Camshaft position sensor (CPS) issues

mikeg1234

Hey guys new to the forum. I joined because since June I’ve been having an ongoing battle with my 06 tj and the cam and crank sensors. I’ve gone through 4 sensors each while also having my friends shop replace both sensors and synch them to truly make sure it was fixed. Two weeks after that my wrangler threw another cam position sensor code and went into limp mode on the highway. I unplugged the computer to reset it and I drove home with no issues. Since then she’s been in the jeep dealership shop trying to figure out the problem but it never went back into limp mode or threw the cam sensor code with them. I replaced the computer in the summer of 2020 and I replaced my O2 sensors before it went into the jeep shop. I think it’s the computer because even though I replaced my o2 sensors it still throws that code as well. If anyone has any idea or thoughts I’d love to hear them. I’ve been dealing with this for so long

Screams bad ground or chaffed/bad connection on signal wire. Probably nothing to do with 5 volt ref being that no other sensors drop out. But, could be intermittent connection there too. Time to break out the scope and get to wiggling. Quit chucking parts at it.

Reactions: hear
Check the wiring as recommended above.

Has someone pulled the OPDA to verify the OPDA and cam gears are not severely worn? If they are, it will not stay in sync.

Hey guys new to the forum. I joined because since June I’ve been having an ongoing battle with my 06 tj and the cam and crank sensors. I’ve gone through 4 sensors each while also having my friends shop replace both sensors and synch them to truly make sure it was fixed. Two weeks after that my wrangler threw another cam position sensor code and went into limp mode on the highway. I unplugged the computer to reset it and I drove home with no issues. Since then she’s been in the jeep dealership shop trying to figure out the problem but it never went back into limp mode or threw the cam sensor code with them. I replaced the computer in the summer of 2020 and I replaced my O2 sensors before it went into the jeep shop. I think it’s the computer because even though I replaced my o2 sensors it still throws that code as well. If anyone has any idea or thoughts I’d love to hear them. I’ve been dealing with this for so long
Could you tell us the exact codes you are getting? Additionally are you using Mopar sensors, if not what are the brands of sensors? If the OPDA has been removed did the shop check TDC at the crank against TDC at the OPDA? Did either shop check power, signal and ground voltage while doing the "old" wiggle check, suggested above?

All questions that need answers before the folks here on the forum can gives educated advise as to your specific issues. Thanks, we are here to help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sideproject
Screams bad ground or chaffed/bad connection on signal wire. Probably nothing to do with 5 volt ref being that no other sensors drop out. But, could be intermittent connection there too. Time to break out the scope and get to wiggling. Quit chucking parts at it.

We checked the wiring we couldn’t see any issues. I’ll go through it again and see what I can find. My biggest issues and thought is that after I had the computer replaced the last time my gauges read above normal and the issues began on my cam sensors including my o2 sensors not registering that they were replaced

I haven’t che

Has someone pulled the OPDA to verify the OPDA and cam gears are not severely worn? If they are, it will not stay in sync the OPDA

Has someone pulled the OPDA to verify the OPDA and cam gears are not severely worn? If they are, it will not stay in sync.

I haven’t checked the OPDA yet I will after I finish up some course work today. I’ve been just reading more and I am seeing why you’re talking about with OPDA and it’s issues. So thank you for your response

Just be sure to set the engine at TDC on Cyl 1 and pin the OPDA before removing. There are videos on how to do it. The FSM is available under the Resources Section on this forum.

We checked the wiring we couldn’t see any issues. I’ll go through it again and see what I can find. My biggest issues and thought is that after I had the computer replaced the last time my gauges read above normal and the issues began on my cam sensors including my o2 sensors not registering that they were replaced

Checking the wiring visually and checking it with tools are two completely different worlds. The scope, and test light won't lie.

Just be sure to set the engine at TDC on Cyl 1 and pin the OPDA before removing. There are videos on how to do it. The FSM is available under the Resources Section on this forum.

I do the OPDA replacement a little different,
1. Get the OPDA TDC pin aligned but not inserted into the alignment holes.
2. The crank TDC should then be checked and if not aligned do so at this point, do not rotate the crank in a reverse direction. If the OPDA TDC pin is no longer aligned don't worry it is OK we were just using it to make sure we were on compression stroke.
3. Remove the old OPDA.
4. The new OPDA should now have the TDC pin installed in the alignment holes.
5. Install the new OPDA in the engine with the alignment pin in place, if the OPDA will not fully seat then you will have to remove the OPDA and use a flat blade screw driver to align the slot in the top of the oil pump with the dog on the end of the OPDA shaft.
6. With the OPDA fully seated, the OPDA TDC pin in place and the crank TDC marks aligned, only then tighten down the OPDA hold down bolt to the torque shown in the FSM.
7. If you are lucky and all the stars align your check engine light will go out after 3 good trips or can be reset with a scanner tool.

If MIL comes on again, then a factory DRBIII scan tool or equal will have to be used to relearn the new ODPA and cam sensor setup. If a relearn is not done then likely in the future the MIL will come back on and your DTC codes will return.

Good Luck

Update. I swapped out my old OPDA sensor which looks like it hasn’t been. Changed since the jeep was made. I visually inspected it and couldn’t see any wear on it. However after installing the new one my issue so far seems to have been fixed (I don’t want to celebrate prematurely) only code being thrown now is my o2 sensors again which I’m going to check the grounding on and wiring. Thank you all for your help

Update. I swapped out my old OPDA sensor which looks like it hasn’t been. Changed since the jeep was made. I visually inspected it and couldn’t see any wear on it. However after installing the new one my issue so far seems to have been fixed (I don’t want to celebrate prematurely) only code being thrown now is my o2 sensors again which I’m going to check the grounding on and wiring. Thank you all for your help

Im going to tell you that based on my experience with my 05, the CEL and o2 sensor code(s) are due to the ethonol in the fuel. I've replaced all the sensors with factory sensors and still had the CEL. I have dealt with the O2 codes for years, even had a dealer tell me the computer is failing, but the PCM is fine, checked grounds, etc. If you can, find someplace with ethonol free gas. Put a tank in and drive. Id be willing to bet after a short while your CEL will go off. I live in Florida where we can get ethonol free at most stations. I have been using the ethonol free gas for over 4 years now and not once has my CEL come on again regarding the O2 sensors. Worth a shot. Let us know if you do this.