Buying a LJ

Willys LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I closed the deal on a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited yesterday. Metallic blue, chrome grille, 4.0 with the 6 speed, soft top, I haven't found a mod on it yet. This is my 3rd Jeep, the first two were CJ5s years ago. It's been over 30 years since I last owned one.

I don't really plan on much offroading with it other than driving it around the farm. I'll put a receiver hitch on it to pull my old utility trailer, but other than that, I don't see too many mods to it. Maybe a better stereo and a backup camera to help with hooking up the trailer.

Besides, someone has to keep at least one stock for the future. Although I did tell my wife that I was going to get a set of those "WILLYS" stickers for the side of the hood. She promptly told me that it wasn't a Willys. I told her that it's Willys Jeep now. Need one of the old Willys 4 Wheel Drive ones for the rear too.

Willy's LJ.jpg

I closed the deal on a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited yesterday. Metallic blue, chrome grille, 4.0 with the 6 speed, soft top, I haven't found a mod on it yet. This is my 3rd Jeep, the first two were CJ5s years ago. It's been over 30 years since I last owned one.

I don't really plan on much offroading with it other than driving it around the farm. I'll put a receiver hitch on it to pull my old utility trailer, but other than that, I don't see too many mods to it. Maybe a better stereo and a backup camera to help with hooking up the trailer.

Besides, someone has to keep at least one stock for the future. Although I did tell my wife that I was going to get a set of those "WILLYS" stickers for the side of the hood. She promptly told me that it wasn't a Willys. I told her that it's Willys Jeep now. Need one of the old Willys 4 Wheel Drive ones for the rear too.

View attachment 60287
Dude, that's exactly mine. The only diff is I got a hardtop too.

"...I don't see too many mods to it. Maybe a better stereo and a backup camera..." That's how it starts. I will say you are sitting 1" lower than factory fresh due to spring sag, I am. So put a set of 2.5 or 3" springs on it a set of 32's, a new track bar to center things up front and.......oh good grief Just Empty Every Pocket.

Welcome to the journey.

Reactions: Willys LJ
I'm kind of short legged so I don't see me lifting it very much if any. I'd have to park in the back of the lot so no one would see me using a step ladder to get in and out.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I'm kind of short legged so I don't see me lifting it very much if any. I'd have to park in the back of the lot so no one would see me using a step ladder to get in and out.
You will have fun with it. And you "will" make a few mods to it here and there. You just can't help it. You've already started.... Willy's decal, hitch...stereo.:)

I'm 5.6 and one of the first things I did was install seat risers. Makes a world of difference over the windshield.

You will have fun with it. And you "will" make a few mods to it here and there. You just can't help it. You've already started.... Willy's decal, hitch...stereo.:)

I've always heard that Jeeps are some of the most modified vehicles in the world.

Awesome purchase! I'm just amazed you went 30 years without owning a Jeep! How did you managed to do it? :p

Awesome purchase! I'm just amazed you went 30 years without owning a Jeep! How did you managed to do it? :p

A near flat wallet will do it every time. I'd start building up a Jeep fund and some crisis or another would come up. I recently came into some extra money figured it was time to Just Empty Every Pocket.

Reactions: Chris
Looking good! And glad you found your way over Willy. :D

I told the wife it was your fault. You got your Jeep and got me to thinking about Jeeps again. You might not want to go to Tennessee for a while lol. Actually, she's tickled I finally got another one after all this time. I think she's hoping I'll shut up about the old one.

Almost forgot, thanks for the heads up on this forum. Nice joint here. Although I'm surprised if they let old reprobates like me in.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Almost forgot to mention that I drove it home late this afternoon. 80 mile drive from Benton KY where I found it. I found a few small issues on the the way home, but nothing major.

A near flat wallet will do it every time. I'd start building up a Jeep fund and some crisis or another would come up. I recently came into some extra money figured it was time to Just Empty Every Pocket.

I feel ya!

Of course now you're going to have to get ready to have even emptier pockets!

I told the wife it was your fault. You got your Jeep and got me to thinking about Jeeps again. You might not want to go to Tennessee for a while lol. Actually, she's tickled I finally got another one after all this time. I think she's hoping I'll shut up about the old one.

Almost forgot, thanks for the heads up on this forum. Nice joint here. Although I'm surprised if they let old reprobates like me in.

I'm glad I rarely ever travel that far south. Sounds safer that way. :D

View attachment 60287
I really love that color! Great find. The only mod I can see is the grille is chrome and they are usually color matched. I wonder if they just put the chrome one over the color matched original. It would be nice if that were the case. Congrats and welcome back to the Jeep world!

Reactions: Willys LJ
I really love that color! Great find. The only mod I can see is the grille is chrome and they are usually color matched. I wonder if they just put the chrome one over the color matched original. It would be nice if that were the case. Congrats and welcome back to the Jeep world!

It looks to be just a cover for the real grille. But you have to look close to see that. What I like about the grille is that it reminds me of the old Laredo CJs. Kind of an "old school" look to it.

Reactions: JMT