California to have highest gas prices in nation when new gas tax kicks in July 1

The shenanigans around that repeal and the way it was worded should have seriously resulted in several hearty kicks to the taints of all the lying sacks of shit involved.

Not only was it worded in the bullshit say yes if you mean no that is typical of those types of measures, the question was disingenuous. Had the question been "do you want to pay more taxes on fuel, higher vehicle registrations with no guarantee that the funds can only be used on the roads?" the answer would have been a resounding NO. Instead they asked if everyone wanted shitty and shittier roads and highways and they put up a bunch of bleeding heart commercials.

Vote to keep the gas tax with a bunch of fire fighters and ambulance jockeys saying if they didn't keep the tax, then the roads would be so bad that they couldn't come and put out your house fire or save your drowning baby.

There is still no guarantee of fund distribution and no legal assurance that the funds HAVE to be used to fix the roads. Not to mention they have done similar type measures in the past and didn't use the funds to fix the roads.

Ugh, so true. If you believed all the ads, freeway overpasses were literally falling out from under you on the daily. Reading the fine print, you'd find backing the tax, multiple large companies that provide road repair/rebuilding. I did find it interesting the backing from fire departments and other public safety entities. There has to be funds coming their way most assuredly.

Oregon is working on some equally fucked up shit...

Why do people keep voting for the "you can't do this...unless you pay us a lot of money" policies? Aside from being a hair's breadth away from legalized extortion, they don't usually work and the only message they send is "money is more important than the actual issue."

Reactions: Chris
Well Chris the present government has been around for almost 250 years and yet to solve a single problem of mankind. In fact according to that same government things have only gotten worst during their tenure. If government were in the business of solving problems, like climate change, they would be working themselves out of a job. So don't expect rational decisions from government because that would be destructive to their future.

Reactions: Chris
I made this a little more accurate. At least I think I did.

Not quite. I once heard it said, that "it only looks like money when you lay it on the table." The meaning, of course, is that money is only a means to achieving an end, and representative of nothing but that which is exchanged for it. Thus, in reality, money can be many things, all of equal importance when desire is weighed against desire...but the nature of the desire itself can change. In this case, money represents power: rather, the permission and ability to break both rule and practice in exchange for convenience and ease. The money itself is meaningless: it's the power to use it that actually makes a difference.

. . . Please pass the word to your fellow Californians that they should never move to Oregon . . . .

And please pass the word to your fellow Oregonians that they should stay the hell off California highways until they learn how to drive. Where I live it is Invariably some jerkwad with Oregon plates that is holding up traffic on I-5. ;)