Build Questions

StoneCold

TJ Enthusiast
Well I have been doing a lot of research into how to proceed with my TJ.....a bit overwhelmed I must say.

So, first things first: 2000 TJ, Sport, 4.0, 5 speed manual, 3.73 gears, hard top, 150k on the clock, Dane 30 front, Dana 35 in back. I'm wanting a vehicle that is reliable and safe for me, wife and dogs to go wheeling on mild to moderate trails. Hunting, camping, day trips, maybe longer road trips if I hunt out of state.

I know I need several maintenance items. Exhaust has a hole in the muffler - thinking cat back to renew it. Should probably replace the ball joints, u joints, and bushings. Has been grinding into 2nd gear when cold since I changed the fluid. Looks like I might have some leaks around the transmission and t case - not dripping. Also in driving it, it feels like the suspension is shot...probably original.

So help me out with "the plan" After reading a lot of posts from you guys I'm wanting to keep it fairly mild until I determine I "need" more. I have changed out my original tires to 31x10.5 x 15 bfg ko2's, put them on stock gamblers I got cheap! Replaced the tube bumpers with bumpers with recovery points on them. Have a warn m8000 going on the front once I get it going.

So, I'm thinking OME 2.5" hd lift next. That cures the suspension and should make it more fun to drive.

Here's where it gets tougher.... Thinking if I use adjustable track bars front and rear, adjustable control arms top and bottom, front and rear - I can avoid the transfer case drop, body lift, and motor mounts to stop vibes?? That also replaces a lot of worn parts and sets me up for future mods if I need / want them.

Which ones to use though? I know sometimes with a low lift the track bars rub on the differentials. Quality adjustable control arms? Will it work?

Thinking Currie anti-rock, zj tie rod, steering box skid and maybe some armor - like the gas tank skid to finish for now....wheel it like that and see what I want.

Possible future is super 35 and 30, sye, new drive shafts, lockers. Which using the adjustable components makes this easier.

Let me know your thoughts. Suggestions and anything else you might want to say...lol.

SC

Well cant go wrong with what you listed so far i am running currie savy ome but at a 4.5 lift . I am suler happy with that set up i am running quick discos and am happy with that. Super 35 arb in back 30 spline arb in the front great set up for what i used it for

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was thinking about a taller lift too. However, LOTS of guys here say they wished they stayed with the 2.5" and 31's......I figure there has to be a reason for that.

Anyone know if it will work like I think?

SC

My advice is to consider where you want to end up. If you really are set on eventually running 35" tires, you don't want a 2.5" lift. You'll want to get a 4" lift right out of the gate, plus a 1" body lift. Problem is, I wouldn't bother doing that if you're going to cheap out on the lift (i.e. Rough Country, Sky Jacker, etc.).

I can't tell you what path I think you should take, but I think that it's silly when people are running 35" tires and 5" lifts when all they are doing is hunting, light off-roading, and overloading. That's the type of stuff I do, and even at 33" tires and a 4" lift, it's overkill, trust me.

I wish more than anything I had stayed with my 2.5" OME lift. With the larger 4" lift comes the need for adjustable control arms, track bars, and much more. A 2.5" OME lift is easy to dial in, won't set you back that much, and you'll have much fuller pockets at the end. Not to mention you'll have a damn fine ride. Add a 1" body lift to that and you can put 33" tires under there, a tummy tuck, and more. But, you won't need the adjustable control arms, track bars and more, that come with a larger lift.

And ask yourself, do you really need some of those things like adjustable control arms? Well, sure, you do if you're trying to correct the pinion angle from a 4" lift. However, with a 2.5" lift you don't need them. The only reason you'd need them other than pinion angle adjustments, would be for maximum misalignment and flex. Unless you're doing some serious rock crawling, you won't need any of that.

If it was my TJ I would do the following:

- Currie Antirock
- Savvy Aluminum Skid Plate / Under Armor (for tummy tuck)
- JKS or Currie track bars (not absolutely necessary at this height, but certainly won't hurt)
- 31" to 33" Tires
- Chromoly Axle Shafts (Revolution shafts are the best, and the only ones made in the USA)
- Front and Rear Lockers
- Super 35 Rear Axle Kit (you'll need this if you want to put a locker in that rear Dana 35)
- New Gears (gear ratio will depend on tire size, transmission, and engine)

You won't really need adjustable track bars at this height. However, if you want to put some adjustable track bars on there, the JKS ones are good, as well as the Curries. The Curries IMHO are the best, but they're also really expensive!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That lift height does not need adjustable control arms. If you want to avoid vibs you should spend the money on a sye and dc driveshaft. You avoid vibs and the potential of dropping the driveshaft while off road. The adjustable front tb is a good to have, the rear can simply run a relocation bracket. The ZJ set up would be great to have. I bent my tie rod somewhere along the way and that was only on fire roads/very mild trails.

I will add; I use mine for the same kind of stuff and flat tow it to Idaho for hunting. I have 31's and about 1.25" as of last year. I only got held back on two rutted out, muddy trails after some heavy rain and snow. What I needed (and now have) was traction devices, locker and Truetrac. Money used on those will be better spent, IMO, than more lift.

Last edited:
Our TJ's are finicky creatures. Even with as little as a 2.5" lift, you can still get drive line vibes. A TC drop could be needed, or you could do a motor mount lift to help with the angle to the dangle. Don't rule out Metal Cloak for TB's and CA's.

Reactions: Rob5589
Chris has you about covered, and its pretty close to what I plan on as well. My future uses include hunting, overlanding, fireroads, and offroad parks. I have some friends with 35's and its too much. 33's will be perfect, for me. The OME lift, with a 1.25 BL will get me plenty of clearance for 33's, won't induce any crazy suspension issues, and isn't terribly expensive. Phase two is a Tummy tuck, which is a bit more involved, but is something I feel is necessary for the rubicon after cleaning 50 lbs of dirt out of my skidplate!

Thanks all.

I have no intention of running 35" tires on the TJ. 33's would be max if I "needed" them. Mild to moderate wheeling / exploring is my intention.

Any other feedback would be great....thanks again.

SC

I'll throw my 2¢ worth in here...though the trail has been pretty well covered so far.

I run 31" tires on my '99 SE with H&R springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. That gives me about an inch and a half of lift on my super-light TJ. It should net out around an inch on a heavier rig. I run back roads and skidder trails, mostly.

My advice is to start with the trails and conditions you are likely to encounter, add a little capability, make a plan and build to the plan.

Unfortunately, the stuff that yields the most capability is the most expensive to do all in one shot. Proper wheels and tires with a very modest upgrade in springs and shocks. (Look into the H&R / Bilstein setup, just for giggles) Stick with a 31" tire. Next up is a biggy. Do the axle shaft, gears and lockers upgrade. I would do that before even throwing a winch and bumpers on, personally. Then do the brakes, front and rear with quality components. I would advise Centric, but there is other quality brands as well. Stuff some Black magic brake pads on. Do the ZJ tie rod conversion.

Make sure that any corrosion and damage is corrected, and all of the usual maintenance items are up to date. Then go wheel the snot out of it. You may discover that those mods are all you need for what you do. One things for sure. What your TJ is capable of doing with just those mods will amaze you. I'm guessing that you will run out of tire tread type and driver skill before the TJ gives up.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, purchase a SYE and double cardan driveshaft. You may not need them at 2" of lift (though it varies from TJ to TJ), but if you plan on doing a tummy tuck in the future, they will be necessary anyways.

It also beats dropping the transfer case!

Nicely said @StG58. Lots of people overlook the expensive stuff like gears and lockers because they cannot "see" where the money went. Instead thinking more lift and bigger tires are what is holding them back on the trails.

I am at about 2-2.25" of lift now and that is more than enough for my uses. Last year I was stuufing that thing through bushes and manzanita so thick you couldn't get out of the doors if you had to. That and low hanging crap dragging across the top. Any higher and it would actually limit where I could take it.

Reactions: StG58
Chris has you about covered, and its pretty close to what I plan on as well. My future uses include hunting, overlanding, fireroads, and offroad parks. I have some friends with 35's and its too much. 33's will be perfect, for me. The OME lift, with a 1.25 BL will get me plenty of clearance for 33's, won't induce any crazy suspension issues, and isn't terribly expensive. Phase two is a Tummy tuck, which is a bit more involved, but is something I feel is necessary for the rubicon after cleaning 50 lbs of dirt out of my skidplate!

It's not affectionately called a "shovel" for no reason :D

Nicely said @StG58. Lots of people overlook the expensive stuff like gears and lockers because they cannot "see" where the money went. Instead thinking more lift and bigger tires are what is holding them back on the trails.

I am at about 2-2.25" of lift now and that is more than enough for my uses. Last year I was stuufing that thing through bushes and manzanita so thick you couldn't get out of the doors if you had to. That and low hanging crap dragging across the top. Any higher and it would actually limit where I could take it.
More importantly for a lot of people, their buddies can't see where the money went. I cracks me up when an old fart in a stock looking Jeep or truck out-wheels a bunch of kids in obviously modified rigs. Happens all the time with the Suburban. A bunch of youngsters show up in camp in the late afternoon. All sorts of expressions of amazement and disbelief are shared as I'm sitting around the campfire drinking Bourbon and cooking something big and meaty on the camp grill. Most often it starts out with "how'd you get THAT up here?!". Though I do have to admit, I wonder about that myself sometimes.

Bottom line: It's very often what you can't see that makes the difference between getting there and back, not what shows well at the mall.
It's not affectionately called a "shovel" for no reason :D

Not sure there is any affection in calling it a "shovel", and there is usually another word or two associated with that.

Reactions: Rob5589 and Mike_H
One things for sure. What your TJ is capable of doing with just those mods will amaze you. I'm guessing that you will run out of tire tread type and driver skill before the TJ gives up.

Yes, this!

This was after about an hour and a half / two hour trail I ran...Notice the sign Below the parking sign...I got stuck exactly three times, and once was my own fault, not because the jeep wasn't capable. Only required a winch once. Other times I was able to Leverage logs or something to get over the obstacle. This is a bone stock, just as the factory intended Rubicon. I was locked up for a good part of the trail, but that's why I held out for a Rubi. This is how I know a 33" tire will be just right for me. I don't need to conquer every obstacle.

3Oe9pG7N0_xoAbGMBTSdDTSnWYaNyXyDVoUfSK5OVLFmraxdCnrBoTa69KZQYlYZI4lzecHcbOeIp2tjUE=w1131-h636-no.jpg

Interesting....not once did I say I wanted anything for show........Never said I wanted a big lift, big tires, or to impress anyone. Just a reliable vehicle for going solo on mild to moderate shit.

The lift would be maintenance as the current suspension has 150k on it. Most all of this was intended to cover maintenance. I've already done the brakes.. Need to do exhaust, suspension, u joints, bushings, ball joints.....yada yada.....

Reactions: StG58
Interesting....not once did I say I wanted anything for show........Never said I wanted a big lift, big tires, or to impress anyone. Just a reliable vehicle for going solo on mild to moderate shit.
Yup, that you did! (Didn't? ) ...and here we are happily modifying your TJ and giving you lots of opinions on things your not going to do anyway. :) Lots of maintenance and fix-it stuff on a TJ.

The lift would be maintenance as the current suspension has 150k on it. Most all of this was intended to cover maintenance. I've already done the brakes.. Need to do exhaust, suspension, u joints, bushings, ball joints.....yada yada.....

Hope you didn't take my comments as aimed at you. They weren't at all. Just responding to StG58 in generalities.

No worries here gents.....just pointing out the winding road.

Spring time is a bad time for working on a Jeep too....cause I saw a real clean LJ Rubi for sale....before I could go look it was sold! (2 days) thoughts of an LJ or LJ Rubi or Rubi in general would give me some thought....

Lol!! Cheers !!

SC