Vasq

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I live in Washington (the wet side) and for the first 9 years of owning it I didn't have a garage, so I installed everything in the rain! I wanted to start sharing the life and story of my 2001 Sport (@SiennatheSpaceship). It is Sienna Pearl, and I bought it in 2008 with only 86k on it. I'm the second owner and it's 230k+ and growing. It's my favorite, the Jeep is my single greatest hobby. Wheeling is fun, but that's just something I do with the Jeep, keeping it preserved is just as important.

Instead of droning on about things that use to be on it I'll just bring everyone up to speed ~
I will be keeping this first post updated with the major items as I add/modify things.

- Dana 30/44 axles with 3.73 gears (stock)
- Metalcloak control arms
- Metalcloak track bars (f/r)
- Savvy 3" springs
- OME 10mm spacer (front)
- Bilstein 5100 (front) + Rancho RS5000X (rear)
- JB Conversions Super Short SYE + Wide Chain Kit + 6 Pinion Planetary Gear
- Novak Cable Shifter
- M.O.R.E. 1" MML
- Rokmen 1" BL
- UCF Ultra High Clearance Skid (aluminum)
- Mopar Rock Crawler Bumper + Warn XD9000i, Synthetic Line, Factor 55 Flat Link E
- LoD Signiture Series Rear Bumper
- Savvy Sliders
- TeraFlex Hand Throttle
- 33x10.5R15 BF Goodrich KO2
- Walker Evans Racing 501 Legend II, Bronze
- Magnaflow 3rd Catalytic + Thrush Hush Muffler + Tailpipe by yours truly
-
Late model GTS tucked 1"

Cheers 🍻

Upcoming Installs:
- UCF aluminum skid (engine)
-

Last edited:
A couple other (older) photos I like the best. These are both with a Rancho 2.5" lift. And yes, I was young once, and may or may not have gone through an "angry eyes" phase.

DSC_0409.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice rig BTW, looks like you use it.

Thank you. I use to get out a lot more but had to be gentle on it and eventually find a new DD. Years passed and now I have a garage and funds to do what I should've done long ago. I took last week off and spent every day installing years worth of parts that I've been hoarding. I'm waiting on a few more things to come in the mail but very eager to get it all dialed in and get out much more often!

Last edited:
Thank you. I use to get out a lot more but had to be gentle on it and eventually find a new DD due to improper set up. Years passed and now i have a garage and funds to do what i should've done long ago. I took last week off and spend every day installing years worth of parts that I've been hoarding. I'm waiting on a few more things to come in the mail but very eager to get it all dialed in and get out much more often!
Well this Forum is a great resource for you then, make sure you post pics through your thread.

Currently my hand throttle hits my dash in 1st/3rd/5th. My thoughts are that the extra 1/2" of BL and 1" MML will help eliminate this issue, but I've been looking at short throw shifter's (B&M) and reading opinions on them.
Also considering just pulling it and heating it with a torch and giving it a little more bend.
~ Update: Replaced the 1/2" BL with a 1" one (both Rokmen) and the hand throttle still hits but the shifter just clears, so i can rotate the lever a little and not have interference but I think bending the shifter is still in order since it just barely clears.
——-
On another front; thinking shock The Bilstein's are OK to drive down the street with but I'll need new ones to utilize my new suspension. I heard good things about the Rancho RS5000x. Wondering how it would ride with those in the front, and the RS9000xl in the rear for when the jeep is loaded up or towing a mini trailer.
~Update: After consulting people on the forum, I've decided to follow their advice and just get RS5000X's all the way around. If weight in the back ever become's an issue I will look into spring helpers for the rear. Thanks guys (y)

Last edited:
Cant speak for the rear with ranchos but the front will be a hell of a lot nicer with them vs the ranchos. The ranchos can be a bit mushy though. The bilsteins are better suited for a much heavier vehicle, like a 3/4 ton pickup

Reactions: Vasq
Finally some pictures from last weeks work.

IMG_5070.jpg
IMG_5090.jpg

590442911.jpg

- - -
About the back. I went with MetalCloak because i had head many great things. My only gripes i had were: the rear trac bar bracket was not lined up at all, in regards to its relation with the factor bracket on the axle. I believe its suppose to be angled in relation to the frame mount because the axle is being tilted "up" ~ however, it was not fitted to the axle bracket, seemed like the welds warped slightly away from square, but it did go on.
My other gripe is the rear track bar on the fixed end. It DID NOT want to go into its own bracket. I got it in with some lube and a hammer, but it was too much of a fight. MetalCloak didn't answer when I called, but no biggie I'll try tomorrow more diligently. The frame side heim joint fit like a glove.

590726833.jpg

Last edited:
1" BL went in without issue. The 1" MML was tricky, but still not very problematic. Torqued the upper bolt to 40 in lb, the lower stud nut to 30 in lb. My mounts didn't come with washers so i just tightened the thru bolt until the rubber started to compress, then backed it off.

IMG_5123.jpg IMG_5127.jpg

After everything was installed, I started going over the Jeep. I'm almost wondering if I could get away with my 1/2" BL again, or maybe chuck up the 1" pucks and turn 0.25 off of them. I have a lot more space than I thought I would between the tub and the top of that transmission. Hmmm..

Last edited:
Not a big update, installed the last of my MetalCloak lift - the sway bar (storage?) brackets. After I went to a car show I got all pumped but they were the only parts I had to install, since I'm still waiting on JB Conversions to send me the correct yoke for my SSSYE.

IMG_5150.jpg IMG_5151.jpg

Last edited:
Well I want to change the rear output shaft seal on my NV3550 (manual 5 speed) transmission today. I ordered the new seal, it appears the same as the one i can see from the back of the transmission. I cannot seem to find any posts/videos showing how to remove the old seal without damaging anything. Since I've never done this before I'm not sure whats immediately behind the seal so i don't want to get rough with anything.
Here's what I'm looking at:

IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5115.jpg
——
Update: I did it!
What I ended up doing was drilling a 3/16 hole thru the outer raised part of the seal, inserting the short side of an allen wrench through the hole, then using my custom slide hammer and essentially pulling the seal out of the housing. There is a solid part of the transmission housing right behind the raised outer part of the seal (lucky me) so there actually wasn't any risk to damaging the inner seal. Here are a few pictures of the process, I'm not very good at write up's :p

IMG_5163.jpg IMG_5165.jpg IMG_5168.jpg
IMG_5167.jpg

Filled with Redline MTL 75W80. (Heard that's what works best)

~Cheers!

Last edited:
Desperately refreshing my email almost hourly for an update on my yoke :unsure:
My MetalCloak crows feet arrived, so that's good. Looking at shocks again.. still on the rancho's but feeling lazy and contemplating ordering ones with matching min/max lengths to that of the "rocksports" that are meant for the kit I have.

Update: I was lazy.. Rancho's were ordered.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Nice build!

I also remember building my rig in the rain, it sucked at the time but looking back it was worth it, then I got a garage and what a difference that made, only problem it that I’d work on the jeep till 1:30 AM then get up for work at 4:50 lol

So where do ya wheel up north? I used to go to Reiter and LOVED it before they changed it. I haven’t been there since but have heard good things about it now. I’ve also been up to Walker Valley, that place is fun and has some good trails, especially when wet.

Down my direction we usually hit Elbe, and Evans creek for local day trips. Then head east of the mountains for weekend trips

Nice build!

I also remember building my rig in the rain, it sucked at the time but looking back it was worth it, then I got a garage and what a difference that made, only problem it that I’d work on the jeep till 1:30 AM then get up for work at 4:50 lol

So where do ya wheel up north? I used to go to Reiter and LOVED it before they changed it. I haven’t been there since but have heard good things about it now. I’ve also been up to Walker Valley, that place is fun and has some good trails, especially when wet.

Down my direction we usually hit Elbe, and Evans creek for local day trips. Then head east of the mountains for weekend trips
Thank you! yes, I think having to do everything without a garage was probably good, for a while. And I was definitely late to work (5 am alarm) several times those first 6 months haha. I haven't actually been in a long time. The miles where starting to show on the jeep but I couldn't risk anything going wrong for several years because I was desperately scraping my pennies in order to get into a house. I've been to Reiter many moons ago and thought it was great but I haven't been since it was closed either. I'm glad to hear good things about it now. I've ran Tahuya a couple times, and Walker Valley once but thought it was great. I've been meaning to do Evans Creek and the moon/funny rock area. My buddy has property and a yurt down in Morton, which I believe is fairly close to those places (might be thinking of Naches?).

Last edited:
Tahuya’s ok, been there a few times, Morton is pretty close to Elbe, that place is fun, and has a good amount of stuff, funny/moon rocks or anything around Naches/manastash is pretty cool. Ya can easily spend a long weekend there and not run the same stuff. Also Liberty is a good time, steep climbs that get real fun when wet. Rim rock is also a blast. We used to go to Evans a lot, especially in the winter but now it’s closed in the winter which sucks, but still super close to me.

Let me know when your heading anywhere and I’ll tag along. I usually have my son with me(he gets mad when he doesn’t get to come). Wheelin isn’t my wife’s thing so she don’t come that often so it’s usually just him and I.

I've been to Reiter many moons ago and thought it was great but I haven't been since it was closed either. Im glad to hear good things about it now.

I find Reiter to be a pretty good time. They have opened quite a few new trails. It is pretty easy to run out there, get some therapy time, and head home without too much fuss.

Reactions: Vasq