Business end of trail compressor

Brianj5600

TJ Expert
I'm curious what everyone is using on the end of their compressor hose? My compressor has a screw on chuck, which I'm looking to replace with something better. Pictures or links would be great!

I ended up with a version of the hose end that @Mr. Bills linked to. I didn't want to mount my compressor to my Jeep and wanted to include a tank. The compressor runs the entire time I am airing up and when checking pressure or moving to the next tire, pressure builds in the tank. It saves a some time and when done I fill the tank.

I like having the tank to anchor the coiled hose end. I usually hate coiled hoses because when you let go of them, they pull themselves back. The tank eliminates that. The coiled hose stores easily and doesn't tangle.

20190402_210105.jpg

I’m using this on my still portable Viair 400:
Coilhose Pneumatics CH09A"OPEN FLOW" Ball Chuck and Clip, 1/4-Inch FPT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PZ7KJ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

As @Mr. Bills said, used Viair compressors are out there. I didn’t get as good a deal as him though.

I just bought a viair 88p and I’m wondering how exactly you attached the clip chuck(?) on the hose?
Did you simply cut the hose and use a male 1/4npt to prong(?) adapter?

I bought my Viair 400 used from someone that was going to permanently mount it for OBA.
Mine didn’t come with a hose.

If I recall correctly, I used a standard quick disconnect like the one shown below to hook onto Viair’s male disconnect fitting.
I then built up my air hose assembly from there.
A635D17B-344C-4104-91F6-B9561BF491B6.jpeg

I don’t have a picture of the actual assembly since the compressor is on loan to a friend and hopefully on the road to EJS.

This is the flex hose I used in the assembly.
Flexzilla Polyurethane Recoil Hose, 1/4 in. x 25 ft, ZillaGreen - LP1425AFZ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TCMBM9U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The hose has worked fine for me for about 4 years but I see mixed reviews on Amazon now.
YRMV

Last edited:
I tried this style first but had issues with it no holding.

So I went to the push locking style which work a lot better but I did have some clearance issues with my rock ring on my Hummer rims.

I use this in my garage except when I am filling the tries on my motorcycle the I use the first one as it is the only thing that fits. I plan on putting 90* valve stems during my next tire change.

I think that is the wrong size. It is listed as "heavy equipment". There is a standard one of the same looking design for a lot less money on that link of the same design. I do like that design, but my wheels hide the valve stem to the point it might not work for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01938M8MW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yep, missed that bit about it being for large bore valve stem. I'd worry about it fitting some rims also

My issue with coiled hose is when they are extended and you set them down they pull back. It takes 2 hands to work most tire gauges we use and that means you have to step on the hose to keep it close. If the compressor moves with you it is not an issue.

My issue with coiled hose is when they are extended and you set them down they pull back. It takes 2 hands to work most tire gauges we use and that means you have to step on the hose to keep it close. If the compressor moves with you it is not an issue.

Got it, I guess I always just step on it or hook the hose on something like the bumper or my rim. With the rock rings it made it easy. Plus it was why I have a chuck at the front and rear of my TJ. Then I'm not stretching the hose as much.

IMGP2276.jpg

I know some people who put air chucks in by each door because they didn't what them on the outside.