Build Thread 2 - the recovery

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Alrighty then, this is build thread #2 for the 1999 SE with an AX5 transmission. It's a recovery build from a very specialized build that I have now to a more generally useful build, taking into account all of the good advice that I've ignored over the years.

First up: 33x12.50 tires on 15x8" rims. 4" backspacing. Alloy in gunmetal grey.

Axles: Dana 35 with 4.88 or 5.13 gears and a Revolution Super 35 kit with Detroit Locker. I've driven Detroit equipped vehicles off and on since the 70's, so they are no mystery to me. Dana 30 in front with a Powertrax No Slip and alloy axles.

Black Magic stock upgrade kit for the front. Centric rotors, Centric stock calipers, Black Magic front pads and YJ brake lines.

Savvy / Currie 3" lift kit with adjustable track bars and Savvy aluminum control arms. Currie aluminum front antirock. Rancho 5000x shocks.

Tom Wood's CV driveshafts and a SYE.

JKS 1 1/4" body lift kit.

Brown Dog MML

Novak cable transfer case shifter

UCF Lopro aluminum transfer case skid

Various aluminum armor bits like gas tank skid

Savvy front and rear aluminum bumpers

Warn M8000 with synthetic aftermarket winch line, under hood remote mounted solenoid

OK, start shooting holes in this. I will gladly accept and consider expert advice this time around.

I'd prefer selectable lockers vs. mechanical if for no other reason than better street manners, and take that advise with a grain of salt because I have no practical experience with lockers other than what I've read.
Oil pan skid please. Also, lower control arm skids, diff skids.

Reactions: StG58
Just make sure it's a Rubicon :emoji_thumbsup:

Think of all the work you'll save. Dana 44 axles, lockers, etc., and an awesome transfer case meant for rock crawling.
Where's that cheap theft recovery Rubi when you need it!? :meparto: I think I told you about that one didn't I?

Reactions: Chris
Where's that cheap theft recovery Rubi when you need it!? :meparto: I think I told you about that one didn't I?

You did indeed! You'll pay a premium for a TJ Rubicon up here in the PNW... Ask me how I know :D

Oh, believe me, I know! I did the math before I bought my SE, and it was actually cheaper to just pay the Rubi premium than build an X or a Sport to the same level. By several thousand dollars in fact. I went with the SE because I didn't want the complexity and the four angry squirrels work for what I do. ...and then here I am two years later second guessing myself. There's some interesting pictures and observations showing up in the Bummer thread, don't you think? Lots of people seem to thrash out some pretty stock Jeeps. Way more than I would have guessed. I'm trying to figure out how to get a thread started that would talk about off road driving. How to pick a line, how to use a spotter, winch use, that sort of thing. The practicle aspects of driving off road in serious conditions.

Reactions: Chris and JP98
I'm trying to figure out how to get a thread started that would talk about off road driving. How to pick a line, how to use a spotter, winch use, that sort of thing. The practicle aspects of driving off road in serious conditions.
X2 would love to see a good thread on this in the FAQ section. Think it would be great for the new TJ owners.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
If someone writes a good FAQ, I'm more than happy to put it in the FAQ section. Hell, the more information we have the better!

Whether or not people choose to read that information though, that's another story.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
Could be a bit tricky to write. Maybe break it down into 3 categories of terrain and wheeling style? Define what a spotter is and should you trust them, to pull cable or not, that kind of stuff.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Just for giggles, I have made a list...
Block one
H&R springs
Bilstein 5100 shocks
KO2 31x10.50R15 tires
(Done)

Block two
Black magic front brakes (full kit, stock)
Black magic rear brakes (full kit, stock)
YJ front brake hoses
ZJ Moog Front track bar
(On order or coming up after vacation)

Block three
UCF aluminum winch plate
Engo 9500s winch
Bestop sailcloth replace-a-top
(end of this year or first of next year)

Block four
Revolution 5.13 gears & install kit
Revolution chromoloy Dana 30 & Dana 35 axle shaft kits
Detroit locker (rear)
Powertrax no-slip (front)

Block five
Currie control arms, double adjustable kit CE-9100AS

Block six
M.O.R.E. 1" body lift BLTJ97
Brown Dog 1" MML and engine mounts KU2569-1H
Novac transfer case shifter SK2XC
Tom Wood XB drive shafts x2
Advance Adapters SYE

Block seven
UCF rocker guards
UCF tailgate hinges
UCF deep cover skid plate system, aluminum, UHC
UCF high clearance aluminum gas tank skid

So, it looks like it'll only take me 5 years to build my TJ to the point that I want. By then my current tires will be done, and it'll be time for 32x11.50R15 KO3's and 15x8" Rubicon Extreme wheels.

Last edited:
Five years ins't that bad in all honesty. That's a comfortable pace too!

You'll deserve a beer by that point!

Five years ins't that bad in all honesty. That's a comfortable pace too!

You'll deserve a beer by that point!
I'll deserve a serious TJ road trip, getting l...never mind, and a beer at that point!

I needed a coherent plan and a schedule. Here it is. If I can execute that plan (and I really think I can) I'll have one hell of an off road SE, and all of my B.S. will be proved out. The money part isn't looking horrible. It's going to depend on what-all I break or goes T-U in the meantime.

Yep, just make sure you don't blow your engine or go astray in the meantime. If nothing like that happens, I think you've got a good plan. That's what I started doing with mine. I stopped trying to do it so quickly and started spacing the mods out over longer periods of time. For one, it gives me more time to enjoy it, and for two, it gives me something to build up to and look forward too.

Yep, just make sure you don't blow your engine or go astray in the meantime. If nothing like that happens, I think you've got a good plan. That's what I started doing with mine. I stopped trying to do it so quickly and started spacing the mods out over longer periods of time. For one, it gives me more time to enjoy it, and for two, it gives me something to build up to and look forward too.

The little 2.5 is hella stout, so that's not a real issue. Plus, I don't abuse it horribly. It'll last five more years easily. The frustrating part is that I'd like to be driving that now, not five years form now.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
The frustrating part is that I'd like to be driving that now, not five years form now.

We can all relate to that, me especially. There's so many things (not just Jeep related) that I wish I could do now. We've got a host of things that need to be done around the house, and I just keep wishing I could do them all right now, when in reality they will take years to take care of.

I guess that's one problem with not being filthy rich, haha!

Did a little shopping online and it looks like this is going to be about $8,000 to complete. Add in the cost of the TJ SE and I'm looking at around having about a $15,000 - $16,000 TJ, not counting any maintenance that gets done in the meantime. I'd say that's not bad considering what a Rubicon goes for around here, and any mods / major repairs that it would need. Feeling lots better about this path right now. It's going to appear to be a basically stock low end TJ on the outside. I do like me some sleeper rigs.

Now, if my AX-5 doesn't cack up a hair ball in the next five years, I'm good to go!

$8,000 isn't that bad actually, that's pretty good. Keep your eye out for deals, and potentially used parts in the process. You never know when you might find a deal!

You forgot to add V8 swap to the list though!