Build a HP30, LP44 or Currie 44?

Have you visited the Grimm Jeeper gear calculator? While 5.38's are the better choice it's up to you if the small difference is worth it.
My opinion is to stick with the Dana 30 and use the money saved to add a big brake kit to your build.
I just finished putting 5.13's in a HP Dana 30 for my LJ with plans for 35's. I thought about a Dana 44 but the Rubi axle wasn't a big enough upgrade and a Currie was overkill for my needs. Here's a screenshot of the difference between 5.13's (left) and 5.38's (right) with 35's.
View attachment 408954

I tweaked the numbers (RPM and MPH) a bit in 5.13's left and 5.38's right. Not a lot of difference.

1679671357053.png

Here's my plan:

'04 LJ non-Rubi (LP30 and 44 rear)
42RLE
Savvy Midarm
35s

What front axle would everyone recommend I go with?

I see 3 options:

HP30 w/5.13s
Rubi LP44 w/5.38s
Currie 44 w/5.38s

HP30 is obviously the cheapest/easiest swap. But this is my daily driver, so I think I would want all the gear I can get with my 42RLE.
I would love a Currie 44 for the 5.38s, HP, and increased strength, but dang that price stings.

I think it boils down to how big of a difference 5.38s would make over 5.13s in daily driving, and whether the increased strength of the Currie is worth it. Let me know what you guys think, any input is appreciated!

My LJ has 5.13's and a Rockjock 44 because I didn't add the new axles at the same time and I had a rear 44 with 5.13's. I don't mind the 42RLE, I also live in the midwest so it's pretty flat here. 5.38's are the best choice but the 44 is not so you have to pick your poison.

I'd go with a 30 of either flavor and build it. Then when you decide you want 37's or larger get 60's.

My LJ has 5.13's and a Rockjock 44 because I didn't add the new axles at the same time and I had a rear 44 with 5.13's. I don't mind the 42RLE, I also live in the midwest so it's pretty flat here. 5.38's are the best choice but the 44 is not so you have to pick your poison.

I'd go with a 30 of either flavor and build it. Then when you decide you want 37's or larger get 60's.

I think that’s a very sensible approach. A HP30 can get the job done nicely until you absolutely need to go bigger.

Hp30s are cheap and plentiful. If 5.13s are your gear choice, then that is the route I would go.

Allows for less pinion angle and a tummy tuck while maintaining castor, if you get the knuckles from an 86 Cherokee they also allow for a bbk if you use explorer rotors and the 1500 ram dual piston calipers…

Allows for less pinion angle and a tummy tuck while maintaining castor, if you get the knuckles from an 86 Cherokee they also allow for a bbk if you use explorer rotors and the 1500 ram dual piston calipers…

Interesting - I've not heard of that method of bbk. What is the minimum rim size for that setup?

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I tweaked the numbers (RPM and MPH) a bit in 5.13's left and 5.38's right. Not a lot of difference.

View attachment 410018

This. I doubt you could tell the difference. Plus the 30 will have better clearance!

I might be able to talk myself into the 44 if I was spending someone else's money. No way if I paying for it.

Hp30s are cheap and plentiful. If 5.13s are your gear choice, then that is the route I would go.

They used to be. I looked for one for months here and couldn't find one. Fortunately, I ultimately found and entire 99 XJ and am pulling one from there.

@Duck Doctor @06lj @Jerry Bransford @B00mb00m

Thank you all for the input. Strongly leaning towards avoiding the Currie44 and going Rubi44 for the 5.38s.

This is my daily after all, and I’ve had poor experience with being undergeared in other brand of 4x4 (roughly the equivalent of running 35s on 3.07s on a TJ 😂), so I want all the gear I can get!

@Duck Doctor @06lj @Jerry Bransford @B00mb00m

Thank you all for the input. Strongly leaning towards avoiding the Currie44 and going Rubi44 for the 5.38s.

This is my daily after all, and I’ve had poor experience with being undergeared in other brand of 4x4 (roughly the equivalent of running 35s on 3.07s on a TJ 😂), so I want all the gear I can get!

If you're thinking of running a low pinion front axle then the other Dana 44 to look at is from the 1980 & newer Wagoneer. It's 61" WMS and has larger ball joints than a TJ axle. Yes you have to weld on all the brackets but it's a option.
Stock it's a 6x5.5 bolt pattern but you can swap it out for a 5x5.5 BP.
Stronger axle tubes also. There were a few years that used a axle disconnect that you'd want to avoid.
Just another option to think about. It would be the same as the HP44 that Nate's running only a LP instead.

Reactions: reddvltj and Irun