Camping lantern

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Being old school, I been looking to protect our 25+ year old camping COLEMAN gas lantern , while stowed away in our LJ
- I dumped my initial idea of modifying a section of large diameter plastic pipe for a feeder scoop from the local farm supplies store
- besides protecting the lantern, it works as a Light shade while being used
- all I needed to add was a small chain to hold the scoop in place and jam a glove between the lantern and scoop, to prevent it from rattling while in transit

~•|||||•~👋🏿

56FB8045-28F1-4B69-8DDE-739B393F02C1.jpeg
F92B3D69-E8FC-46E0-B882-0EA54D37957F.jpeg

Being old school, I been looking to protect our 25+ year old camping COLEMAN gas lantern , while stowed away in our LJ
- I dumped my initial idea of modifying a section of large diameter plastic pipe for a feeder scoop from the local farm supplies store
- all I needed to add was a small chain to hold the scoop in place and jam a glove between the lantern and scoop, to prevent it from rattling while in transit

~•|||||•~👋🏿

View attachment 218745View attachment 218746
That’s cool.
I’ve got an old one that my mom and dad bought back in the mid 70’s. I have their old Coleman stove too.

Last edited:

~•|||||•~👋🏿
I like your setup. I'm not sure I'd change a thing. Each item has a lot of use. And in the cold those lanterns are nice too. I have some around the house, but I don't think I've ever used one of those. Do you all use something like Kerosene or does gas work?

Reactions: Rick Flair
I recently picked one of these up for $28, works great

Streamlight 44931 Siege Compact, Cordless, 7.25" Alkaline Hand Lantern - Coyote - 540 Lumens

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DII7CTI/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I like those too. I have several different types, but I typically use a Milaukee M12 Tripod light for my main camp light and then headlamps and a few small lanterns/area lights.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tool...ent=all-brands_multi__multi_ssh_high-margin__

I like your setup. I'm not sure I'd change a thing. Each item has a lot of use. And in the cold those lanterns are nice too. I have some around the house, but I don't think I've ever used one of those. Do you all use something like Kerosene or does gas work?
I wouldn’t use either !
- Only use recommended “juice”
3273802C-C362-442E-8CBA-DCEF57095A44.jpeg

Lol
- Out of respect for smoke and danger of explosion !!!

~•|||||•~👋🏿

Those are awesome stoves from what I've heard. I think it's just white gas, which is very similar to gasoline.

I have a multi-fuel expedition stove that I leave in the truck, but for backup cooking duties, I can change nozzles and use diesel, kerosene, gasoline, etc. It's kind of neat in some respects but in my area, there's always wood around too...

My torpedo heater I use in the garage, I just run diesel, though it calls for kerosene, but locally kerosene is very expensive and annoying to get, so I just run diesel in it and the run time is a bit better.