Build your own 2.5 inch lift? Still uncertain as to what's needed

Megan's TJ

Supporting Member
Hey all! I have been a year long lurker and have finally joined the forum. I have a 2002 4 banger and I need advice with a small lift. I recently took my TJ out with some co-workers, see my very muddy profile picture, and had a blast off roading. I now have the urge to put a small lift on my TJ. Because I have the 4 banger, I do not want more than a 2 - 2.5 inch lift (I really do not want more than a true 2.5 inch lift I am about to put on new tires and plan on getting BF Goodrich KO2 in 31s and I do not want my tires to look awkwardly small). I have read that the a very popular lift kit is the OME. I have also read that a very popular shock is the RS5000X shocks (I currently run these with no lift and really like them). I would like to order the springs from OME and the Rancho RS5000X shocks. Although, I am open to other suggestions for springs. I have searched for a build your own lift on the forum, but I am still uncertain what all is needed for a lift. Lift kits are all new to me, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I want to know what else I need to buy for a lift besides the springs and shocks? I would appreciate any insight you guys have!

As an example, I love @MountaineerTom LJ that I found in a post. This is what lift I would ideally like to achieve.
IMG_2023.jpg

Hey all! I have been a year long lurker and have finally joined the forum. I have a 2002 4 banger and I need advice with a small lift. I recently took my TJ out with some co-workers, see my very muddy profile picture, and had a blast off roading. I now have the urge to put a small lift on my TJ. Because I have the 4 banger, I do not want more than a 2 - 2.5 inch lift (I really do not want more than a true 2.5 inch lift I am about to put on new tires and plan on getting BF Goodrich KO2 in 31s and I do not want my tires to look awkwardly small). I have read that the a very popular lift kit is the OME. I have also read that a very popular shock is the RS5000X shocks (I currently run these with no lift and really like them). I would like to order the springs from OME and the Rancho RS5000X shocks. Although, I am open to other suggestions for springs. I have searched for a build your own lift on the forum, but I am still uncertain what all is needed for a lift. Lift kits are all new to me, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I want to know what else I need to buy for a lift besides the springs and shocks? I would appreciate any insight you guys have!

As an example, I love @MountaineerTom LJ that I found in a post. This is what lift I would ideally like to achieve.
View attachment 123370

Thanks. Mine is an OME 2 inch kit with HD springs. I added an addition front coil spring isolator on top of the factory one to level it out. The aftermarket bumper, winch plate and winch had the front sitting significantly lower. With HD springs and the additional front isolator, it put me right at 2.5 inches of lift. I’m running 31” BFG KM2’s.

I got the ultimate kit from DPG Offroad that came with front and rear track bars, quick disconnect front sway bar links, longer rear sway bar links, a motor mount lift and a body lift. The motor mount lift and body lift aren’t installed though. DPG has many versions of kits available to suit your needs. I called and spoke to Dirk at DPG and he asked a lot of questions about my Jeep, what I wanted to do with it, future plans, etc and set me up with what I feel was a good lift.

I did replace the OME nitro shocks for Rancho RS5000x’s though For a smoother ride.

933 and 942 OME Springs (2.5”)
10mm OME coil spring spacers
Rancho 5000X Shocks
Front Adjustable Trackbar
Rear Trackbar Re-Location Bracket
Rubicon Express Rear Sway Bar Links
JKS Front Disconnects (not a requirement, but if you’re going to wheel it, you’ll want them)

I have a similar setup:
BDS 3" front/2" rear springs
Rancho 5000X shocks
Rubicon Express extended links f/r
Savvy 1.25" body lift
Brown dog mml, though I wish I had gone with factory mounts and spacers

This is plenty of uptravel for 33s, subtract the body lift and that's perfect for 31s/32s

Brown dog mml, though I wish I had gone with factory mounts and spacers

Why is that? Just curious, I got the Brown Dog MML with rubber bushings with my kit In case I wanted to install it in the future.

A TJ with 31s and a 2/2.5” lift is a very capable machine, and very easy to build. Here’s mine last year on 31s with a 2” lift.
7C5847E6-D7F6-4AFF-81DC-C2B05594E8AB.jpeg

I used to worry about awkwardly small looking tires too, but that perspective changes when you start to learn about suspension (especially up) travel.

The only, and literally ONLY mods at the time of this picture were 2” Pro Comp springs and shocks, a 2” rear track bar relocation bracket, and 31s on the stock 15x8 Ravine wheels. It took me anywhere that I wanted to go with zero issues. You’ll find many members here run this very same setup.

Good luck in your decision!

Thank you guys for all of the replies! I have a much better understanding of what I need.

A TJ with 31s and a 2/2.5” lift is a very capable machine, and very easy to build. Here’s mine last year on 31s with a 2” lift.
View attachment 123383
I used to worry about awkwardly small looking tires too, but that perspective changes when you start to learn about suspension (especially up) travel.

The only, and literally ONLY mods at the time of this picture were 2” Pro Comp springs and shocks, a 2” rear track bar relocation bracket, and 31s on the stock 15x8 Ravine wheels. It took me anywhere that I wanted to go with zero issues. You’ll find many members here run this very same setup.

Good luck in your decision!

I really like the looks of that. Thanks for the reply! I was extremely impressed with what my jeep could do after taking it out this weekend bone stock except for 31s, so I bet this did great.

For a real cheap date all you really need is some coil spacers. 2" are common. And longer bump stops. Rancho shocks tend to run long so the ones you have will probably be fine. New track bars are not really needed at that lift height either.
I got mine (06 6 speed Rubicon) with OME light springs, which I would recommend to you if you buy springs because you want to keep it light. And then you can slowly upgrade parts when they need replacement. Stock arms are fine. Stock steering is fine. Stock brakes are fine. When you need a new tie rod go to a ZJ steering. When the trackbar wears out you can think about an adjustable, but you only need around 3/8" longer so if you are ok with stock it's easy. And the stock trackbar are plenty beefy for almost any type of offroading. I've had several 4 and 6 cyl Jeeps through the years. And if you decide you want more than what a spacer lift can do I would suggest getting a 6 cyl to spend money on.
4 cyl are marginal at stock gearing. Add some bigger tires and you really want to re-gear the axles. With a 6 cyl you can get away with a whole lot more. And if/when you want to upgrade you will know just what you want out of a Jeep.👍
Sorry so long, and just my opinion with having driven both engines. I had a 4 cyl CJ as my daily driver for a couple years. Once I put some larger tires on I found the loss of power to much🤬 (for me.) And went back to stock rubber on it and built a 6 cyl for adventure and fun.

Reactions: Megan's TJ
@rasband posted a pretty good parts list for me in my build thread.

"Note, this isn't a definitive list nor 100% all the things you should buy - but everything I recall installing for the lift...

Here's the list of things I bought and netted >2" of lift (most guys do with the OME springs). I went with the HD since I have a winch, after market bumpers, larger spare tire, and carry tools on the trail. Generally you won't likely notice a ride difference of HD vs standard rate springs, but it can help support more if you carry more (or tow).

And as follow up items, you may need:
  • Front Swaybar links - I went to an Antirock, so can't recommend any
  • Rear Swaybar Links (check your geometry before buying, they may not be required) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2JTJRV/?tag=wranglerorg-20
  • Added bump stops - this you have to cycle your suspension to know
  • Spacers to level the rig - I have 0.75" ones that I haven't installed yet"

Why is that? Just curious, I got the Brown Dog MML with rubber bushings with my kit In case I wanted to install it in the future.
I got the Brown dog ultra flex rubber but I still have significantly increased vibes at idle.

One issue that is common is the engine mount bracket contacting the frame on the passenger side but I clearanced mine and still have significant vibes that I did not have before, all other factors left unchanged.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I got the Brown dog ultra flex rubber but I still have significantly increased vibes at idle.

One issue that is common is the engine mount bracket contacting the frame on the passenger side but I clearanced mine and still have significant vibes that I did not have before, all other factors left unchanged.

Good to know, thanks for the info. : )

@rasband posted a pretty good parts list for me in my build thread.

"Note, this isn't a definitive list nor 100% all the things you should buy - but everything I recall installing for the lift...

Here's the list of things I bought and netted >2" of lift (most guys do with the OME springs). I went with the HD since I have a winch, after market bumpers, larger spare tire, and carry tools on the trail. Generally you won't likely notice a ride difference of HD vs standard rate springs, but it can help support more if you carry more (or tow).
And as follow up items, you may need:
  • Front Swaybar links - I went to an Antirock, so can't recommend any
  • Rear Swaybar Links (check your geometry before buying, they may not be required) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2JTJRV/?tag=wranglerorg-20
  • Added bump stops - this you have to cycle your suspension to know
  • Spacers to level the rig - I have 0.75" ones that I haven't installed yet"
I like the stuff you put up, one dumb question, are control arms the same as sway bar links

I like the stuff you put up, one dumb question, are control arms the same as sway bar links
No. Control arms locate the axles. There are upper and lower controls arms near each wheel. So 8 total.

Sway bar links connect the front and rear sway bars to the chassis. There are a total of 4 of those.

Reactions: D M
No. Control arms locate the axles. There are upper and lower controls arms near each wheel. So 8 total.

Sway bar links connect the front and rear sway bars to the chassis. There are a total of 4 of those.
Would I need control arms for a 2 inch lift, Im planning on doing a custom 2 inch with OME heavy duty 2" springs, rancho rs5000x, and a rear adjustable track bar, let me know what else i should need

Stock control arms are fine for a 2" lift.👍 Adjustable uppers can be used if a vibe issue comes up, but at 2" it shouldn't. 🍻

Reactions: D M
Stock control arms are fine for a 2" lift.👍 Adjustable uppers can be used if a vibe issue comes up, but at 2" it shouldn't. 🍻
would I need a front adjustable track bar or anything like that, I have front sway bar disconnects but I dont know what brand (i dont know if that helps)