Building a bar when you don't know what you're doing

ParadoxD

Beep, Beep...
Supporting Member
I've never done a "build" thread despite being an endless tinkerer and stubbornly DIY-minded individual (often to my wife's dismay), so I figured this might be fun to post up. It's not a Jeep, but hopefully someone can get some entertainment from it.

Part I​

First, some background. Some years ago my wife's co-worker said her husband was cleaning out his storage unit full of equipment from his failed restaurant. Within was a commercial cooler that he offered to sell me for $500. Being the "occasional" (ahem) drinker that I am, I figured I could put it to good use. This, my friends, was the start of my epic journey into the world of building my own bar while knowing precisely squat about how to do so.

0813211304_HDR.jpg

Being as my house was too small to stick this beast in, and the fact that we spend most of our time outside on the patio by the pool (because it's Florida and you either stay the fuck inside in the A/C or maintain a distance of no more than 50' from a body of water at all times), I decided it'd be a good idea to stick it out on the patio and build a bar around it. It doesn't look very complicated, this should be easy!

I bought some pressure-treated 2x6", framed it out, and covered the outside in 1/2" birch veneered plywood. Sweet! And then, as is what often happens, I got distracted by other projects. And there it sat for a while.

Fast forward to the end of last year, and my wife stumbles upon another gem (god I love that woman). A four tap, double tower commercial kegerator on Facebook marketplace for $250. I was already hauling that thing off before the next person could even inquire about it. I cleaned it up, replaced all the lines, picked up new regulators and a 20lb tank of CO2. Hell yeah! Needless to say, that kinda lit a fire under my ass to finish building the bar. Well, that and the wife bitching at me for having a bunch of equipment and tools strewn about the patio and a half-assed skeleton of a bar to put it behind...

0813211302.jpg

Naturally, sitting outside untreated and having dogs go in and out of the pool shaking all over it for months, it had developed mold and discoloration on the birch veener, so pretty much the whole thing needed to be sanded. Then there's also the fact that I now owned more equipment than I did when I initially framed it out, so of course it wasn't all going to fit behind it and I had to extend the bar out. Great. Nothing I love more than doing a job twice. And sanding. Fuck sanding.

Last edited:

Part II​

So after some more blood, sweat, and tears I finally reconfigure the bar base. I leave it in three separate pieces so I can easily move them around to do my initial staining and sealing. (You'll have to pardon the absolute mess in the background of most of these pics going forward). It takes me several days between all the coats because it has to dry, I'm outside, and it's as humid as Satan's ballsack.

0805202217.jpg

But, it turns out pretty well. So I put them all together and start building the subtop for the bar out of 3/4" MDF. Nice and sturdy! I figure with a bunch of drunks banging their fists on the bar it'll have to be up to some abuse. I attach some 1x6" poplar to the inside which will serve as the glass rail and pocket screw everything together. I've learned from previous adventures that those things are freaking awesome so I use them every chance I get. Plus, they'll end up hidden beneath the bar top.

0810202009.jpg

0810202109.jpg

Nice, things are finally starting to take shape! From there I glue down some 1x10" poplar for the bar top. The outside goes down great, and I manage not to fuck up the miters somehow. I'm not as lucky with the inside. I spend days pissing and moaning and cursing at myself every time I screw it up... again and again. Turns out my PoS Craftsman miter saw doesn't cut straight so I'll have to do the cuts by hand with a circular saw. I'm sure that'll be fun.

0814201716.jpg

0822202232.jpg

It fucking wasn't. I screw it up several times, run short on wood and have to go buy more. But eventually, I get it done and it looks halfway decent. Then, more staining. I ruin several shirts because I'm too stubborn to wear "work" clothes and think I can do it without getting it all over myself. My wife yells at me. I acknowledge she's right, and proceed to ruin more clothes the next day because I'm going to be more careful this time. Yeah.

Last edited:

Part III​

Next I cut up some 1x2" poplar to go around the outside and cover up the seam between the top and subtop. I had considered getting all fancy and buying the bar rail for your elbows and radiusing the corner but then I realize I'm not fancy. I go the easy route and have a blast with the brad nailer until it breaks on me. I have to buy another brad nailer.

0830201804_HDR.jpg

So I do, and I manage to get everything pinned up including the base. It's starting to look like a real bar!

0831202119.jpg

0901202213.jpg

More stain. More ruined clothes. The wife just rolls her eyes this time.

0909202202.jpg

Last edited:

Part IV​

At this point, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. I'm anything but a carpenter, but I've managed to build something that resembles a bar. All I gotta do now is pour some epoxy over it now, right?! Of course not, nothing can be that easy.

I don't have any pictures of it, but as the days passed and I let the stain dry completely, the heat and humidity causes the glue to loosen up and the boards on top are no longer flat next to each other. I have a big ridge right down the middle of the bar where the boards meet and the outside boards are an 1/8" higher than the inside ones in some places. I curse, I drink myself into a stupor, and go to bed.

This goes on for weeks as I wait for cooler, less humid days hoping it'll sit back down and I can epoxy over it real fast (hah). It gets better from time to time, but nowhere near perfect. I use a planer in an attempt to make it flat. It works! Until the next day when the boards shift again and I'm back to square one. I curse, I drink myself into a stupor, and go to bed.

At some point, a light bulb goes off.

200.gif

The hell with this I say, I'll just route a channel down the middle and put something cool in it. Then it won't matter if the boards aren't perfectly flat on each side because you won't be able to tell. Sounds like a plan!

0912202010.jpg

Of course, if I had thought of this beforehand, I could have just gapped the boards from the start and saved myself this entire step. Anyway, I proceed with routing out a channel. Initially I have this planned out to be a couple inches wide. But I hit a knot which makes the router bounce. Ok, I'll make it a little wider I guess! Repeat that a few times and this is what you get in the end:

1101201327_HDR.jpg

Yeah, that's a lot fucking wider than a couple inches. Oh well, I better come up with something extra cool to fill up all that space then! I'll think on it. In the meantime, let's upgrade that puny little TV hanging there. Ain't nobody wanna watch football on that thing!

1107201807.jpg

Much better ;) I mull over several thoughts on what to do with the channel in the middle. Rocks? Glass? Gold coins and bones? I did mention I have a fascination with pirates in another thread. The wife vetoes that last idea. And I'm not particularly fond of the rocks or glass - it's been done before and done a lot. Hmmm... I got it! How about copper pipe!?! That's pretty original, and we can have something a little steampunk-ish going on. I like it!

I spread some silicone along the channel to seal it and use a putty knife to give it some texture. Tape everything off and spray it with some oil-rubbed bronze color.

1114201744.jpg

Then I lay out the copper pipe, and fasten it down with some ridiculously expensive hand-made brass pipe clamps that came all the way from across the pond, just because they are WAY cooler than your run of the mill clamps and hey, this is the centerpiece of the bar!

1122201606_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Part V​

So now we're finally ready to pour the epoxy. This should be easy - throw down some plastic sheeting, mix it up, and just pour it all over the top. You'd think by this point I'd know better. But I don't. I apparently have a very short-term memory when it comes to past tribulations.

I didn't photograph the process unfortunately, but the short of it is that overall the epoxy went on fairly stress-free. I had to keep a close eye out for bubbles and pop them with the blowtorch for a good while after pouring it, but otherwise it just flowed out real nice and smooth. But wait, there's more to it than that of course...

First, they say you can just let it run over the sides to get the edges. I do that, and it does work to a degree, but despite this stuff being pretty liquid like, it's also rather viscous and has to be "helped" in spots as well as pushed around with a putty knife or a gloved hand to get adequate coverage. So I do this, it creates an absolute mess on the floor (luckily all on the plastic sheeting), wastes a good portion of the epoxy, and I end up stepping in puddles of epoxy while trying to jump around smoothing things out and popping bubbles.

Ruin a pair of shoes. Get yelled at by the wife for it. Acknowledge she's right. But hey, now I have a pair of "work shoes"!

After I do what I think is the final flood coat, I realize that because I had to have those fancy brass clamps, and they're much thicker than I had assumed, the flood coat doesn't cover them and they are poking out of the top. Great, and I'm all out of epoxy now.

I order more epoxy and do the whole process again. Guess what? Yep, still not enough.

200.gif

So I order more epoxy and do this again. But, I already have enough of it in the glass rail and on the edges, and I don't want to waste any more epoxy this time by effectively pouring half of it on the ground. So I create a dam with painters tape around the top, and pour more epoxy. Despite my apprehension that it'll inevitably leak through, I catch a break and it actually works as intended.

0710212305.jpg

Beautiful! Doneski. Finito. End thread.

Right? RIGHT?? No.

Being the OCD person that I am, I try to make things perfect, even when it's an imperfect job to begin with. Which this is. Any sane person would call it quits and say that's good enough. But this is me we're talking about, and I'm apparently not happy unless I'm miserable. You see, the epoxy, due to the dam I created when pouring it, has a somewhat sharp edge to it not to mention it's not exactly straight. After all, this is tape we're talking about, not steel.

Alright I think to myself, no problem. I've got a nice curved router bit I can use to clean the edges right up. Do you know what happens when you route epoxy? I didn't.

0726212018.jpg

Yeah, it makes snow. Tons and tons of little white plasticky statically-charged flakes that end up EVERYWHERE. What a fuckin' mess.

The wife hears me say "OH MY GOD" so she comes to investigate. She says nothing. She rolls her eyes and goes back inside.

At any rate, this does work and cleans up the edges, but I spend three hours cleaning up the mess a 20 minute job created. Did I mention it was fucking everywhere? Yeah, fun times.

0726212216.jpg

So I start sanding the edges smooth, leave some scuffs in the epoxy where I'm NOT sanding ($#@!) and subsequently decide I might as well sand the whole bar top. Besides, doing this whole process outside meant I had little bugs and husky glitter (dog hair) in the surface.

0730212038.jpg

I sure as hell am not doing it by hand, so I bust out the orbital sander and wet sand with 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit pads. I'm drenched in sweat and I've managed to create yet another mess I have to clean up afterward. But at least it's not epoxy snow.

I've managed to get it nice and smooth, but it's still cloudy and I want that glassy look, so I'll have to do some more sanding and polishing (my favorite thing). I'll get it there eventually though, even if it kills me. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be posting a finished product post.

Last edited:
Looks sweet!

I hear ya on the sanding and polishing. It's just like wet sanding a vehicle. It takes a lot of time, and you need to go over it a few times before you get it where you like.

Reactions: ParadoxD
We were at Home Depot looking at some countertops for our bar when I saw this
9AD7BAAF-73D5-4665-AB5C-E95299DEB4F2.jpeg
6 ft work table. I love
6E02A08C-9EB4-4B49-B8A6-A2C356467A93.jpeg
it and thought it would make a great bar and showed it to my husband. He loved it too and walaa! This is our bar/ work table. And it has coaster wheels that lock so we can move it.

It’s turned out sooooo awesome. Very unique and cool. Thanks for taking us on the journey and you should do a regular blog, I was laughing my ass off!
Haha, thanks bud. Glad you enjoyed the story. It's been a battle doing this in what little free time I have, but that just means I'll enjoy it that much more when it's done. It also helps when you can laugh at yourself, ya know?
Looks sweet!

I hear ya on the sanding and polishing. It's just like wet sanding a vehicle. It takes a lot of time, and you need to go over it a few times before you get it where you like.
Thanks! Any tips for me by chance? After the 2000 grit I used some McGuire's professional automotive cutting and polishing compounds I happened to have, which helped but didn't get it all the way there. They are pretty old though, so I don't know if they lose their effectiveness over time. I also heard someone say that an orbital buffer won't work and I need a normal rotary, but I don't know how true that is.
That looks awesome!👍🏻
Thanks!! It's close!

Reactions: Rick Flair
A rotary buffer definitely cuts and polishes faster/better than a orbital imo.

Making sure you're using the right pads helps tremendously. I usually use a wool pad to do the initial pass with a heavy cutting compound, and switch to foam pads for the lighter compounds and final polish.

A rotary buffer definitely cuts and polishes faster/better than a orbital imo.

Making sure you're using the right pads helps tremendously. I usually use a wool pad to do the initial pass with a heavy cutting compound, and switch to foam pads for the lighter compounds and final polish.
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to pick one up then!

That looks awesome! Something to be proud of!

I absolutely despise using epoxy. I built a live edge cedar table just over a year ago and did an epoxy finish. it took 5 different pours to finally get the finish right. I spent about 60 hours sanding that shit. Did I mention that I fucking hate working with epoxy?

That looks awesome! Something to be proud of!

I absolutely despise using epoxy. I built a live edge cedar table just over a year ago and did an epoxy finish. it took 5 different pours to finally get the finish right. I spent about 60 hours sanding that shit. Did I mention that I fucking hate working with epoxy?
Thank you! Geez don't tell me that's what I have to look forward to. 60 hours is a bit much.