WTB: Bull Dawg Upper Half Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why bull dawg over bestop? You won't run a hard top anyway ..

I've been reading lots of bad things about the Bestop hard uppers flapping around at highway speeds and leaking. Not that I have to worry about much rain, but check out the reviews here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SA0R8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's the negative reviews that concern me. What are your opinions of them so far? I will say that the fit on my Bestop soft uppers that I had on my silver TJ was piss poor. The barely sealed and it was actually harder to shut the door because of the seals getting in the way.

I've been reading lots of bad things about the Bestop hard uppers flapping around at highway speeds and leaking. Not that I have to worry about much rain, but check out the reviews here on Amazon:

It's the negative reviews that concern me. What are your opinions of them so far? I will say that the fit on my Bestop soft uppers that I had on my silver TJ was piss poor. The barely sealed and it was actually harder to shut the door because of the seals getting in the way.

They are good enough that I haven't even put my full doors back this winter. No leaks whatsoever. The soft door uppers are known to have pretty terrible fit given the design, but these sliders are pretty good. I think they will be perfect for your use and not to mention, cheaper. The bull dawgs only make sense to be if they get used with hard tops.

They are good enough that I haven't even put my full doors back this winter. No leaks whatsoever. The soft door uppers are known to have pretty terrible fit given the design, but these sliders are pretty good. I think they will be perfect for your use and not to mention, cheaper. The bull dawgs only make sense to be if they get used with hard tops.

That's refreshing to hear.

My Bestop soft uppers were just a horrid fit. So bad that I wondered how they could even make such a product. I just want them to fit well and not have big gaps for air to get in and flap around. I may go for the Bestop hard uppers in that case.

I have both the Bull Dawg and the Bestop uppers for half doors. IMHO, if you are only going to run a soft top stick with the Bestop Sliders. They are much faster to remove, both sides of the windows open, and the window openings are larger.

The Bull Dawgs are quieter and for a road trip I would run them with a soft top.

Last edited:

Are you only considering bull dawg or open to others?

I have what I believe are older Bull Dawg hard uppers. I've used them with my soft top and they're good. They go better with the hard top better but the fit is fine.

16-10-18 3.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Open to others as long as they aren’t soft uppers. Are there other options I’m not aware of?
Here are some smittybilt ones. I know what most people say about smittybilt and I get it but I personally think smittybilt has some great stuff. I’ve come across a lot of jeep hard uppers and I can tell you from personal experience, the older bulldawg uppers do NOT fit that great on soft tops. Only on hardtops. The newer ones I believe are much better though i’ve come across a lot less. I THINK a very long time ago bestop or some other brand made some hard uppers but they’re very rare. These smittybilts are also pretty rare as I believe they were only sold WITH the hardtop. This is the second pair i’ve ever come across and the fit/finish and quality is the same as all others if not better. The fit with my soft top is fantastic and the reason I held onto these versus all the others i’ve had. I also like that both sides of the windows open vs just one side.

E240E50B-E9E9-4586-8C55-9BE761FF2777.jpeg

Reactions: PCO6
Here are some smittybilt ones. I know what most people say about smittybilt and I get it but I personally think smittybilt has some great stuff. I’ve come across a lot of jeep hard uppers and I can tell you from personal experience, the older bulldawg uppers do NOT fit that great on soft tops. Only on hardtops. The newer ones I believe are much better though i’ve come across a lot less. I THINK a very long time ago bestop or some other brand made some hard uppers but they’re very rare. These smittybilts are also pretty rare as I believe they were only sold WITH the hardtop. This is the second pair i’ve ever come across and the fit/finish and quality is the same as all others if not better. The fit with my soft top is fantastic and the reason I held onto these versus all the others i’ve had. I also like that both sides of the windows open vs just one side.

View attachment 222546

That's interesting. I thought mine were older Bull Dawgs. There's nothing on them to identify them and I was going on pics of other ones. Mine appear to be just like yours, on the outside any way. One has what appears to be the same sticker on the window (can't remember what it says off hand).

I got mine from a guy who bought them used and hoped they'd fit on his YJ. They didn't so he sold them to me for what he had into them ($200 CDN). They fit great and are well made. Here's what I have - also in post #9 above ...

017.JPG

That's interesting. I thought mine were older Bull Dawgs. There's nothing on them to identify them and I was going on pics of other ones. Mine appear to be just like yours, on the outside any way. One has what appears to be the same sticker on the window (can't remember what it says off hand).

I got mine from a guy who bought them used and hoped they'd fit on his YJ. They didn't so he sold them to me for what he had into them ($200 CDN). They fit great and are well made. Here's what I have - also in post #9 above ...

View attachment 222571
Nah yours are slightly different than mine. Those are an older bulldawg version I believe. Those are the only other one that opens both sides. I forgot about that. I actually think but am not certain that they could be the old rallytop version. I mix them up since rallytop and bulldawg are pretty much the same now. It’s one or the other but smittybilt has the weird design at the bottom. Look closely at mine. It’s the only distinguishing factor.

Nah yours are slightly different than mine. Those are an older bulldawg version I believe. Those are the only other one that opens both sides. I forgot about that. I actually think but am not certain that they could be the old rallytop version. I mix them up since rallytop and bulldawg are pretty much the same now. It’s one or the other but smittybilt has the weird design at the bottom. Look closely at mine. It’s the only distinguishing factor.

I see what you mean about the bottom. I thought yours were marked with dirt or something (no offence). Looking through to the passenger's upper behind it I can see a difference on the interior side too. Yours and mine appear to have the same windows (same sticker too), same latches and both window panes slide. Whatever they are, and old Bull Dawgs is fine with me, they're great for the 2 to 3 months a year that I use them.

Reactions: Chasitek
I see what you mean about the bottom. I thought yours were marked with dirt or something (no offence). Looking through to the passenger's upper behind it I can see a difference on the interior side too. Yours and mine appear to have the same windows (same sticker too), same latches and both window panes slide. Whatever they are, and old Bull Dawgs is fine with me, they're great for the 2 to 3 months a year that I use them.
Yeah. I got wax on it. Lol. Also i’m planning on raptor lining it since they’re slightly faded and I love the texture, durability and UV resistance of raptor liner.

Yeah. I got wax on it. Lol. Also i’m planning on raptor lining it since they’re slightly faded and I love the texture, durability and UV resistance of raptor liner.

I painted my hard top and hard uppers with a Duplicolor light duty bed liner. They look OK but the top is starting to wear through in a few spots and I want to go to something a bit tougher. I was thinking of Raptor Liner too.

I painted my hard top and hard uppers with a Duplicolor light duty bed liner. They look OK but the top is starting to wear through in a few spots and I want to go to something a bit tougher. I was thinking of Raptor Liner too.
I highly recommend raptor liner. Oddly enough as long as you use wax and grease remover, the raptor liner sticks so well to the textured paint that comes on the uppers. I had raptor lined my hardtop and it looks so damn good. Monstaliner is really durable as well but it’s either roll on or you need an air compressor. Raptor liner sells a nice 2k aerosol now. A 2k and an off the shelf at autozone which isn’t as good.

Last edited:
Not sure if you’ve found any uppers yet but i’m actually gonna be selling my hard uppers to fund the Lj hardtop that just cost me my leg. I’m not sure it’d be worth it to you after shipping since these are pretty pristine. Really looking to get $400 for them.

B0810F8C-ABB6-47ED-891B-69EF287A6C17.jpeg

12F9EAD3-2E1A-45EF-8CD5-2D32D0C5F9A2.jpeg

D91C51D3-FA72-4502-8B4E-BC99154233B4.jpeg

1ACF133D-49D2-46F2-B018-A56CE3F78664.jpeg

man, I'm not far away but I'm struggling to justify !
I get that. Honestly, I really don’t want to sell them and they might not be for sale in a week. It’s also why I haven’t listed them in the for sale section. I knew Chris was looking for some though so I figured i’d give him the chance. I listed them locally but for $450. I’ll just have to see what my bank account looks like tomorrow. February was a short month and paying rent today plus buying a LJ hardtop has me a bit broke. I’ve had and sold tons of these uppers and through all the pairs i’ve owned, I’ve kept these because they fit the best with a soft top and they’re in great condition. The biggest downfall like all is the window opening is pretty small. That’d be the only pro to the bestop soft uppers with the sliding glass.

I get that. Honestly, I really don’t want to sell them and they might not be for sale in a week. It’s also why I haven’t listed them in the for sale section. I knew Chris was looking for some though so I figured i’d give him the chance. I listed them locally but for $450. I’ll just have to see what my bank account looks like tomorrow. February was a short month and paying rent today plus buying a LJ hardtop has me a bit broke. I’ve had and sold tons of these uppers and through all the pairs i’ve owned, I’ve kept these because they fit the best with a soft top and they’re in great condition. The biggest downfall like all is the window opening is pretty small. That’d be the only pro to the bestop soft uppers with the sliding glass.
I'm in Pittsboro, near by and would like to take a look/possibly test drive in my jeep. Currently have soft uppers that dont seem to fit great and leak air and cause my rear soft windows to flap a bit on hwy even with heater on (rear windows 'bulge' fine with hard full doors). Feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.