Buying a Ruger .22 LR rifle: Bolt-action or semi-auto?

All this is giving me ideas about a possible merger. . . My Jeep and

85CD4B1C-021D-4152-9088-990F83088A7A.jpeg

Should be interesting. Let me get back to you!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I own the 10/22 and my buddy has the bolt action. The bolt action is more accurate out of the box.

A 10/22 is just like a jeep. They make every conceivable part for it and it's really easy to get carried away. I myself did this and now I have a 10/22 with a 8x scope, new barrel, stock, and internals that shoots so accurately its not really as fun as it once was. I solved this issue by buying a marlin 60 and vowing never to touch anything on it. The 10/22 often gets left at home while the marlin comes out to play.

Which leads me to this. If you're going to buy a .22 for fun don't touch the way it comes out of the box. It sounds like you have a .308 for trying to stack some dimes in the middle of a target with.

Really? Carried away? How so?

BA52EBDC-AF1F-4A00-A8D5-EFAF93D0CCC6.jpeg

I vote for the marlin model 60, tried and true and fun to shoot. They are cheap enough you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of a 10/22.
I have a 1969 Glenfield Model 75 carbine, basically a Marlin they used to sell in stores like JC penny. I shoot the piss out of that thing and it never fails. Damn near scored a Glenfield 60 yesterday.
Many squirrels have made their way into my fryer due to that old .22.
Don’t buy for looks, buy for purpose, and that purpose bring you can shoot 500 rounds for $25.

Reactions: StG58
I say bolt action... why shoot 10 shots when 1 well placed shot will do. I don't know what your reason for wanting a Ruger is but I have always been a fan of Savage. I have a Savage Mark 2 and I LOVE it, great quality and it's a tack driver, I have shot 1/2" groups at 50 yards with Norma tac 22 ammo. I will also say you haven't fully experienced the fun of a 22lr until you shoot it with a suppessor and the bullet hitting your target is louder then the shot.

That stock looks amazing. So does the ar in the background. Another gun I am guilty of spending to much money on 🤣
Likewise I’m guilty of the same, that one is a .300 Blackout it’s probably my favorite AR to shoot,

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
All this is giving me ideas about a possible merger. . . My Jeep and

View attachment 90115
Should be interesting. Let me get back to you!

Needs a roof top mount. I believe that gun is based on Ruger actions. I saw an early version (15 years ago) in a gun shop in Gastonia, NC. I like it. I had a GSG that looked like a MP 5. I ran a ton of ammo through it. I shot it mostly with a red dot sight. I pretended I was Arnold. I spent a ton of time and a little money with a Remington 522. the internet experts said it was a great shooter. Mine was not anything special.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I love 22 pistols. My favorites were Beretta's 70 series guns.

I sold most of my stuff 6 years ago. My wife and I were retiring and we were going to travel by RV. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving a house full of guns unattended for 6 weeks or more. This thread is making me happy. I haven't looked at these pics in along time.

This one was a 25. The Beretta 459 was the gun that James Bond carried in the early books and movies. There is a scene, I think in Goldfinger, where M makes Bond give up the .25 for a Walther PPK. FWIW, I tried the "my name is Bond, James Bond" a few times. It never worked for me. :) Also, I was much better on the video game than I was on the range.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I am up early and unsupervised, so youse guys are getting the treatment. Here is my favorite incident on the range. I was shooting a Thompson/Center R55 at 25 yards. The gun was new to me so I was looking for best ammo and trying to determine a maintenance schedule for the gun. Incidently , I was getting variations in reults as the gun heated up. The gun was pretty good with CCI standard velocity rounds (which was good becuase the stuff was cheap before Obama). I was shooting at the crosses, one shot at for each, when a fly landed on the cardboard. I couldn't resist the shot. One shot, one kill. I had to take the picture. :) Not exactly a big game hunter. I call this picture Bloody Remains. I am sharing but not trying to brag. I was never a really good shot. i had talent issues. In this case talent means poor eyesight and jumpy nerves. I still had a lot of fun.

Reactions: StG58 and DrDmoney
22s are my thing. I have had a lot of different rifles and pistols. I believe that many of the accuracy stories you hear about 22s are like the one where people win in Vegas. 22 ammunition can be very finicky. You have to spend the money to get the good stuff. The primer is something explosive dropped into the bottom of the case and then spun into the place. The nature of the process breeds inconsistency. Slight variations in bullet weight, how deeply the bullet is seated, and bullet size make a significant difference too. The good guys spend more than 10 dollars a box, then weigh their bullets to cull the ones out of spec (they shoot the culls in practice). My experience with stock cheap ammunition has been that I can shoot good groups at 25 yards and disappointing groups at 50 yards. I think a bolt action rifle is a good way to go if the kids are going to learn to shoot with it. All the 22 semi-automatics I have had need regular cleaning to maintain accuracy and function. The most accurate 22 semi-auto I have had was a Thompson/Center R55. In my experience the best bolt action 22 for the money has been the CZ 455. My favorite 22 rifle is a Anschutz 1415/1416. It is a very light rifle with a 4 power scope. It is a great squirrel gun.

I know - all of this is answers to questions you didn't ask. Let me see if I can get on subject. I haven't had a Ruger rifle in a long time. The most recent semi-auto factory rifles I looked at were not well made. Especially, some of the bolts were poorly made. There is a reason that the after market for Ruger semi-autos is so big. Ruger sells some stuff that suxs. I haven't seen their new bolt action 22, but Ruger generally does bolt action rifles very well. The old Ruger 77/22 has a very good reputation.

FWIW, I generally do my shopping on Gunbroker or Guns America. You have to be careful where you meet people, and know something about what you are buying. I haven't had a bad experience. I have bought some stuff from online shops. Whittaker Guns is a great place to buy from ( https://www.whittakerguns.com/ ). Your state laws may not allow you the same buying opportunities I have. Good luck with your purchase.

I couldn't agree more with this. Ruger has always made a great bolt action rifle, 77/22 being by favorite ruger 22. 10/22's are neat but out of the box are not that accurate and I see them jam a lot. As far as semi auto goes, my Umarex made Colt M4 will blow a 10/22 out of the water as far as fire rate, accuracy, and not jamming goes. My CZ 455 bolt action is a sweet gun, it is heavy enough and has a long enough barrel to be extremely accurate. Also, I love most old (50+ year old) 22's in general. Dad has several remington and winchester models that are excellent. The thing they have on the new ones is better iron sights, tiny and precise (dang near as good as a scope at times).

Personally, I love the accuracy of the bolt action. I also seem to have more fun shooting them, even at steel targets. With practice a bolt action can be fired very quick! Also for teaching kids, I think bolt action is the way to go (y). It will help them understand how the firearm functions better.

Recently I've decided to pick-up a .22 LR rifle. The ammo is cheap, the rifles are inexpensive, and I'm thinking I can have a lot of fun without having to always be thinking about how much each of my .44 Magnum or .308 rounds costs.

Anyhow, I think I've narrowed it down to these two:

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/31115.html
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/specSheets/8351.html
So one of them is the beloved Ruger 10/22, while the other is a Ruger American Rimfire Standard.

Both pretty identical in terms of specs, with the exception being that one is a semi-auto, and the other is bolt-action.

The rifle will be used almost exclusively for plinking and target practice. I'll probably teach my daughters how to shoot with it as well.

I plan to mount a Vortex Crossfire scope to the rifle also.

Anyways, I guess what it comes down to is semi-auto vs. bolt-action (unless I'm missing something).

I don't own any bolt-action rifles, and it's been a long, long time since I've fired one.

Just curious to hear any input from some of you guys who are way more knowledgeable about guns than I am.
Look into the Ruger 10/22 take down. Easy to carry in the jeep.

Reactions: Chris and Ron Hall
Chris I think the 10/22 is hard to beat for dependability and accuracy. There are several different models. I installed a volquarsten sear in mine for a much better trigger for steel matches. They are great little rifles.

Needs a roof top mount. I believe that gun is based on Ruger actions. I saw an early version (15 years ago) in a gun shop in Gastonia, NC. I like it. I had a GSG that looked like a MP 5. I ran a ton of ammo through it. I shot it mostly with a red dot sight. I pretended I was Arnold. I spent a ton of time and a little money with a Remington 522. the internet experts said it was a great shooter. Mine was not anything special.

View attachment 90163
Looks like you @DrDmoney and I should start a show me your overly modified 10/22 thread lol. Mines about 3hrs away in tahoe so not to easy to photo though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Hall
I taught both of my kids to shoot at a very young age with a cheap single shot bolt action from Walmart. Forget the brand. Actually a pretty nice gun for the $100 it cost. We soon upgraded to a 10/22 and the single shot went to my nephew to teach his kids. Why get just one? Its like limiting yourself to one mod on the TJ! You may think you will never do it as I did but I eventually got a 22 suppressor so a threaded barrel is pretty important for that. We actually giggled the first time we shot it. Very fun.