Build a HP30, LP44 or Currie 44?

If you're thinking of running a low pinion front axle then the other Dana 44 to look at is from the 1980 & newer Wagoneer. It's 61" WMS and has larger ball joints than a TJ axle. Yes you have to weld on all the brackets but it's a option.
Stock it's a 6x5.5 bolt pattern but you can swap it out for a 5x5.5 BP.
Stronger axle tubes also. There were a few years that used a axle disconnect that you'd want to avoid.
Just another option to think about. It would be the same as the HP44 that Nate's running only a LP instead.

The wagoneer stuff is getting hard to find and when you do they want a fortune.

Reactions: reddvltj
I haven't looked recently but seen some within the past year for a fair price.
But yes I'm sure they are becoming harder to find. Was just throwing out another option.

What do you know about this one, welded obviously no good:

A60F016C-B178-4D05-8EEA-CB529EC9840C.png

+1 vote for the hp30. I have one regeared to 5.13 and am very happy with it due to the clearance gains, front driveshaft angle, and the caster angle I ended up with (5 degrees). Now that I have built a suspension with 5.5” of front uptravel with the hp30 I don’t even want to think about trying to package a Currie hp44. Among other things I had to modify one of the support brackets of my savvy engine skid plate to make space for the hp30’s pinion at full bump. With an hp44 it will be even higher. If you don’t have an engine skid then maybe it won’t be a problem.

It's not from a Bronco originally. The radius mounts were cast into the stock Bronco and this axle doesn't have any.
IMO it might be worth $800 max.. but it sure isn't worth $2k.

Someone's been smoking crack and it's a bad batch. Ain't no way a Waggy Dana 44 is worth $1k.

Depending on year, the bronco also had a welded radius mount.

Reactions: reddvltj
If it were me I wouldn't waste any money on a Dana 30, especially if you ever plan to resell the parts when you go bigger later.

But there were some still out there that were welded in 78, i had one of those in a rust bucket that I robbed the diff from.

Was it from a Bronco? My understanding was the Bronco was cast. There were some of the pickups that weren't. But this is just the information I've gotten from other posts and threads on the subject.

Was it from a Bronco? My understanding was the Bronco was cast. There were some of the pickups that weren't. But this is just the information I've gotten from other posts and threads on the subject.

Yes, ugly with the removable top, door went the typical ford tink when it closed.

Reactions: Wildman
Allows for less pinion angle and a tummy tuck while maintaining castor, if you get the knuckles from an 86 Cherokee they also allow for a bbk if you use explorer rotors and the 1500 ram dual piston calipers…

If you are silly or don't plan to wheel very hard, you can use those knuckles. Personally, I don't like trying to weld up the lower hole when it blows apart on the trail.

Interesting - I've not heard of that method of bbk. What is the minimum rim size for that setup?

Should be able to use a steel 15". But, this is the lower ball joint hole. That gold threaded adjuster you see in all the Spicer lower ball joint kits is what screws into that hole which makes it very weak and easily blown out when you stress it offroad.

1679868495119.png

It’s on rme4x4.com for all of the specs in the tech section, I don’t want to take away from Blaine’s kit, just another option if you’re looking for something to play with

If you didn't want to do that, you'd just keep your fucking mouth shut. I don't care that you do it, just don't lie about what you are doing.