Build the rig to fit the trail

So you have 2" suspension and 1.25 body? I would run it as-is with the Eccos and 31's. Seems like unnecessary work to remove the BL only to drop it 1.25". I laughed when you mentioned Jeep "aerodynamics." :D

Yes sir. And, that was my original plan, but i'm weird about factory setups; to me, they are the most desirable and simplistic!

Well yea Jeep's are certainly barns that "assault the air", but hey any and all aerodynamic gains I can have, i'll welcome! My $30 gas bill every few days is getting old! ;)

X2. Keep the 2" suspension lift at least. BL and MMLare optional, but don't know why you would go to all that work to undo what you did. If you do, let me know and I might buy the BL and MML

Yes, I think i'm gonna put the 31's on first, and then decide if I want to keep the suspension lift or not. And, I am certainly going to take them off, i'm not sure if I want to sell them though, as I change my mind very often and may want to go back :D

Albeit I do appreciate the offer!

Wanting to get other Jeeper's opinions...

I did the whole lift kit, black steel wheels, 33" tires, 1.25" body lift, etc., and now am regretting all of it. It's just too much for me.

So I have decided to soon drop down to 31" tires, on factory Ecco rims; take out my body lift, and take out my motor mount lift. But I have not decided if I want to drop my 2" coil lift for factory springs. I just like how the TJ Rubicon sits and the attitude that you don't need anything more than 31" tires and stock springs. That's the vibe I am going for.

View attachment 14829

The question though is, is it worth dropping the 2" lift? Other than losing 2" of extra "flex space", but gaining better aerodynamics?

View attachment 14830

This is what I used to have (31" tires, and nothing else). Very tempted to go back.
Like others have said, ditch the body lift and MML and keep the 2". To me a 2" is just about right for 31's, you can flex it without any rub and you get to keep the belly clearance.

Here's mine on 32's with a 2" lift and added spacers to the front to level it out:

20170422_180726217_iOS.jpg
20170422_180732499_iOS.jpg
20170422_180741305_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle_W
@Nashorn101 I really like my 2.5"OME with no BL or MML. I'm actually getting 2 3/4 in F and 3 3/8 in R with hardtop. I'm light though. Can't decide now whether to do fenders and regear to 4.56 for 33's, or stay with a 31 build and tummy tuck

@Rob80x - Are you running 32x11.5? On the Ravine's, are you rubbing at all or are you running spacers? Also, if those are stock flares, how is the coverage?
Yes 32x11.50's with 1.5" spacers. Slight rubbing on the control arms w/o them. Coverage is pretty good. May add some Rubicon flares down the road.

Like others have said, ditch the body lift and MML and keep the 2". To me a 2" is just about right for 31's, you can flex it without any rub and you get to keep the belly clearance.

Yes I am going to keep my 2" lift until I put the 31's on, and then decide if I want to indeed keep it or not. I am on the fence if whether or not 31's look right with a 2" lift. Thanks for the pics! That's a good combo!

@Nashorn101 I really like my 2.5"OME with no BL or MML. I'm actually getting 2 3/4 in F and 3 3/8 in R with hardtop. I'm light though. Can't decide now whether to do fenders and regear to 4.56 for 33's, or stay with a 31 build and tummy tuck

Could you post up pics of your Jeep with the 2.5" lift and 31's? That's the lift I was eventually going to get, if I stuck with around 2" of lift.

And, i'd stick with 31's personally! Something like a tummy tuck is a good investment that's not very expensive. Regearing though and 33's is much more expensive!

Yes I am going to keep my 2" lift until I put the 31's on, and then decide if I want to indeed keep it or not. I am on the fence if whether or not 31's look right with a 2" lift. Thanks for the pics! That's a good combo!

Could you post up pics of your Jeep with the 2.5" lift and 31's? That's the lift I was eventually going to get, if I stuck with around 2" of lift.

And, i'd stick with 31's personally! Something like a tummy tuck is a good investment that's not very expensive. Regearing though and 33's is much more expensive!

Sure. Heres a few angles

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5672.JPG

IMG_5722.JPG

Reactions: Rob80x

A tummy tuck isn't cheap. You need a skid plate, trans mount, sye, driveline, adjustable rear control arms, some exhaust mods, modify or new t/c shifter linkage, and possibly modify or new rear shock mounts.

Nice MTR's! Always thought they were the most badass tires out there. I just don't off-road enough to warrant purchasing them.

What are you doing May 13th? I just noticed you were from Texas. We are going to Bryan for some off-roading.
Yeah, I noticed you guys were going. I looked into the off-road park you mentioned in another thread. Free! I would sure like to go. I'm still trying to figure it out...Thanks for the invite!

A tummy tuck isn't cheap. You need a skid plate, trans mount, sye, driveline, adjustable rear control arms, some exhaust mods, modify or new t/c shifter linkage, and possibly modify or new rear shock mounts.
Exactly, it's one of those mods where I'd have to buy the parts over time and spend a week putting them on at the same time. I think it would be awesome. If I could get it flat I could get like 17+ inches clearance in the belly...On this note, do you have to do a MML and BL to TT?

A totally flat TT is a bunch of work. Yes, you would need a body lift, mml, as well as all the other parts I mentioned and probably some tub modifications. My suggestions weren't referencing a flat skid, just an increased clearance skid.

I may try a Barnes 4WD skid and see if I can get away without all the other stuff. http://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-3-Drop-Skid-Plate_p_230.html
This skid isn't what I would call a true TT but, will definitely add some clearance. There will have to be some fabbing on the trans mount and who knows what else. If I can make it work, it would be a nice option for those of us running stock or minimal lift and do not want to lay out significant cash and/or make tons of modifications. For only 200, I can't see a downside.

Exactly, it's one of those mods where I'd have to buy the parts over time and spend a week putting them on at the same time. I think it would be awesome. If I could get it flat I could get like 17+ inches clearance in the belly...On this note, do you have to do a MML and BL to TT?

I didn't know you could go entirely flat! I always thought a BL + MML + Aftermarket skid was the best you could do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A totally flat TT is a bunch of work. Yes, you would need a body lift, mml, as well as all the other parts I mentioned and probably some tub modifications. My suggestions weren't referencing a flat skid, just an increased clearance skid.

I may try a Barnes 4WD skid and see if I can get away without all the other stuff. http://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-3-Drop-Skid-Plate_p_230.html
This skid isn't what I would call a true TT but, will definitely add some clearance. There will have to be some fabbing on the trans mount and who knows what else. If I can make it work, it would be a nice option for those of us running stock or minimal lift and do not want to lay out significant cash and/or make tons of modifications. For only 200, I can't see a downside.
Did anyone ever tell you you have great ideas and info throughout the forum? I'm going to consider the Barne's skid.

Looks like the 3" drop doesn't give more clearance but flat to slide over obstacles. Is that right?

With the 2" drop would I get 1"+ clearance if I do it with a 1" BL. Could I do this and just re-mount the fan shroud to avoid a MML? That puts it all in the $325 range.

Are you thinking to do the 1" drop and modify the transmission tunnel?

No, but thanks! The Barnes will give about an inch more clearance as well as ease of sliding over whatever. The factory skid hangs down a bit over 4 inches. This is all preliminary but, looking at the case, I am hoping to not use any body lift or tunnel pounding. The factory mount will either have to modified or swapped out altogether. What I am assuming is that the mount could attach directly to the plate using only a small box to protect the bolts. If you look at the Under Cover Fab skid for example, you will see the cross member in their skid. That is what is really pushing the trans/t case up. The Barnes does not have that cross member. If, and again I don't know yet, I can get around that, I can get away without the severe angle changes. Or maybe just the 1" body lift and mml, again will have to wait and see. On mine the 2.4 runs an electric fan so no problems with that.

Here's just the gain I was able to make removing the Skyjacker T-Case skid drop that was on mine when I bought it.
Every inch counts!

Before:
IMG_3204.JPG

After:
IMG_3219.JPG

This has been the best thread. I love all the ideas that get discussed that are great for those of us who want capability without getting too far from stock...

Can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to go all out with a 4" lift & 33" tires, opening up Pandora's box...

I've enjoyed this thread as well. After wheeling in my local'ish parks and pulling the skidplate, I know I'll want 33's. For overlanding, 31's are fine...hell, 29's would be fine. Once you get in a park and there are obstacles, the extra clearance and breakover angle will be appreciated. I beat the hell out of my skid last time I went. If I did a full on 4" currie lift with a 1 inch body lift, 35's, etc, I think the trails would be too easy. 33's are still reasonably streetable, I think Wranglers look damn near perfect with 33's, and it will still be a challenge to roll through the trails I run. PLUS, I can get there with only a couple inches of lift and a 1" BL. Phase two will be a tummy tuck to increase clearance even more.