Bull Dawg LJ Hardtop Initial Impressions

Thanks for posting this. Luckily I can't afford one right now. Very tempting!

My favorite feature is the sliding rear windows. I like that more than being able to open them. Get the air flowing without having to remove the top.

Last edited:
Great write up, was hoping someone on here would purchase their top. Now if we can get them to make it in the factory khaki color. Been trying to influence that via their FB site.
I happened to jump on Bulldawg's website today and saw that they're making top in Dark Khaki now. Does that make you a social media influencer now😂.

I happened to jump on Bulldawg's website today and saw that they're making top in Dark Khaki now. Does that make you a social media influencer now😂.
I have now achieved everything I ever wanted in life! ;) Only issue i have now is their hardtop, the way i would configure it, costs as much as a decent XJ. Man I'd like another XJ!

Reactions: HardSell
These guys are in Chattanooga no?

Might be worth the 1.5 hour drive to support a TN business.

Reactions: notGreenLJ
Yea, just North of Chattanooga in Hixson. I might have to take a trip up that way and see these things for myself.

Reactions: csaxj3
@Scout425 What's your long term impression of the hard top? I am thinking of getting one. Currently considering the rally top, bull dawg and gr8top.
I have no experience with any other brand of hardtop. Only ever had a ratty soft top that was falling apart. Almost a year later, Im still happy with my purchase. The side opening windows are great for accessing the back and it functions and looks the exact same as day one. A slight rattle has developed between the top and sound bar that needs some attention, but thats about it.

I have no experience with any other brand of hardtop. Only ever had a ratty soft top that was falling apart. Almost a year later, Im still happy with my purchase. The side opening windows are great for accessing the back and it functions and looks the exact same as day one. A slight rattle has developed between the top and sound bar that needs some attention, but thats about it.
I am placing an order for the bull dawg! The two sun roofs convinced my wife :ROFLMAO: haha

I just got this hard top installed today. I love it. I'll snap some photos soon, and get them posted here. I just got the very simple version, no sunroof, no roof rack. But I love the side windows that open! Glad I made the leap.

photos?

@liftapint

Got mine installed, very happy! Went with a custom exterior color similar to spice, defroster, two sunroofs, roof rails. Will take better pictures later. Here are some for now:

0AB41874-2855-42FE-AD75-9978DB5CDA52.jpeg

0BF27339-2A87-4ADE-A6BE-625641B1E470.jpeg

8B15D0E1-BDDA-4CAD-B545-CD664938F0BA.jpeg

A7B492EE-A97E-46D2-B795-67617869B712.jpeg

EE5109A2-6623-4DC0-9413-3469BB79F7CE.jpeg

Bulldawg has the Dark Khaki color option too. Off the top of my head, I don’t know any others that do besides OEM.

I am very happy with mine too. I went with a standard top, no sunroof, no defroster, no roof rails. I figured I want the top OFF in the summer, and in the winter, I don't need sunroof or roof rails, so went basic. The only upgrade I popped for was the yellow custom interior, to go with my yellow jeep. Glad I did that.

I am getting a lot of wind noise in the middle by the windshield, so I might need some adjustments. But overall, I love it. The BEST is being able to open the side windows to access stuff in the back, or love on the dogs. :)
jeeptop1.jpg
jeeptop4.jpg

jeeptop6.jpg

Last edited:
Since I can't find an OEM top for the LJ - strongly considering one of these, as in ordering tomorrow.

Reviews seem good to go.

Reactions: JMT and notGreenLJ
Since I can't find an OEM top for the LJ - strongly considering one of these, as in ordering tomorrow.

Reviews seem good to go.
I’m happy with the purchase. I use the pop up windows on a daily basis to load the kid and random junk. Pretty handy.

I've got you boys beat, had this one for almost two months now. ;)

20210531_172800.jpg

It's their "Highlander" edition. I originally was going to purchase the regular top with a sunroof but I wanted something that would be able to support the weight of a roof top tent. I specifically wanted the dark khaki color since one, it looks good with the factory paint and two, it doesn't absorb heat as much as my old black hardtop did.

Keep in mind the paint top is textured like a bedliner and NOT smooth like regular paint.

I ordered the top with only the roof rack rails since I want a rack that extends the full length of the roof. I also speced the interior with their "Desert Sand Spice", it looks FANTASTIC. Future plans are a low profile Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and the associated rack tiedowns and trinkets.

Shipped front Tennessee to Idaho, the grand total with tax was $4048. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

Here's some obligatory shots:
20210531_172738.jpg

20210531_172819.jpg
20210531_172912.jpg
20210531_172842.jpg

If you gentlemen have any questions, hit me up.