in the differences please!

My plan was to remove the mount from the brackets first than remove the larger cross bolt to skip the interference issues. Non ac Jeep tj with the 4.0.

Thanks,

Quigley

Reactions: JMT
I've had both and much prefer the MORE Bombproof motor mounts with rubber bushings which is made more heavily and is stronger in my opinion. Whatever you decide to buy, make sure its bushings are rubber and not polyurethane which transmits vibrations into the passenger compartment.

Reactions: Chris
I have the BDs and wish I would have went MORE. I have made several adjustments and have not been able to get rid of the vibes. Not horrible but far from stock. I am using the ones with rubber bushings. I plan to change to MORE or go back to stock with some 1" blocks.

You really should consider new stock mounts with blocks. The stock mounts are much better than either of those.
Having owned all three, I dunno how anyone could say the factory mounts are better than the MORE Bombproof mounts which are a heavyweight beast of a mount. Spacers under the stock mounts are good too but...

Reactions: Chris
Having owned all three, I dunno how anyone could say the factory mounts are better than the MORE Bombproof mounts which are a heavyweight beast of a mount. Spacers under the stock mounts are good too but...
I've noticed increased vibrations with the non-factory mounts. A really obvious increase. I wouldn't even mention it here but I've read Blaine say the same thing.

Edit: honestly I think there is a difference between putting a hardcore mount on your own Jeep and telling yourself that a little extra shake is worth it (which is fine) and putting it on a customers Jeep and having them say, WTF with the shakes?

Reactions: liquidfluidity
My previous TJ's MORE Bombproof with rubber bushings passed no vibrations. My Currie mounts came with polyurethane bushings and they readily passed more vibrations. So come to think I've actually had four different motor mounts.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I'm only here for the comments/notification/index the thread; after my transmission mount gets here (Mopar), I'll address the motor mounts.

Thanks for the replies,

I thought about just the spacers, but I still have the stock mounts and thought might as well replace with 150k miles on them. I thought with the 4.0 vibrations would be less since the engine weighs more than the 4cyl. I'll see what pricing I can find on each. Is there a forum discount for one or the other?

Either will work just fine and provide the lift required. I’ve used MORE BP in the past but went with BD this time around as MORE didn’t seem to offer a version to fit my 2.4 4-banger. The BD mounts are made well but I agree that they do not seem to be as heavy duty as the MORE. Still probably both of these are stronger than stock, not that it matters that much with a 4 cylinder. As mentioned go with the rubber inserts and the vibration shouldn’t be that much worse than stock mounts. At least mine wasn’t much worse for my TJ, maybe just a little.

I dont notice vibrations from the BD, but I would need to drive a TJ with stock MM’s and exact Same setup otherwise to be sure.

I vote for the spacer blocks also, unless the rubber in the OEM mounts is cracked or dry-rotted. The OEM mounts have more rubber for isolation than either MORE or Brown Dog, and as far as structural strength, how common is failure of the OEM mounts, not counting cracked or dry-rotted rubber?

Just a thought, I have the BD MML and no vibration issues over stock, but I also made sure not to over-tighten the prevailing torque nuts. I wonder how many people just crank those things down and then bitch about vibration.

For sure. I readjusted mine a bunch before I gave up. I didn't originally have washers but bought some. When I tightened, I did as the instructions stated, loosened, tightened, nothing helped for me. I'm super anal about things so I even counted threads and measured with a machinist rule..... no luck. :(

For sure. I readjusted mine a bunch before I gave up. I didn't originally have washers but bought some. When I tightened, I did as the instructions stated, loosened, tightened, nothing helped for me. I'm super anal about things so I even counted threads and measured with a machinist rule..... no luck. :(

Did going to stock with blocks help?

Just a thought, I have the BD MML and no vibration issues over stock, but I also made sure not to over-tighten the prevailing torque nuts. I wonder how many people just crank those things down and then bitch about vibration.

That doesn't make sense. Do the BD mounts not use an isolater in it's design?

I’m just going by brown dogs instructions, I’m assuming by over tightening the nuts you basically “fuse” the bolt and mount into one unit instead of allowing it to float in the rubber bushing there by not allowing it to provide its full vibration absorption potential...but I’m no engineer, just a dude who likes to follow instructions. I just know plenty of people who tighten everything with an extra grunt, you know, just to make sure it’s good and tight.