Bump steer / wobble

kylepk

Hey ya'll, my first post. Just got this jeep from a friend a couple of days ago and it's my second one. I had an 88 YJ and absolutely loved the thing, drove like a caddilac (not even kidding, people who rode with me were ridiculously surprised at how well it drove). But I have this 2003 now and it just drives like a big ol' rolling turd. It wobbles at 50+, seems to wander around the road just accelerating, and has pretty traumatizing bump steer. It has a 2" lift on it and the jeep lean to the passenger side. I don't know much about these jeeps and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I've read through pretty much every one of these other threads on here and I just can't figure out in my own head how to look at this thing. Sounds like from what I've read before is that it might be a drop pitman arm? I can't really tell if I have one, but I think it does. Other than that I don't know how to like measure and from where to where to see if my angles are out of alignment? I attached the picture of the steering, if anyone can see something right off the bat for this jeep, it would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0498.jpg

Hey ya'll, my first post. Just got this jeep from a friend a couple of days ago and it's my second one. I had an 88 YJ and absolutely loved the thing, drove like a caddilac (not even kidding, people who rode with me were ridiculously surprised at how well it drove). But I have this 2003 now and it just drives like a big ol' rolling turd. It wobbles at 50+, seems to wander around the road just accelerating, and has pretty traumatizing bump steer. It has a 2" lift on it and the jeep lean to the passenger side. I don't know much about these jeeps and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I've read through pretty much every one of these other threads on here and I just can't figure out in my own head how to look at this thing. Sounds like from what I've read before is that it might be a drop pitman arm? I can't really tell if I have one, but I think it does. Other than that I don't know how to like measure and from where to where to see if my angles are out of alignment? I attached the picture of the steering, if anyone can see something right off the bat for this jeep, it would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 114945
That dropped pitman needs to go to start.

Reactions: astjp2
That dropped pitman needs to go to start.

Okay, that is a dropped pitman? I kept seeing people say on other threads but I didn't see anything on how to like tell if mine was dropped or not. I can buy a stock one right now, that's what I'll need right?

Also forgot to mention, I did the jump on the front bumper test and I can see my steering wheel go about a quarter to half a turn when I bounce on the front. Idk if that helps or not.

Another issue it looks like you have is it looks like your track bar is hitting your front diff cover. That is not good.

Reactions: StG58
Another issue it looks like you have is it looks like your track bar is hitting your front diff cover. That is not good.

Are there any normal causes for that? I did mention before that this jeep does have the lean on the passenger side, would that have anything to do with it?

Yep, that pitman will cause some serious bump steer, that heim joint will also not last long on the street for your track bar. Also how are the bushings in your control arms? That will make the ass end feel loose if they are worn and flopping around.

Reactions: Gollywomper
also Check your alignment, specifically toe setting. That can make a rig drive really bad. There is a write up in the “How to” section that explains it better than I could.

Yep, that pitman will cause some serious bump steer, that heim joint will also not last long on the street for your track bar. Also how are the bushings in your control arms? That will make the ass end feel loose if they are worn and flopping around.

Is the heim joint not needed? What should I do with it to make it right? The bushings don't look too terribly bad but could probably use replacing.

also Check your alignment, specifically toe setting. That can make a rig drive really bad. There is a write up in the “How to” section that explains it better than I could.

I saw that and have it bookmarked already and was going to try and do that this weekend as well if I can find another person to hold the tape measure. Thanks for bringing that up though! At least gives another like "yes do this" rather than me just looking around lol.

Pit man arm should make a huge difference. Then we can attack each other issue as needed.

Sweet!

Those control arms you have were a weird design, they dont allow for much articulation, they will have a hard time flexing because they bushings were not designed to allow the axles to twist up and down vs the frame. If you are just running on the street, you will be great, but if you plan on any trail riding, it may become a problem for you. That heim joint is not a good option for the street, they get dirt inside them and wear out. if your heim failed right now, it would fall off and you would be taking a ride you do not want. Put a large area washer under the head of the bolt so the housing wont fall off the ball. A simple adjustable track bar that has a tie rod end will be more than sufficient and are greaseable unless you are doing some serious rock crawling, then you may want to upgrade.

@Jerry Bransford and others will also have good advice for fixing some of the other issues you are encountering. Now that bump steer is addressed. Now we can look at: Vibrations at 50 mph will most likely be tire balance or a wheel that is out of round. You will also want to get a set of different shocks, the Rancho RS5000x are a nice ride and are recommended by many on this forum and are affordable. Bilstein are liked by some and Fox are considered one of the best rides but also the most expensive if they have a custom tune.

Those control arms you have were a weird design, they dont allow for much articulation, they will have a hard time flexing because they bushings were not designed to allow the axles to twist up and down vs the frame. If you are just running on the street, you will be great, but if you plan on any trail riding, it may become a problem for you. That heim joint is not a good option for the street, they get dirt inside them and wear out. if your heim failed right now, it would fall off and you would be taking a ride you do not want. Put a large area washer under the head of the bolt so the housing wont fall off the ball. A simple adjustable track bar that has a tie rod end will be more than sufficient and are greaseable unless you are doing some serious rock crawling, then you may want to upgrade.

@Jerry Bransford and others will also have good advice for fixing some of the other issues you are encountering. Now that bump steer is addressed. Now we can look at: Vibrations at 50 mph will most likely be tire balance or a wheel that is out of round. You will also want to get a set of different shocks, the Rancho RS5000x are a nice ride and are recommended by many on this forum and are affordable. Bilstein are liked by some and Fox are considered one of the best rides but also the most expensive if they have a custom tune.
He won't be able to convert back to a trackbar with a TRE due to that mount being drilled for a bolt.