teagan_tj

hey yall i want to build up my jeep but keep her on a budget. If you have anything you think i should add i plan on using my jeep as a everyday car and a weekend warrior but in the summer i plan on taking her out 24/7. hers some of the things i have on a list any recommendations for good prices or links would be much appreciated!!

cb radio
jerry can/mount on stock tire
fire extinguisher
body armor
fenders
speakers
new soft top
cargo rack
light bar
fog lights
head/tail lights
floor mats
3 or 3.5 inch lift
35" tires
jack
center console
skid plates
lockers

Depends on what you are going to do with it .

If you are going out 24/7 , you are going to need a butt load of caffeine.

On 35" tires , it just isn't that simple, and needs to be forgotten if the word budget is the mandatory guideline. You need a lot of lift, regeared, big brakes and really upgraded steering components..basically 8-10,000 dollars to do it right , plus the spare , wheel and carrier is a grand easy , maybe more.

Sounds like you are excited about it - I'd do everything to make it safe and dependable first , then go from there. Definitely not trying to put you down, or pee on the fire ...go for it, and stay on here- the more you are on here the better it will work out, if you pay attention to what these guys do that gets results.

Last edited:
hey yall i want to build up my jeep but keep her on a budget. If you have anything you think i should add i plan on using my jeep as a everyday car and a weekend warrior but in the summer i plan on taking her out 24/7. hers some of the things i have on a list any recommendations for good prices or links would be much appreciated!!

cb radio
jerry can/mount on stock tire
fire extinguisher
body armor
fenders
speakers
new soft top
cargo rack
light bar
fog lights
head/tail lights
floor mats
3 or 3.5 inch lift
35" tires
jack
center console
skid plates
lockers

How long have you had it? As already mentioned, make sure everything is running perfectly and if something needs fixing I'd put money into that first.

From there, I'd suggest spending the money on gas to go to trails that are within your ability and those that stretch your ability. You'll quickly figure out what needs upgrading from there and it'll be much cheaper than wasting money on parts you don't need. A lot of what you posted will just get in the way and weigh your build down causing more problems than solutions.

For example, I don't see the purpose of light bars on 99% of Jeeps. If you're in that 1% that benefits you'll know it. And honestly, cheap light bars put the light in all the wrong places and aren't worth it (*except for very specific purposes). A quality set of properly aimed headlights should be more than enough.

If you don't already have the factory jack under the passenger's seat, find one and get it there. Same for floor mats, those will save you from cleaning up messes.

How long have you had it? As already mentioned, make sure everything is running perfectly and if something needs fixing I'd put money into that first.

From there, I'd suggest spending the money on gas to go to trails that are within your ability and those that stretch your ability. You'll quickly figure out what needs upgrading from there and it'll be much cheaper than wasting money on parts you don't need. A lot of what you posted will just get in the way and weigh your build down causing more problems than solutions.

For example, I don't see the purpose of light bars on 99% of Jeeps. If you're in that 1% that benefits you'll know it. A quality set of properly aimed headlights should be more than enough.
I got her a little bit ago i got the engine all checked out and i plan on going on a few easy trails near me but the lift and bigger tires are for later because I want to get some experience then try out the Rubicon and trails like that. Also thank you for the advice about the light bar i've been thinking should i get the better head lights first or not then see.

Reactions: AndyG
I got her a little bit ago i got the engine all checked out and i plan on going on a few easy trails near me but the lift and bigger tires are for later because I want to get some experience then try out the Rubicon and trails like that. Also thank you for the advice about the light bar i've been thinking should i get the better head lights first or not then see.

@pagrey linked me this video last week:

Reactions: pagrey and Tob

For example, I don't see the purpose of light bars on 99% of Jeeps. If you're in that 1% that benefits you'll know it. And honestly, cheap light bars put the light in all the wrong places and aren't worth it (*except for very specific purposes). A quality set of properly aimed headlights should be more than enough.

If you don't already have the factory jack under the passenger's seat, find one and get it there. Same for floor mats, those will save you from cleaning up messes.
Listen to this man.

He knows how to make it happen. In the shop and on the trail.

I have 5 KC smiley face 6 " halogen lights, roosters crow when I turn them on. They are basically a tribute to a bygone era ...the only light you typically need is where you are driving. I never use them ...save the power for a winch or on board air.

Your list is overall sensible, I'd wait on the lift and tires until I was real sure what I wanted , so you don't get into it and can't do it right because you run out of money or go down a path and waste money because you need to reroute. Lifts have real consequences, and those take money to resolve.

Just being real man , jeep us posted.

Reactions: Tob and 2006TJ1
Listen to this man.

He knows how to make it happen. In the shop and on the trail.

I have 5 KC smiley face 6 " halogen lights, roosters crow when I turn them on. They are basically a tribute to a bygone era ...the only light you typically need is where you are driving. I never use them ...save the power for a winch or on board air.

Your list is overall sensible, I'd wait on the lift and tires until I was real sure what I wanted , so you don't get into it and can't do it right because you run out of money or go down a path and waste money because you need to reroute. Lifts have real consequences, and those take money to resolve.

Just being real man , jeep us posted.
I was also think about lifting it till later the list is in kind of order in winch i would like to purchase things in but thank you so much for the advice and I will 100% jeep ya'll posted.

Reactions: Tob
www.rightchannelradios.com for the CB radio and equipment - www.firestik.com is also a good source of info for all things CB.

www.crutchfield.com for speakers and audio

www.huskyliners.com for the floor mats - I've had a set in both my TJ's and they fit really well.
I found this cb a little bit ago on the first link you recommended it looks good for a starter which is what im going for for the radio but ill check out the other links and do some digging to see what I like. Thank you so much for the help!

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.a...xy5EheaQPFWeT1PKA3YamCzbXSHetvKhoCRN4QAvD_BwE

Reactions: Tob
Depends on what you are going to do with it .

If you are going out 24/7 , you are going to need a butt load of caffeine.

On 35" tires , it just isn't that simple, and needs to be forgotten if the word budget is the mandatory guideline. You need a lot of lift, regeared, big brakes and really upgraded steering components..basically 8-10,000 dollars to do it right , plus the spare , wheel and carrier is a grand easy , maybe more.

Sounds like you are excited about it - I'd do everything to make it safe and dependable first , then go from there. Definitely not trying to put you down, or pee on the fire ...go for it, and stay on here- the more you are on here the better it will work out, if you pay attention to what these guys do that gets results.
No no your totally not putting me down this is the advice i need also i was planning on getting everything then deciding if i really wanna lift. thank you for the advice is greatly appreciated!

Put it this way, these things are never cheap and one mod leads to the other. Sure, you can go on 35s on a stock unlifted TJ, however you wont be able to get much out of it and will have lots of problems(lack of power/rubbing no travel etc.), it will cost about 8-10k like *andyG stated above "To do it right," people really start getting pissy though when people dont setup their rigs "the right way" on this forum FYI. Can you just throw on 35s, with 4 inches of lift, stock brakes, stock gearing? Sure, it might suck but you can do it and people will bitch about it since its not right

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 02GreenTJ
35” tires and a “budget build”

🤣🤣🤣🤪😂
Forum terminology example - use of the word "budget" in TJWranglerforum approved vocabulary is typically used in this fashion-

"I have a budget of $20,000 to do this build" , not "I'm on a budget and can't get wiper blades this month".

Our idea of a budget is about like Congress...all we can get our hands on.

toximus stated above "To do it right,"
He didn't say that ,I did ...and for a better viewpoint, "right" as in operable, safe and effective ...not with certain brand products or as an elitest viewpoint . 35" tires far exceed the scale of the vehicle, look under it and look under an f250/350, something a 35 is intended for. Makes a TJ look like a toy. It really does take a lot to make a TJ work well with them and for them not to shake it apart.

You may find people getting persnickety on build strategy, but not me ..because it isn't my TJ or my money. I want to see people have a good experience with there TJ and enjoy being on here, and benefit as I have.

Welcome aboard from a fellow NorCal jeeper. Got any pics of your ride?
yes sir!

IMG-1752.jpg

IMG-2368.JPG

60539383175--06C7E58A-10D8-4EB7-9CA7-228468FA62F2.JPG