Building a 10,000 RPM Jeep 4.0

I neither need nor want low end grunt. The transfer case gearing and axle gears can handle all of that quite well. What I need is something with enough mid range grunt to stay up with traffic on other than flat ground, enough RPM to drop a gear or two and run at higher RPM to get up hills when needed, and a tolerable amount of grunt at other than the low end to cruise at 70-75 MPH in OD at 25-2600 rpm and not downshift when it encounters a 1% grade.

Something like the Atlas 4.2 would be perfect.

perfectly said.

Even in JV, we've run with lots of folks who are not geared correctly, still run the 231 but the auto trans torque converter takes care of the rest. Where neither of those work very well is at highway speed. God forbid you want to run up to Big Bear with stock gears and 35's.

Yup just finished up my Christmas tree mountain run and the WORST part was trying to get to 60 mph uphill.

perfectly said.

Not that it helps at all but my machinist seems to be caught in an endless cycle of breaking and wearing out a machine just about 10 minutes before he gets caught up enough to work on any of my side projects. That puts him in a perpetual cycle of scrambling to fix a machine which then puts him behind again. Absolutely maddening.

Not that it helps at all but my machinist seems to be caught in an endless cycle of breaking and wearing out a machine just about 10 minutes before he gets caught up enough to work on any of my side projects. That puts him in a perpetual cycle of scrambling to fix a machine which then puts him behind again. Absolutely maddening.
Hey at least it's still on his radar. A proper OD might be just about as good as a 10,000 RPM 4.0. Might sip fuel a little better too.

Offroading, torque isn't why we gear down, it's to get a wheel speed that agrees with a vehicle speed desired for controllability and grip (aka really effing slow). If you're geared for that to begin with, the torque takes care of itself.

I want more power every time I hit the interstate. I've never been in 4 low and wanted for torque.

Yes - 4 low has plenty of torque, its what gearing will get you. High range, not so much, although its still vastly better than many. We had an '05 Toyota Matrix. Its lack of low end made it darn near undriveable!

Yup just finished up my Christmas tree mountain run and the WORST part was trying to get to 60 mph uphill.

Folks expectations certainly differ. I don't know what your hill was, but in general I expect to slow down going up long and/or steep grades. And I'm OK with that.

Folks expectations certainly differ. I don't know what your hill was, but in general I expect to slow down going up long and/or steep grades. And I'm OK with that.

I'm not okay with it since the TJ in most any iteration is the only vehicle I have that does that unless I'm near fully loaded with the tow rig and then only on the steep grades. It is okay to accept it until you drive one that doesn't do it and then it starts to matter.

I'm not okay with it since the TJ in most any iteration is the only vehicle I have that does that unless I'm near fully loaded with the tow rig and then only on the steep grades. It is okay to accept it until you drive one that doesn't do it and then it starts to matter.
Like I say, priorities differ. Americans are obsessed with horsepower. I've said for many years that anything over about 100 HP is a waste in a passenger car, and 150 to 200 is plenty for most trucks. Hell, my old 240D was 68 HP in a 3400 lb car - and the 220D I learned to drive on was the same chassis but with a bit less HP, 62 or so I think. They were fine - you had to know how to drive them, but they'd cruise at freeway speeds all day long EXCEPT uphill. Big deal.

The TJ engine is probably the most powerful engine I've ever owned. As I'm in Florida, I have zero idea how well it does on hills. It has "ok" low end - I could always wish for more, but its not bad. Best of all, its dead nuts reliable - which is HUGE in my world.

• Sad
Reactions: DEValken
Like I say, priorities differ. Americans are obsessed with horsepower. I've said for many years that anything over about 100 HP is a waste in a passenger car, and 150 to 200 is plenty for most trucks. Hell, my old 240D was 68 HP in a 3400 lb car - and the 220D I learned to drive on was the same chassis but with a bit less HP, 62 or so I think. They were fine - you had to know how to drive them, but they'd cruise at freeway speeds all day long EXCEPT uphill. Big deal.

The TJ engine is probably the most powerful engine I've ever owned. As I'm in Florida, I have zero idea how well it does on hills. It has "ok" low end - I could always wish for more, but its not bad. Best of all, its dead nuts reliable - which is HUGE in my world.

You leaned how to drive stuff that make snails look fast and yet you bitch about other stuff that works even better. Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and 707kevin

You realize that you don't drive in a vacuum, right? Have to be able to keep with other normal vehicles on the road. I am not talkin about Raptors and TRXs and sports cars with high HP engines, but your regular bog standard passenger cars and SUVs. Go drive a flatfender CJ with the 70 hp I-4 engine on the hwy today and tell us if you enjoy it with today's traffic and speeds. You will not, even in Florida.

You realize that you don't drive in a vacuum, right? Have to be able to keep with other normal vehicles on the road. I am not talkin about Raptors and TRXs and sports cars with high HP engines, but your regular bog standard passenger cars and SUVs. Go drive a flatfender CJ with the 70 hp I-4 engine on the hwy today and tell us if you enjoy it with today's traffic and speeds. You will not, even in Florida.
There are still PLENTY of slower vehicles on the road - they're called "Semis", and they do indeed slow down on hills! 70 HP is enough power *IF* the gearing will let it roll along at 65 or so - which I suspect your CJ would not. High School bud had a '48 \Willy's truck that topped out at 45, even with overdrive (and a transplanted Chevy 6) - too slow for the freeway for sure, but tell that to the owners of those horrid VW microbuses! The old 240D would do 80 all day long with its 68 HP - not that I drove it that fast. But again, I consider 100-ish to be the sweet spot. Even 90 can work well.

• Face Palm
  • Dislike
Reactions: SvtLdr and psrivats
The TJ engine is probably the most powerful engine I've ever owned.

CZiGBB8VIAA-SL9?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Saying Americans are obsessed with HP seems a bit biased when you also claim that 68HP was fine for you and that anything over 100 HP is a waste. You're speaking very generally through the lens of your own limited needs and experiences as if that is or should be the standard.

I too drove a vehicle with about 70HP vehicle (from 2014-2019) and it was "fine" most of the time but there were risks. For one, I had little ability to get out of trouble if it required me to go faster in any reasonable manner. This type of situation happens more than one would hope when in traffic. For example, needing to brake and swerve out of the way of an object that had entered my path was no problem until I then needed to quickly accelerate in order to not be tagged from behind.

My car also didn't have power steering which was fine, but not ideal for everyone. It wouldn't make sense to hate on folks wanting PS just because I didn't need it in my limited application. Also, the A/C was underpowered compared to a standard reasonable folks are accustomed to, and that was fine until it wasn't. I didn't label others as being obsessed with wanting cooler AC while then claiming that any system with more than 40% cooling capacity than mine had is a waste.

Besides, it's not as if folks in here are getting 300HP+ with zero practical limitations (but have boundless expectations).

WTH happened to all the video links in this thread? Or is my computer just having a motherboard fart? I wanted to hear a 4.0 at 10,000rpm

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
WTH happened to all the video links in this thread? Or is my computer just having a motherboard fart? I wanted to hear a 4.0 at 10,000rpm

still working on my PC desktop and you DO need to hear it:)

Reactions: JMT