Buying a Ruger .22 LR rifle: Bolt-action or semi-auto?

Looks like you @DrDmoney and I should start a show me your overly modified 10/22 thread lol. Mines about 3hrs away in tahoe so not to easy to photo though.

I never drank the 10/22 Kool aid. I have shot a few. The thing I liked the best was the magazines. The stock guns were too expensive to buy and throw parts away. The modded guns seemed too expensive for what they were advertising. The 10/22 aftermarket seemed a lot like the black rifle market. You need to be an expert to know if you are getting good value.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
I never drank the 10/22 Kool aid. I have shot a few. The thing I liked the best was the magazines. The stock guns were too expensive to buy and throw parts away. The modded guns seemed too expensive for what they were advertising. The 10/22 aftermarket seemed a lot like the black rifle market. You need to be an expert to know if you are getting good value.
Fine... you're kicked out of the club :ROFLMAO:

I am enjoying thsi gun thread. I haven't done any gun talk in a couple of years.

This Smith and Wesson Model 48 was a mystery to me and many Smith experts. The model 48 was supposed to be a 22 mag. Mine was 22lr. Some of these came with inter changeable cylinders and could shoot both. The barrel on those guns was always marked 22 mag. It didn't matter to me. I wanted a Smith 22lr and this was way cheaper then a similar Model 17.

My range.

My Father-in-Law was a 82nd airborne Sargent in the early 50's. He always talked of his Army experience as if it was the highlight of his life. I bought a M-1 Garand from the CMP mostly because of him. First thing he said was watch out for your thumb when you load that gun. 2nd thing he said was he trained with the M-1 but he carried a Thompson .45. He was on the 82nd Airborne pistol team and he could shoot. He is in his mid-80s in this picture. He hit the target.

I got this Bushmaster .223 as a partial trade for a motorcycle. it was a good shooter. I made multiple tries to get this image turned over. It wanted to be this way. This gun ended up with a laser pointer and a red dot scope. The laser pointer was really fun. I've got a movie somewhere....

- I'm having a little fun here.

I am enjoying thsi gun thread. I haven't done any gun talk in a couple of years.

This Smith and Wesson Model 48 was a mystery to me and many Smith experts. The model 48 was supposed to be a 22 mag. Mine was 22lr. Some of these came with inter changeable cylinders and could shoot both. The barrel on those guns was always marked 22 mag. It didn't matter to me. I wanted a Smith 22lr and this was way cheaper then a similar Model 17.
View attachment 90278

My range.
View attachment 90281

My Father-in-Law was a 82nd airborne Sargent in the early 50's. He always talked of his Army experience as if it was the highlight of his life. I bought a M-1 Garand from the CMP mostly because of him. First thing he said was watch out for your thumb when you load that gun. 2nd thing he said was he trained with the M-1 but he carried a Thompson .45. He was on the 82nd Airborne pistol team and he could shoot. He is in his mid-80s in this picture. He hit the target.
View attachment 90285

I got this Bushmaster .223 as a partial trade for a motorcycle. it was a good shooter. I made multiple tries to get this image turned over. It wanted to be this way. This gun ended up with a laser pointer and a red dot scope. The laser pointer was really fun. I've got a movie somewhere....
View attachment 90292

Love that Smith and Wesson revolver, that thing is a beauty!

View attachment 90278

My range.
View attachment 90281

View attachment 90285

View attachment 90292

Like your range here’s your gun back.

83415D8E-E145-4DEC-A906-4259CF966E6A.jpeg

Reactions: andy29847
I always thought Browning made the prettiest guns. I was excited when I found a Browning A-bolt 22. It was gorgeous. It was a mistake, like many men make with women. I let the looks override what I had read about how they shoot. Any Ruger would shoot straighter than this gun. Research after the sale :( found many similar cases.

More about my Aschutz 1415/1416. I never guessed I would spend the money for an Aschutz. The 1415/1416 model is probably the cheapest gun they made. This one came out of a used gun barrel. Really, it was in a barrel, at an upstate SC gun shop. It had an old Buschnell Scope Chief 4x scope on it. It came with a leather sling and a 2 stage trigger. It's built on the 64 action. it quickly became my go to squirrel gun. It's OK on the range too, even with the 4 power scope. I put a 6x18 scope on it one day just to see how good it would shoot. It was plenty good but the big scope ruined the lines of the gun.

More about the Beretta pistols. I was at work and met a guy with a Beretta 70. It was beat up from being kept in a drawer for years. I didn't know much about the pistol, but it was a Beretta, and it was cheap, so I bought it. The gun was a shooter. Amazing accuracy given the short barrel. It was not ammo sensitive - load what you got an pull the trigger. I did some research and found that Beretta made a series of 70 series pistols starting with the 70 and going through the Model 76. This info started me on a quest to have one of each. I didn't finish the job. I ended up with 2 70s, 2 71s, a 75 and a 76. The 2 71s are pictured below. They were the last Berettas I bought. They were surplus military or police guns from Europe. They were not legal for import in stock trim, so the import company attached pseudo silencers to them that could be counted as added barrel length. The (not) silencers were supposed to be permanent, but I learned you could grind the end near the barrel and expose a set screw that held the silencers on. I removed the silencers. The 71 were famous as Mossad assassination weapons. Some of the terrorist who killed Israelis in the 72 Olympics were dealt their justice with silenced Berreta 71s in Italy. It made quite a stink in the Italian press.

This is the Beretta 75. The 70 though 75 models were nearly identiacl except for barrel lengths and sights. I bought this form a guy and gun Broker and it was shipped in to a friend that had the license. When i picked it up form him, he wanted to shoot it. He grabbed 10 rounds of 22lr and we walked out to his range. His range was 100 yards and he had a 18" piece of cardboard at the end where he had been sighting a scope. He shot 5 and I shot 5. We hit the cardboard 8 times (he claimed all of his were on paper :) ). My thoughts were WOW! Who would have believed that a gun that looks like this would shoot that good.

This is the Beretta 76. Of all the guns I have sold, this is the one I cry about. It was so pretty. It shot like you expect a target pistol to shoot. The misses were my fault.

I later found another Beretta 70, brand new in the box. This was a classic barn find for me. It even had 2 magazines (which are scarce). The price was right too. I sold the group of Berettas because I was retiring and wanted to travel. I could not stand the thought of going away for long periods, and leaving this stuff at home. I never considered myself a gun collector. I would buy something interesting, shoot it some, show it off some, then sell it and move on to the next thing. Central to this thought is that a lot of guns are hard to store and they need periodic care. Also, it isn't easy to turn a profit on on the sell, so it's is like money eroding away in the closet. I mostly viewed guns as tools.

Good point. And for that reason I think the bolt action is the way to go here. I definitely don’t think it’s a good idea for them to be learning to shoot with a semi-auto.
Lowranger makes a good point. I learned on a semi, but it is ultimately a decision you have to make.

Reactions: Chris
I always thought Browning made the prettiest guns. I was excited when I found a Browning A-bolt 22. It was gorgeous. It was a mistake, like many men make with women. I let the looks override what I had read about how they shoot. Any Ruger would shoot straighter than this gun. Research after the sale :( found many similar cases.

View attachment 90387

More about my Aschutz 1415/1416. I never guessed I would spend the money for an Aschutz. The 1415/1416 model is probably the cheapest gun they made. This one came out of a used gun barrel. Really, it was in a barrel, at an upstate SC gun shop. It had an old Buschnell Scope Chief 4x scope on it. It came with a leather sling and a 2 stage trigger. It's built on the 64 action. it quickly became my go to squirrel gun. It's OK on the range too, even with the 4 power scope. I put a 6x18 scope on it one day just to see how good it would shoot. It was plenty good but the big scope ruined the lines of the gun.

View attachment 90389

View attachment 90390

View attachment 90391

More about the Beretta pistols. I was at work and met a guy with a Beretta 70. It was beat up from being kept in a drawer for years. I didn't know much about the pistol, but it was a Beretta, and it was cheap, so I bought it. The gun was a shooter. Amazing accuracy given the short barrel. It was not ammo sensitive - load what you got an pull the trigger. I did some research and found that Beretta made a series of 70 series pistols starting with the 70 and going through the Model 76. This info started me on a quest to have one of each. I didn't finish the job. I ended up with 2 70s, 2 71s, a 75 and a 76. The 2 71s are pictured below. They were the last Berettas I bought. They were surplus military or police guns from Europe. They were not legal for import in stock trim, so the import company attached pseudo silencers to them that could be counted as added barrel length. The (not) silencers were supposed to be permanent, but I learned you could grind the end near the barrel and expose a set screw that held the silencers on. I removed the silencers. The 71 were famous as Mossad assassination weapons. Some of the terrorist who killed Israelis in the 72 Olympics were dealt their justice with silenced Berreta 71s in Italy. It made quite a stink in the Italian press.
View attachment 90392

This is the Beretta 75. The 70 though 75 models were nearly identiacl except for barrel lengths and sights. I bought this form a guy and gun Broker and it was shipped in to a friend that had the license. When i picked it up form him, he wanted to shoot it. He grabbed 10 rounds of 22lr and we walked out to his range. His range was 100 yards and he had a 18" piece of cardboard at the end where he had been sighting a scope. He shot 5 and I shot 5. We hit the cardboard 8 times (he claimed all of his were on paper :) ). My thoughts were WOW! Who would have believed that a gun that looks like this would shoot that good.
View attachment 90393

This is the Beretta 76. Of all the guns I have sold, this is the one I cry about. It was so pretty. It shot like you expect a target pistol to shoot. The misses were my fault.
View attachment 90394

I later found another Beretta 70, brand new in the box. This was a classic barn find for me. It even had 2 magazines (which are scarce). The price was right too. I sold the group of Berettas because I was retiring and wanted to travel. I could not stand the thought of going away for long periods, and leaving this stuff at home. I never considered myself a gun collector. I would buy something interesting, shoot it some, show it off some, then sell it and move on to the next thing. Central to this thought is that a lot of guns are hard to store and they need periodic care. Also, it isn't easy to turn a profit on on the sell, so it's is like money eroding away in the closet. I mostly viewed guns as tools.
View attachment 90395

I've wanted one of those Beretta 75's for a while. Your's shoots good huh?

All of the Berretta 70 series guns I have had shoot good. Be advised, some of the Berettas were imported by Garcia and are so marked.

Mine had an adjustable rear sight. The ones I am seeing online seem to have fixed sights.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/806116757

http://www.armslist.com/posts/83897...long-barrel--22lr-pistol-5-7-8--target-barrel

I've got a Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat in 22lr. I forget which one. Love that little gun. But would like to pick up one of those with the faux silencer. I think they are model 71 https://www.dahlonegaarmory.com/products/handguns-century-hg1071-g-787450090736-2448 What does it mean that the faux supressor is permenantly attached?