If you decide to do the bearings, @Vasq, I have the 20-ton press available. I did mine, and it worked just peachy. ;)

*Also, it seems to me that some amount of in/out movement is allowable. It's when it's up and down that it becomes a problem. Wish I could remember where on here I read it, or at least who it was that said it, but alas, I cannot. :(
Ok that makes more sense. I was thinking about it and started wondering since its such a small amount if it would be eliminated during heat expansion. I've got no movement up and down.
Good to know about your press though, thanks brother :cool:

Well today was a big reassembly day. Got my bump stop towers in, and like others have probably run into, the evap/fuel lines aren't bent for the new location. I ended up making a bracket to hold them out of the way where they seemed to want to float. Lowes only had cap screws in the size I needed so if it doesn't interfere, great. If it does I'll get a button head. The bracket has a rivnut installed on it so I don't have to mess with anything on the top.

IMG_8118.jpgIMG_8120.jpgIMG_8121.jpg

I also finished getting my gas tank reinstalled

IMG_8123.jpgIMG_8122.jpg

Was also planning on getting the 44 reassembled but I just realized that the brake hardware kit wasn't as complete as I would have liked so I ordered another one. Also found out that one of the brake cylinders is NOT like the others (thanks rock auto) even though the box has the same part number as the correct one that matches the one's that came off of the axle, which reminds me I still need to order another one...

In the back of my mind I'm considering selling my rear LoD bumper, but I'll probably wait until I've got all this wrapped up to figure that out. Its just so unattractive now that everything is so clean an shiny haha!

Last edited:
Nice work and that really looks great . Look forward to seeing it all back together and you being back on the trails. It's really coming along nicely.

Reactions: kiwi and Vasq
Nice work and that really looks great . Look forward to seeing it all back together and you being back on the trails. It's really coming along nicely.
Thanks! I'm really happy with how everything is coming as well.
I think my plan for tomorrow will be to put the diff cover back on and load it up with oil, then I might hook the arms up and start cycling. I think if I bolt the wheels on over the drums it should be fine even if there's no brakes inside. I can get my bump stops sorted out, get my shock limits, and check clearances while I wait for a few odds 'n ends to show up.

Reactions: Wildman
I know I've seen comments about it but must have missed when you decided not to use the extended range tank? Was it a weight issue or something else that made you decide not to go that route?

I know I've seen comments about it but must have missed when you decided not to use the extended range tank? Was it a weight issue or something else that made you decide not to go that route?
It was almost completely weight driven. I even cleaned the whole thing up, scotch pad the whole tank, wire wheeled the skid, new paint, foam, rollover valves.. But the whole time I was doing that it really became apparent how much it weighed. The skid alone is 68 lbs so I decided to table it for now.
The other driving decision was I decided I wanted a true locker instead of an LSD and since I plan on having it re-geared once I've sorted out all my suspension nonsense, I figured it would help cover the cost. I definitely plan on buying the exact same tank, except with the aluminum skid.
For some reason GenRight won't sell me just the aluminum skid. It later occurred to me I'd then have a big skid that serves no purpose so I figured I'll sell it as a package to someone who's not as weight conscious (or plans on bashing the tank more than I do).

It was almost completely weight driven. I even cleaned the whole thing up, scotch pad the whole tank, wire wheeled the skid, new paint, foam, rollover valves.. But the whole time I was doing that it really became apparent how much it weighed. The skid alone is 68 lbs so I decided to table it for now.
The other driving decision was I decided I wanted a true locker instead of an LSD and since I plan on having it re-geared once I've sorted out all my suspension nonsense, I figured it would help cover the cost. I definitely plan on buying the exact same tank, except with the aluminum skid.
For some reason GenRight won't sell me just the aluminum skid. It later occurred to me I'd then have a big skid that serves no purpose so I figured I'll sell it as a package to someone who's not as weight conscious (or plans on bashing the tank more than I do).

Okay I totally understand the reasoning behind this decision and I'm sure you'll find someone who wants the tank as it is since having that extra 5 gallons of fuel can be nice in some situations.

We know I wasn't ever worried about the weight of my rig since it's already a PIG pushing 5K lbs.

• Haha
Reactions: Vasq
Okay I totally understand the reasoning behind this decision and I'm sure you'll find someone who wants the tank as it is since having that extra 5 gallons of fuel can be nice in some situations.

We know I wasn't ever worried about the weight of my rig since it's already a PIG pushing 5K lbs.
I think you probably play a little harder than I will too haha!

Reactions: Wildman
It is, assembled :cool: mostly..

645317454.jpg

All that's left is to hurry up and wait for my replacement brake parts, shove my tail pipe back in there and correct any interference issues that come from that. Ended up putting my MC track bar back in instead of the JKS, due to it not fitting with my gas tank tucked up. For anyone who's interested, here's a side by side of MC vs. JKS

IMG_8129.jpg

My axle is pushed back ever so slightly and the JKS was just not having it.

Exhaust is in, I'll most likely need to rework it at some point. The track bar will tap it ever so slightly during a driver side droop If anyone knows a good place to buy a bunch of small elbow and different bends, let me know.
Also got my shock limits
Extended 25.5"
Collapsed 16"

Now on to shock shopping, thank god it's not a controversial topic :ROFLMAO:

On the off chance anyone reading this would know the answer, what is the consensus using the extended shock length as a down travel limiter? I've been under the impression that I want my shocks to bottom out just after/at the spring unseating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman and kiwi
Exhaust is in, I'll most likely need to rework it at some point. The track bar will tap it ever so slightly during a driver side droop If anyone knows a good place to buy a bunch of small elbow and different bends, let me know.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...YTycHZ3FRVAp1XLvbElDyXd6hMt3cmahoCNOYQAvD_BwE
You can get any bends from slicing 180s like these, but I've always had good experience with just having an exhaust shop do it when I'm ready. Cat back usually 200-300 out the door around here, and the whole thing custom bent to perfection for the application.

I have successfully cut the rear axle bearings without nicking anything. Phew!

Edit: I suppose I should've opened with this, when I was putting all my drum brake hardware together (which was the bane of my existence for a day) I discovered my driver side axle seal was leaking pretty good, and that was just sitting there. I had all the goodies except the backing/retainer plates which I picked up at Randy's today. So the leaky seal kinda forced me to pony up and replace everything.

IMG_8154.jpg IMG_8155.jpg IMG_8156.jpg

Gonna pick up some hardware tomorrow after work and then I'll be all set to install the new bearings/seals Saturday. Tomorrow I just need to bolt the rear shocks up, oddly enough my Rancho's are just shy from being a 50/50 split so I'll run them until I feel rich again. Then it's cruising time for the rest of the summer aside from the re-gear sometime soon.
So excited to have my Jeep back!

Last edited:
I live in Washington (the wet side) and for the first 9 years of owning it I didn't have a garage, so I installed everything in the rain! I wanted to start sharing the life and story of my 2001 Sport (@SiennatheSpaceship). It is Sienna Pearl, and I bought it in 2008 with only 86k on it. I'm the second owner and it's 230k+ and growing. It's my favorite, the Jeep is my single greatest hobby. Wheeling is fun, but that's just something I do with the Jeep, keeping it preserved is just as important.

Instead of droning on about things that use to be on it I'll just bring everyone up to speed ~
I will be keeping this first post updated as I add/modify things.

- Dana 30/44 axles with 3.73 gears (stock)
- MetalCloak control arms
- Savvy 3" springs
- OME 10mm spacers
- Rancho RS5000X (rear) + Bilstein 5100 (front)
- JB Conversions Super Short SYE + Wide Chain Kit + 6 Pinion Planetary Gear
- Novak Cable Shifter
- M.O.R.E. 1" MML
- Rokmen 1" BL
- Rokmen High Clearance Skid
- Mopar Rock Crawler Bumper + Warn XD9000i, Synthetic Line, Factor 55 Flat Link E
- LoD Signiture Series Rear Bumper
- Savvy Sliders
- TeraFlex Hand Throttle
- 33x10.5R15 BF Goodrich KO2
- Walker Evans Racing 501 Legend II, Bronze
- Magnaflow 3rd Catalytic + Thrush Hush Muffler + Tailpipe by yours truly
-
Late model GTS tucked 1"

And how it is as of now (most recent):

View attachment 185140

Currently: Cleaning the Dana 44 (rear) + relocating upper spring perches + GTS tuck

Cheers 🍻

Upcoming Installs:
- UCF full aluminum belly skids (engine + t-case)
-
Looks fantastic

Edit: I suppose I should've opened with this, when I was putting all my drum brake hardware together (which was the bane of my existence for a day) I discovered my driver side axle seal was leaking pretty good, and that was just sitting there. I had all the goodies except the backing/retainer plates which I picked up at Randy's today. So the leaky seal kinda forced me to pony up and replace everything.

View attachment 261360 View attachment 261361 View attachment 261362

Gonna pick up some hardware tomorrow after work and then I'll be all set to install the new bearings/seals Saturday. Tomorrow I just need to bolt the rear shocks up, oddly enough my Rancho's are just shy from being a 50/50 split so I'll run them until I feel rich again. Then it's cruising time for the rest of the summer aside from the re-gear sometime soon.
Always a touchy operation. Nice work. That’s one job I don’t miss doing since goin’ full float.

View attachment 261360 View attachment 261361 View attachment 261362

Well done. My driver's axle has a small nick in it where I got a little deep with the cutting wheel. Hasn't been an issue...yet.

New bearings are installed (thanks Squatch), shafts are installed, everything is tightened down, brakes are bled.

So oddly enough it feels different. Much less harshness to everything. Almost floppy, but in a fun way. Dunno what to attribute that to, but I suppose it's possible that not having the arch in the springs makes a difference? Maybe running the front isolator in the rear helps more than I thought it would?
Oh well, so glad to have it back. Currently trying to get my dad or BIL to get over here and help me lift the top off so it can go on it's "new and improved" cart so I can get the soft top on for the rest of summer.

Went to pull the rear OME trim spacers which should've only been a 2 hour job. Found that I had pinched my rear driver side shock can while out at walker last weekend. Sooo pulling the spacers turned into realizing my axle is too far back and I ended up spending all day reworking the rear. Got that all knocked out (re-centered, pinion .80 low, pulled in, etc) and now I'm all lined up the way I should've been.

647288858.jpg IMG_8213.jpg

I'm thinking about throwing my old Bilstein's in for cruising around in the sun until new shocks show up. Ended up going with the black max shockes, almost entirely because 3" of lift is hard to size for and they were nearly spot on.

Last edited: