Bump steer and wobble diagnosis

QPjeeping15

I don't know much about working on jeeps or cars at all for that matter. I bought a jeep in hopes of learning as much as possible about the car. My jeep is in need of new tires but I want to get the suspension/steering squared away before I drop a bunch of money on tires. I was hoping that someone could help me diagnose some of the bump steer and wobble issues I'm having. My jeep begins to wobble when I reach around 50-55 mph and it isn't bad enough to force me to pull over but it's definitely noticeable. I have a 2005 with a 4" skyjacker lift (I know this isn't a loved lift on the forum but the previous owner installed this).
IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG

The dropped pitman arm can cause bump steer.

Have you had your tires balanced and checked out?

Also you should do a dry steering test. The how to is in the faq section of the forums.

Reactions: QPjeeping15
Looks like the tie rod is bent unless it’s just the camera angle. Could this cause steering issues? My guess is tire balance on the vibrations. My TJ is by far the pickiest vehicle I have ever owned on needing a perfectly balanced tire.

Looks like the tie rod is bent unless it’s just the camera angle. Could this cause steering issues? My guess is tire balance on the vibrations. My TJ is by far the pickiest vehicle I have ever owned on needing a perfectly balanced tire.

Yeah the tie rod has always looked a little bent to me too, I'm in the process of finding a replacement if you have any suggestions. Thanks for the response!

Upgrade that tie rod to a ZJ tie rod, put a stock pitman arm back on, and balance those tires perfectly. Don't accept close. They need to be balanced to zero. TJ's are touchy that way.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I had steering issues also, on excellent advise from Jerry and changed my drop pitman to the factory style (from 4wheel pts) one pic of the old drop pitman and the new arm. Jeep now drives terrific, the difference was huge and my steering is dead solid.
283F3133-DDD6-4B5C-819A-45C54A4F76EC.png
3C96AE5A-6BFF-4D18-99D2-3013CBE438D8.png