Build a HP30, LP44 or Currie 44?

Should be able to use a steel 15". But, this is the lower ball joint hole. That gold threaded adjuster you see in all the Spicer lower ball joint kits is what screws into that hole which makes it very weak and easily blown out when you stress it offroad.

View attachment 410605

Thanks for the clarification. Running black magic pads right now with great results. Not really in the market for a bbk, but always interested in alternatives. This one is clearly not the one to pursue for me.

Thanks for the clarification. Running black magic pads right now with great results. Not really in the market for a bbk, but always interested in alternatives. This one is clearly not the one to pursue for me.

If you go down that path, I've got a set of those knuckles here you can have for the cost of shipping.

Here's my plan:

'04 LJ non-Rubi (LP30 and 44 rear)
42RLE
Savvy Midarm
35s

What front axle would everyone recommend I go with?

I see 3 options:

HP30 w/5.13s
Rubi LP44 w/5.38s
Currie 44 w/5.38s

HP30 is obviously the cheapest/easiest swap. But this is my daily driver, so I think I would want all the gear I can get with my 42RLE.
I would love a Currie 44 for the 5.38s, HP, and increased strength, but dang that price stings.

I think it boils down to how big of a difference 5.38s would make over 5.13s in daily driving, and whether the increased strength of the Currie is worth it. Let me know what you guys think, any input is appreciated!

All those axles can handle 35’s. No need to repeat what the Dana 30 needs. If money is no option then I’d probably do the Currie and run 538’s, but a built 30 with 513’s is all I’d need.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ